NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
Hi,

I need to get my passports transported from India to US. I have found someone to carry them, but he is asking me to provide some link confirming that it is legal..

Any help or links?

Rgds,
aanbaan

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

This topic has been discussed in this forum several times. To review other opinions you can scroll down and go to other pages. However, as per knowledge and belief, transporting an Indian Passport is illegal according to the rules of Indian Government. You cannot send it by mail, courier or by any third person out of the country of residence. But many people take risk and transport it under their own responsibility. So, the decision is yours.

aanbaan said:
Hi,

I need to get my passports transported from India to US. I have found someone to carry them, but he is asking me to provide some link confirming that it is legal..

Any help or links?

Rgds,
aanbaan

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

wilson said:
Hi,

This topic has been discussed in this forum several times. To review other opinions you can scroll down and go to other pages. However, as per knowledge and belief, transporting an Indian Passport is illegal according to the rules of Indian Government. You cannot send it by mail, courier or by any third person out of the country of residence. But many people take risk and transport it under their own responsibility. So, the decision is yours.
It is illegal to mail/courier passports in/out of India. But it is NOT illegal to authorize someone to hand carry it in/out of India.

PMM

sk.aggarwal

Star Member
Aug 26, 2009
US
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 30, 2009
Doc's Request.
October 26, 2009
Nomination.....
-
IELTS Request
October 26, 2009
File Transfer...
October 26, 2009
Med's Request
Feb 2, 2010
Med's Done....
March 1, 2010
Interview........
not done yet
Passport Req..
Feb 2, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
April 03, 2010
LANDED..........
Lets see
2 weeks back, I have sent my passport to India and gave my friend an authorization letter to carry it. However no one questioned it.

AH

Mar 7, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@PMM

I just want to how can you say for sure that it is legal to carry someone's passport with authorization letter.

Please explain...

Thanks

PMM said:
Hi

It is illegal to mail/courier passports in/out of India. But it is NOT illegal to authorize someone to hand carry it in/out of India.

PMM

SISH7255

Nov 19, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2011
There is an email sent by CHC Delhi to one of the forum member. That forum member had copied that email to review. The email clearly say that an authorised person can carry others passport overseas provided he has a notarised authorisatin letter from the passport holders. You can find that email somewhere in this forum. I did it many times, no problem. Don't forget to mention the purpose of sending the passport in the authorization letter, and if have a letter of passport request from CHC ,it is well and good. Don't send it by courier(hiding) at all, because couriers are scanned to see the contents.