Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
I got my citizenship certificate in december and i am waiting for my Canadian passport to come in mail by 25 Jan.

Can one hold passport both Indian and Canadian passport and travel to India? As i was planning to visit in february.

Or if i surrender my passport, do i need to have canadian passport in hand to surrender my IND pp. Then, do i have to wait for cancelled IND pp to come in mail before traveling?
If i do surrender (if i can’t travel with both PP in hand) then i would need to get indian travel visa, how long that visa is valid for?
Thanks

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
I got my citizenship certificate in december and i am waiting for my Canadian passport to come in mail by 25 Jan.

Can one hold passport both Indian and Canadian passport and travel to India? As i was planning to visit in february.

Or if i surrender my passport, do i need to have canadian passport in hand to surrender my IND pp. Then, do i have to wait for cancelled IND pp to come in mail before traveling?
If i do surrender (if i can’t travel with both PP in hand) then i would need to get indian travel visa, how long that visa is valid for?
Thanks

No, you cannot hold both passports. It is a punishable offence

As per the Citizenship Act, 1955

9. Termination of citizenship.―(1) Any citizen of India who by naturalisation, registration otherwise voluntarily acquires, or has at any time between the 26th January, 1950 and the commencement of this Act, voluntarily acquired, the citizenship of another country shall, upon such acquisition or, as the case may be, such commencement, cease to be a citizen of India: Provided that nothing in this sub-section shall apply to a citizen of India who, during any war in which India may be engaged, voluntarily acquires the citizenship of another country, until the Central Government otherwise directs.

17. Offences.―Any person who, for the purpose of procuring anything to be done or not to be done under this Act, knowingly makes any representation which is false in a material particular shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to 1 [five years], or 2 [with fine which may extend to fifty thousand rupees], or with both.

If you go to India, knowingly claiming that you are an Indian Citizen when you have renounced Indian citizenship pursuant to section 9 by voluntarily acquiring citizenship of Canada, you are doing a criminal offence, which can land you in prison and bar you from obtaining a PIO card.

Reactions: lovedeepsingh

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
No, you cannot hold both passports. It is a punishable offence

As per the Citizenship Act, 1955

9. Termination of citizenship.―(1) Any citizen of India who by naturalisation, registration otherwise voluntarily acquires, or has at any time between the 26th January, 1950 and the commencement of this Act, voluntarily acquired, the citizenship of another country shall, upon such acquisition or, as the case may be, such commencement, cease to be a citizen of India: Provided that nothing in this sub-section shall apply to a citizen of India who, during any war in which India may be engaged, voluntarily acquires the citizenship of another country, until the Central Government otherwise directs.

17. Offences.―Any person who, for the purpose of procuring anything to be done or not to be done under this Act, knowingly makes any representation which is false in a material particular shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to 1 [five years], or 2 [with fine which may extend to fifty thousand rupees], or with both.

If you go to India, knowingly claiming that you are an Indian Citizen when you have renounced Indian citizenship pursuant to section 9 by voluntarily acquiring citizenship of Canada, you are doing a criminal offence, which can land you in prison and bar you from obtaining a PIO card.
thanks for the information