+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Surname Change

mairaafzal

Aug 21, 2019
Hi,
I would like to change my surname on my Canadian passport as I got married abroad. What documents you need and how long does it take.

dreematt

Star Member
May 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
March 17, 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 2015 (Up Front)
Hello, Im really confused with my situation so I am really hoping you can help me out?

So I already received AOR of my citizenship application, if I want to change my last name as I am still using the last name of my ex husband, I have the divorce certificate that is granted here in Alberta, can I change my last name before reaching a decision to my application? I was thinking to wait till I received my certificate of citizenship when the time comes then have them change my surname back to my fathers surname.

I am also a Filipino citizen, and I got married back home, ex husband is a Filipino, but filed and granted divorce here in Canada. I know that once became a Canadian citizen I automatically renounce my Filipino Citizenship not unless I apply for dual citizenship is this correct? If this is the case and I want to change my surname back to my fathers surname, can I do so without having any complications entering Philippines one day with a Canadian passport and my name being switch back to fathers surname since I am a Canadian citizen on that time anyway?

I really hope I am making sense with what I am seeking advice with. Thank you so much in advance for helping me out with this.

r1ley

Star Member
Oct 27, 2015
Hello, Im really confused with my situation so I am really hoping you can help me out?

So I already received AOR of my citizenship application, if I want to change my last name as I am still using the last name of my ex husband, I have the divorce certificate that is granted here in Alberta, can I change my last name before reaching a decision to my application? I was thinking to wait till I received my certificate of citizenship when the time comes then have them change my surname back to my fathers surname.

I am also a Filipino citizen, and I got married back home, ex husband is a Filipino, but filed and granted divorce here in Canada. I know that once became a Canadian citizen I automatically renounce my Filipino Citizenship not unless I apply for dual citizenship is this correct? If this is the case and I want to change my surname back to my fathers surname, can I do so without having any complications entering Philippines one day with a Canadian passport and my name being switch back to fathers surname since I am a Canadian citizen on that time anyway?

I really hope I am making sense with what I am seeking advice with. Thank you so much in advance for helping me out with this.
You can wait to change the name when you get citizenship. You can also change the name while the application is in process but it might slow things down a little bit. If you apply to change the name after you receive canadian citizenship you will have to apply for a new citizenship certificate and send IRCC proof of the name change. I believe the processing time is about 5 months or less. You might not be able to get a passport during those 6 months because you will need your new citizenship certificate in hand in order to apply for a canadain passport.

You will not have a probelm travelling back to the Phillipines with your new name and on a Canadian passport. It's a legal name change.

Reactions: dreematt

dreematt

Star Member
May 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
March 17, 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 2015 (Up Front)
You can wait to change the name when you get citizenship. You can also change the name while the application is in process but it might slow things down a little bit. If you apply to change the name after you receive canadian citizenship you will have to apply for a new citizenship certificate and send IRCC proof of the name change. I believe the processing time is about 5 months or less. You might not be able to get a passport during those 6 months because you will need your new citizenship certificate in hand in order to apply for a canadain passport.

You will not have a probelm travelling back to the Phillipines with your new name and on a Canadian passport. It's a legal name change.
Thank you so much