+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport soon expiring

BFassassin

May 11, 2016
Hi,

So I got my COPR in March and at the time I was applying to renew my Irish passport. I was planning on going with my new and old passport to the border to activate my PR.
But my passport application has just been returned to me so I am thinking of flagpolling with my current passport which is going to expire in July along with my COPR.
Do you think this is the right thing to do?
My consultant says I should but just want to find out from as many people as possible.

Thanks
Steve

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Hey why not? I would do it tonight if I were you! It's a super easy process, specially if you go on foot.
Sooner you land sooner you'll get your card, sooner you can apply for citizenship in couple of years.

I landed the hour I received my COPR.

Best of luck,

BFassassin

May 11, 2016
Thanks,

I would have too if my passport wasn't away trying to be renewed.
Everyone seems to think it will be fine so I will give it a try tomorrow.
I was just worried that being valid for only two months would be an issue.

Cabra

Star Member
Sep 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2014
Doc's Request.
Copies of passport 08-03-2016
AOR Received.
19-12-2014
File Transfer...
RPRF 03-03-2016
Med's Request
03-02-2016
Med's Done....
08-02-2016
Passport Req..
04-04-2016 (Received at CIC on April 06th)
VISA ISSUED...
07-04-2016 (Received passports back on April 22nd)
LANDED..........
25-04-2016
Most countries require a passport with validity of at least six month to enter the country. Not sure how that works for landing at the border and by flagpoling at USA.

If you don't live too far away from a border, give it a try and see what happens. And let us know of course ;)

Good luck.

BFassassin

May 11, 2016
Yeah I live pretty close to the border.
This is the doubt that I've been having. I really hope it works out now!

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
BFassassin said:
Yeah I live pretty close to the border.
This is the doubt that I've been having. I really hope it works out now!
You don't have to worry about anything. Just do the flagpole. Worse comes to worst you have to get back in Canada and get a new passport (which I highly doubt) and do the flagpole again.

USA border does not care if you have 1 day left on your passport or 10 years. Basically what you are doing is a flagpole! Meaning you will be denied entry to the US regardless. This is a piece of paper they will issue to you to get back to Canada. (Don't worry there will be no records on your passport and the denial of entry to the US)

Once you are back in Canada they will give you your PR status. Again regardless. If they ever showed concerns about your passport expiry date just say I wanted to do a flagpole first, I will send my passport for renewal today.

Again don't worry, just do the flagpole, it's a very easy and friendly experience.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

jonahyoo

Star Member
Aug 18, 2015
BFassassin said:
Don't know what I was worried about.
It all went smoothly.

Thanks

I have a question for you!!

Did you passport have more than 6 months validity at the moment when you got your CoPR?

because you mentioned you got CoPR on March and your passport will be expired in July, which means that you did not have more than 6 months of your passport.

My consultant says I have to possess passport with more than 6 months to get decision made...

I have no idea which one is right.

BFassassin

May 11, 2016
Yeah it had less than 6 months on it at the time so you should be fine.

I panicked when I saw that on a friends request for passport etc and applied for a new passport.
The very next day I got the request for photos and passport. Luckily I don't need a visa for canada so I just was able to use a copy I had.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
BFassassin said:
Don't know what I was worried about.
It all went smoothly.

Thanks
Nice! I told you. Flagpoling is the easiest step in the immigration process.
Congrats and welcome to Canada ;D