+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport request received from NewYork but I am in India what to do?

kvkp

Apr 11, 2009
Hi All,

I am on work permit and applied for PR from Canada and moved back to India.

I have done my medical from India and now I received passport request from New York Office.

Right now I am in India and I don't want to send my passports through Courier service to New York as it is not legal.

Also I don't want to got to US personally as there was lot of buzz going on deportation/sending back.

What are the options I left with it?

Can I change my address to Indian address Now? Will it effect my application by any means? or Will it get delayed ?

Appreciate your valuable suggestions

adtemporary

Mar 30, 2009
Do you have a tourist visa to the US ? Why could yo not siply travl to NY give your interview and return to India ?

rascojenkins

Jul 25, 2008
I am assuming you got your passport request through your address in the U S. If you have to stay in India for a couple of months or more you can send your passport by express mail to a family member or friend that you trust in the U S to mail it to Buffalo and then when they mail it back with visa they'll send it to you in india and you can take off . Just my opinion

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rascojenkins said:
I am assuming you got your passport request through your address in the U S. If you have to stay in India for a couple of months or more you can send your passport by express mail to a family member or friend that you trust in the U S to mail it to Buffalo and then when they mail it back with visa they'll send it to you in india and you can take off . Just my opinion
One problem it is illegal to mail/courier passports in/out of India. The OP will have to find someone to carry them.

PMM

PCHC

Star Member
Mar 18, 2008
Dear kvlp,

Two have two options:

Option 1: Go personally to New York and have your passport affixed with immigration visa.

Option 2: Send your passports through someone know (may be friend) who can carry your passport to US to visa affix immigration visa at New York and same way get it return to India (Please note: If you are sending your passport through someone then do send authority letter along with your passport to carry your passport outside India country)

I was in same situation and have opted 2 in my case

threshold

May 6, 2009
I was in a similer situation last month. However, I sent my passports to London from Kochi, India by aramex. They (Aramex) told me that it is illegal to send passports by courier and they will not be liable for loss/possible fraud. They however accepted the shipment with a condition that i declare the contents of courier as documents.
The shipment reached London CHC and they send it back by ordinary international post!!! The post man droped an envelop iwith ppt in our mailbox yesterday.

reachmenow

May 21, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Family PGP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2015
Doc's Request.
07-JULY-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
24-06-2016
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
24-June-2016
Med's Request
07-July-2016
Med's Done....
08-Aug-2016
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
21-March-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-March-2017
LANDED..........
Sometime Before August 2017
Hi Thershold,

You were lucky to get your passports back , i have heard few cases wherein the passports were confiscated on screening and only returned after a month or so.
IF this happens to someone ,he will also miss the deadline for stamping given by CIC.

ITs a big risk sending passports by courier hence my sincere suggestion to all is not to take this very risky chance.

Thanks,

huanhuan19

Feb 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
was in Buffalo, USA, later in NY on Aug11,09
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2008
Doc's Request.
03-12-2009
AOR Received.
26-02-2009
File Transfer...
11-08-2009
Med's Request
03-12-2009
Med's Done....
23-12-2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2010
LANDED..........
??-??-2010
Is it illegal to send passport cross countries or only india?

metallica.kyoto

Star Member
May 15, 2013
Dear Everyone,
I have received the passport request from NDVO and I am living in Japan. Most of the courier companies have denied except the DHL which has agreed to send my passport from Japan to NDVO.According to DHL,a passport can be from embassy to embassy or from individual to embassy if a accompanied with a letter for the customs clearance.
On showing the letter from NDVO they have agreed to send my passport.

Has anyone been in the similar situation of mailing passports across the borders which is an way illegal?

Also does NDVO provides extension for passport submission dates when the candidate is living overseas?
Regards,
Manish