+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Request from CIC but Study Program Exceeds Current Passport Validity

JamDan

Jun 4, 2016
I got a letter from MyCIC saying that a decision on my application for a Study Permit has been reached and that I should submit my passport to the VAC within 30 days for further processing of my application. However in the letter they state that my passport must be valid for the duration of my expected length of stay in Canada which based on the College acceptance letter is August 2017, and it just occurred to me that my Jamaican passport expires just before that on July 9, 2017. I also see where it says the visa cant be issued beyond the passport's validity. Which I understand may lead to me having to apply for extension of the visa later on to cover that additional month of study next year after renewing my passport.

I had contacted my local Passport office and I am able to have my passport renewed from now if I wish, which can be done within a business day and then my expiry date of the new Passport would be 10 years from now saving me from the hassle later on. However as I had applied for the study permit online 5 weeks ago using scans of my existing Passport, would that pose an issue with my current application?...and if I can renew it beforehand without setting me back 5 weeks should I submit both the old and new passport through the VAC? :-\

I look forward to any advice or experience anyone can offer. Thanks.

JamDan

Jun 4, 2016
Tried that. VAC said they don't know what I should do in that case and that I would have to ask the High Commission or CIC. So I sent an email to both last week and I still haven't got a response from them.

JamDan

Jun 4, 2016
Ok thanks very much for the input guys. My fear was that in renewing the passport used in the online application via scans to CIC that it would pose an issue when it is stamped cancelled/closed because of the new one. Really don't want to have to start the process all over again so was just checking if anyone had any experience with this.

rajveer14

Feb 18, 2015
if you can't handle the delay, let me tell you another option and you can use the passport as it is. on your passport only visa is stamped for travel purposes i.e for clearing immigration and making your entry in canada before date mentioned in visa.
your actual study permit is issued upon your landing in canada and it is a separate document from your passport.so, if you plan to return or visit your country only after completing your studies or till current passport expires, then you can keep the current passport and after reaching canada renew your passport from embassy.
in case you want to attach your study permit to renewed passport, then you can get it ratified by writing a application to CIC and it will be easier as you will be in canada.
rest do what you think is best for you.

JamDan

Jun 4, 2016
Thank you Rajveer...It is an option I have heard about from a family member and I am seriously considering it, if it is that there will be delays or set backs from CIC because of the cancelling of the original passport used in the online application. As for renewing passport, in Jamaica that can be done in 1 business day for an express fee. Hmm..decisions decisions...I just wish the CIC would have responded already to my query to set all doubt aside. ::)

martha1901

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-06-2016
Hi,

I was in a similar situation had a passport request to finalize our PR application, but unfortunately I just sent my UK passport renewal 2 days prior to the email. What I did, I still sent all the requested documents with a letter of explanation and a receipt of passport renewal. I kept them posted thru email and specific case inquiry as to the update of my passport renewal, got my passport here in Canada in less than 2 weeks, mail a copy to CIC, in 2 working days Canada post return tracker got activated. :)

So if you're saying you could renew your passport in a day, then renew it and send both. I think you'll stay be within the 30 day timeframe.

Hope this helps.

JamDan

Jun 4, 2016
Thanks for taking the time to share Martha...That sounds positive toward my preferred option of being able to take care of the renewal from now.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

JamDan said:
I got a letter from MyCIC saying that a decision on my application for a Study Permit has been reached and that I should submit my passport to the VAC within 30 days for further processing of my application. However in the letter they state that my passport must be valid for the duration of my expected length of stay in Canada which based on the College acceptance letter is August 2017, and it just occurred to me that my Jamaican passport expires just before that on July 9, 2017. I also see where it says the visa cant be issued beyond the passport's validity. Which I understand may lead to me having to apply for extension of the visa later on to cover that additional month of study next year after renewing my passport.

I had contacted my local Passport office and I am able to have my passport renewed from now if I wish, which can be done within a business day and then my expiry date of the new Passport would be 10 years from now saving me from the hassle later on. However as I had applied for the study permit online 5 weeks ago using scans of my existing Passport, would that pose an issue with my current application?...and if I can renew it beforehand without setting me back 5 weeks should I submit both the old and new passport through the VAC? :-\

I look forward to any advice or experience anyone can offer. Thanks.

FYI,

1. Your study permit or TRV remain valid even with an expired passport/lost cases.
2. You will have to carry both passports. No need to inform CIC or file a new application with new PP.

JamDan

Jun 4, 2016
J5M said:
Hi,
FYI,
1. Your study permit or TRV remain valid even with an expired passport/lost cases.
2. You will have to carry both passports. No need to inform CIC or file a new application with new PP.
Thanks J5M...however in my scenario I haven't gotten the Study Visa yet. I am at the stage in my online application process where CIC is asking for my passport presumably to put in the visa however what I am querying is where at this stage having not turn it in yet is if I can have my passport renewed first to have a longer validity period available to cover the program and then turn both the old and new PP in without it causing an issue as I didn't start the online application process with both...i.e. submitted scans etc. Would hate to have to start over from scratch and would much rather extend it later on than start over a 5 week process. Any thoughts on that?

JO@YC

May 16, 2016
JamDan said:
Thanks J5M...however in my scenario I haven't gotten the Study Visa yet. I am at the stage in my online application process where CIC is asking for my passport presumably to put in the visa however what I am querying is where at this stage having not turn it in yet is if I can have my passport renewed first to have a longer validity period available to cover the program and then turn both the old and new PP in without it causing an issue as I didn't start the online application process with both...i.e. submitted scans etc. Would hate to have to start over from scratch and would much rather extend it later on than start over a 5 week process. Any thoughts on that?
Hi
Just renew your passport and submit both. They handle such cases regularly, so, they will affix your TRV on the new passport. Make sure to submit both the old and new passports as the old passport would have been cancelled with all the pages stamped as cancelled. This is the best option for you, as any other option would cause you inconveniences which you won't like. This is based on my personal experience.

JO@YC

May 16, 2016
JamDan said:
Thanks JO@YC!! Did you write a letter to go with it to explain the situation?
Though the letter is not needed, writing one is not a bad idea. So, if you feel more comfortable with a letter, then write one. I didn't write any letter.
Cheers!