+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport replacement needed

ahmedhere

Star Member
Aug 10, 2016
Hey guys,

I applied for PR a few months ago, now they sent me a message asking me to provide a valid copy of my passport...

I'm now sure what does "valid" mean? my current passport will expire in 3 months, is it still valid? and is that a normal letter they send to everyone? or they need me to renew it?

Thank you

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
Put yourself in the shoes of IRCC - if an applicant uses a passport expiring in 3 months and did not submit a renewed one, how can IRCC make sure that the applicant will have a valid passport 3 months from now? Even if they approve your application, where are they going to put the stamp if the applicant's passport is already expired?

It's not a normal letter that they send to everyone but in your case, it's very applicable. It will be wise to renew your passport ASAP.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hey guys,

I applied for PR a few months ago, now they sent me a message asking me to provide a valid copy of my passport...

I'm now sure what does "valid" mean? my current passport will expire in 3 months, is it still valid? and is that a normal letter they send to everyone? or they need me to renew it?

Thank you
get a new one

ahmedhere

Star Member
Aug 10, 2016
Sure, I will renew it, but the deadline they gave me to submit a new one is sep 7!!! to renew mine I will need at least 3 months!

Not sure what should I do? just resubmit mine which still have 3 months? or will it be unacceptable?

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
Sure, I will renew it, but the deadline they gave me to submit a new one is sep 7!!! to renew mine I will need at least 3 months!

Not sure what should I do? just resubmit mine which still have 3 months? or will it be unacceptable?
If I were you, I would do the following:

1. Immediately apply for a new one via the official channel and get an official receipt/notice of application

2. Write an LOE stating that I had already applied for a new one before given deadline (Sep 7), the new passport shall arrive within xzy days and once the new passport arrives I will immediately send IRCC a copy. Maybe also explain why it takes 3 months to get a new passport in your situation.

3. Only if applicable, find the passport renewal guide by your government which might help explain the late renewal (for instance, my government regulates that a citizen can only apply for passport renewal within 6 months before current passport's expiry date).

4. Send the receipt, LOE, and existing yet expiring passport to IRCC (and applicable government passport renewal guideline) as proof of efforts BEFORE Sep 7.

Reactions: Racbil and mpsqra

ahmedhere

Star Member
Aug 10, 2016
If I were you, I would do the following:

1. Immediately apply for a new one via the official channel and get an official receipt/notice of application

2. Write an LOE stating that I had already applied for a new one before given deadline (Sep 7), the new passport shall arrive within xzy days and once the new passport arrives I will immediately send IRCC a copy. Maybe also explain why it takes 3 months to get a new passport in your situation.

3. Only if applicable, find the passport renewal guide by your government which might help explain the late renewal (for instance, my government regulates that a citizen can only apply for passport renewal within 6 months before current passport's expiry date).

4. Send the receipt, LOE, and existing yet expiring passport to IRCC (and applicable government passport renewal guideline) as proof of efforts BEFORE Sep 7.
Where to submit this LOI letter?

riteshbharatiya

Star Member
Apr 8, 2016
Where to submit this LOI letter?
Hi Ahmed, I am CEC inland candidate, AoR 16th May
Medical: "we are reviewing the results of your medical exam" since July 2017. Can you please help me to understand as to what could be different reasona of this status ?

ahmedhere

Star Member
Aug 10, 2016
Hi Ahmed, I am CEC inland candidate, AoR 16th May
Medical: "we are reviewing the results of your medical exam" since July 2017. Can you please help me to understand as to what could be different reasona of this status ?
My case is quite different, I got a procedural fairness letter at first because of medical inadmissibility but I was able to challenge it, I told the details in another thread to help people learn from my experience (haven't posted the last update yet)...so in my case the medical took around 6 months to resolve the issue,

But generally I think there no standard rule, your medical can take anything up to 4 months, if it has been 4 months since you submitted the application and nothing changes then you should call them, that's what the agent told me when I called them a few months ago before I get the procedural fairness letter,

Honestly if I were you I would just call them, the phone call will not harm anyway

Hope this helps

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
My case is quite different, I got a procedural fairness letter at first because of medical inadmissibility but I was able to challenge it, I told the details in another thread to help people learn from my experience (haven't posted the last update yet)...so in my case the medical took around 6 months to resolve the issue,

But generally I think there no standard rule, your medical can take anything up to 4 months, if it has been 4 months since you submitted the application and nothing changes then you should call them, that's what the agent told me when I called them a few months ago before I get the procedural fairness letter,

Honestly if I were you I would just call them, the phone call will not harm anyway

Hope this helps

Hey I am happy to know that you were able to fight it out! I feel so happy for you!

riteshbharatiya

Star Member
Apr 8, 2016

Hope this helps
Hi Ahmed Thanks for the info, I did call the CIC today and the told me they have received the medical reports (After Furtherance) and reviewing it.
I don't know how much time they'd take to review the medical results

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi Ahmed Thanks for the info, I did call the CIC today and the told me they have received the medical reports (After Furtherance) and reviewing it.
3-5 week

ahmedhere

Star Member
Aug 10, 2016
Hey I am happy to know that you were able to fight it out! I feel so happy for you!
Thanks man, yup it was like a miracle, the lawyer said my chances are very low and wanted 6500$ to write the letter! I just ignored him and went to do it on my own and it was super successful,
As I said I will write a reply with the detailed updates in the other thread once I finish dealing with this passport issue

Reactions: DEEPCUR

ahmedhere

Star Member
Aug 10, 2016
For me it took about 4 months after the furtherance letter to get the procedural fairness letter

ahmedhere

Star Member
Aug 10, 2016
Thanks guy, I sent them a copy of my current passport and asked them to use it for the PR processing since it still has 3 months remaining, I also explained in a letter that I will apply for a passport renewal but that may take some time (didn't include receipts or anything cause I have not started the renewal application yet)...

And I just got an email asking me to send them my current passport to be issued the PR confirmation :)

Reactions: mpsqra