+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Renewal out of country

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did anybody apply with a passport renewed out of Canada?
How did it go? did you get a RQ? Did they ask about it during interview?
Thanks

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
they don't care how you got your passport. it's not their concern.

louclouc

Mar 31, 2014
chakrab said:
they don't care how you got your passport. it's not their concern.
Thanks for your answer...Did you renew it in your home country?
I am going there anyways for vacation and renewing it there is really way less expensive

samjohns22

Star Member
Jan 20, 2014
Why you want to take a risk ? If you are living in Canada you are spending thousands of dollars. why bother for extra $ 200 - 300 for renewal, at least you will show that your passport has been issue at Ottawa.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
louclouc said:
Thanks for your answer...Did you renew it in your home country?
I am going there anyways for vacation and renewing it there is really way less expensive
i renewed it from Toronto embassy. much easier to renew Indian passports in Canada, less need for supporting documents and faster timeline.

if you feel it is easier and less expensive, then do it. in the end, it's all about time and money.

applicant20

Feb 19, 2014
I dont have personal experiences neither do I know anyone personally anyone in this situation but, I do remember reading on this forum about a person who waited 7 years to get citizenship because his passport was renewed from his home country. CIC just did not buy into his story that he renewed it when while vacationing there. According to him his file got pushed to the bottom and the whole process took 7 years.

In reply to a post that its non of their concern. I agree, it shouldn't, but the fact of the matter is they are concerned with everything. From your travel to your passport. Even if they are gaps between your expired passport and new passport they raise an eyebrow.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
applicant20 said:
I dont have personal experiences neither do I know anyone personally anyone in this situation but, I do remember reading on this forum about a person who waited 7 years to get citizenship because his passport was renewed from his home country. CIC just did not buy into his story that he renewed it when while vacationing there. According to him his file got pushed to the bottom and the whole process took 7 years.

In reply to a post that its non of their concern. I agree, it shouldn't, but the fact of the matter is they are concerned with everything. From your travel to your passport. Even if they are gaps between your expired passport and new passport they raise an eyebrow.
it depends from person to person. i have known people who got their passport renewed during vacation, because they dont live close to an embassy. also at the interview, the officer hardly checked my passport even though i have heard some applicants getting thoroughly grilled. we hardly talked about my travels or residency. she focused on other inquiries.

gonaaaa

Apr 17, 2013
Yea I applied in person at the office on March 27th and was ready to pay for express 24 hour service but my travel date is may 13th (flying to china) and they said they won't give me express and only charged me for the normal fee. I just wanted the passpot asap because I wanted to drive down to the states this weekend with my friends but I don't have any concrete evidence so that didn't work. But on the recipt it days the passport will be mailed out on April 10th

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gonaaaa said:
Yea I applied in person at the office on March 27th and was ready to pay for express 24 hour service but my travel date is may 13th (flying to china) and they said they won't give me express and only charged me for the normal fee. I just wanted the passpot asap because I wanted to drive down to the states this weekend with my friends but I don't have any concrete evidence so that didn't work. But on the recipt it days the passport will be mailed out on April 10th
Wrong topic. we're not talking about Canadian pport here. It's about obtaining/Renewing your original pport while on a visit overseas and how it may affect the citizenship application.

louclouc

Mar 31, 2014
samjohns22 said:
Why you want to take a risk ? If you are living in Canada you are spending thousands of dollars. why bother for extra $ 200 - 300 for renewal, at least you will show that your passport has been issue at Ottawa.
It is not only for me, it for the family members as well (100 dollars versus 800 dollars)