+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport renewal in home country

louclouc

Mar 31, 2014
I want to renwew my passport (and my family members' passports as well) in my home country upon my visit in the summer.
Will that affect by any means when I apply for my citizenship?

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, but out of curiosity when are you eligible to apply? before or after your summer vacation?
i had my pport renewed back home and i'm applying soon Inshallah.

louclouc

Mar 31, 2014
I still have a long way to go. Not before 2.5 years.
The reason i am asking this is because i heard that when the evaluator sees that your passport was renewed out of Canada, he gives you an RQ.

samjohns22

Star Member
Jan 20, 2014
louclouc , it is preferred to have it renewed here in Canada through your Embassy. even financially it will be little expensive , but this shows that you have good ties to Canada. you do not need to show that you go back to your country to renew your passport.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
louclouc said:
I still have a long way to go. Not before 2.5 years.
The reason i am asking this is because i heard that when the evaluator sees that your passport was renewed out of Canada, he gives you an RQ.
first it's a good thing that you start collecting informations so early. keep in mind though that you'll apply under the new law, so I don't know if in 2.5 years you'd have accumulated 3 or 4 years ! in the meantime try to save as many docs as you can( bills, bank statements.... and make sure your addresses are updated anytime you move.....
Second I don't know about RQ related to having a pport renewed overseas. I'll start a new topic for that and see if anybody had this experience.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
louclouc said:
whoever gave you this information is very much misinformed. infact there are many people who renew the passport in canada because they simply can't go back to their own country.