+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport renewal after landing but before receiving PR Cards

Sun88

May 28, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I need some information regarding passport renewal. I did my landing on October 22nd and I need to travel to my home country before my PR card arrives and I also need to renew my passport. I have following questions.

1) Would it be an issue if I apply for my PRTD with the new passport even though COPR has old passport number?
2) As I am a permanent resident, is it necessary to have 6 months validity in passport to enter Canada?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Sun88 said:
Hi Everyone,

I need some information regarding passport renewal. I did my landing on October 22nd and I need to travel to my home country before my PR card arrives and I also need to renew my passport. I have following questions.

1) Would it be an issue if I apply for my PRTD with the new passport even though COPR has old passport number?
2) As I am a permanent resident, is it necessary to have 6 months validity in passport to enter Canada?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.
1. I don't see any issues. When you apply for PRTD, the application package will state about sending photocopies of all passports that you have used in past 5 years. Thus, you need to send current original passport and photocopies of all passports held in past 5 years.
Here is the link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

2. I am not too sure. However, i think 6 months validity is applicable for people visiting the country. I would suggest you to contact CIC call centre to confirm the details: 1-888-242-2100. By the way, the date you will applying for PRTD, how much validity would be left on your existing passport?

Sun88

May 28, 2014
thecoolguysam said:
1. I don't see any issues. When you apply for PRTD, the application package will state about sending photocopies of all passports that you have used in past 5 years. Thus, you need to send current original passport and photocopies of all passports held in past 5 years.
Here is the link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

2. I am not too sure. However, i think 6 months validity is applicable for people visiting the country. I would suggest you to contact CIC call centre to confirm the details: 1-888-242-2100. By the way, the date you will applying for PRTD, how much validity would be left on your existing passport?
Thank you, thecoolguysam.

When I apply for PRTD I will have validity of 5 months in my passport. I will call up CIC now to find out if there is any such requirement.

Kirsty_A

Aug 17, 2017
Sun88 -did you get an answer to this?
My circumstances are:
COPR issued - landing in Oct 17.
Husband's passport expires Mar18 (so won't have 6 months on at landing)
Can' decide whether to renew passport now (but will that cause issues on landing?) or as we are coming and going for the first few months (so no PR card) whether to wait until after landing and renew it whilst in UK, and just have the issue of the change at PRTD application stage?

R

rish888

As a PR you don't need to have 6 months validity in your passport.

The reason the 6 month club exists is so there is no situation/possibility where your passport expires while in Canada and you are unable to leave the country or possibly overstay your visa etc.

As a PR no one cares how long you stay in Canada. (They only care if you understay.) So you should have no issue applying for a PRTD with 5 months.

(But your passport should still be valid on your date of intended travel and ideally a little beyond that since you can't be flying on an expired passport.)

Kirsty_A

Aug 17, 2017
As a PR you don't need to have 6 months validity in your passport.

The reason the 6 month club exists is so there is no situation/possibility where your passport expires while in Canada and you are unable to leave the country or possibly overstay your visa etc.

As a PR no one cares how long you stay in Canada. (They only care if you understay.) So you should have no issue applying for a PRTD with 5 months.

(But your passport should still be valid on your date of intended travel and ideally a little beyond that since you can't be flying on an expired passport.)
Thanks.
My issue is more that we would rather apply for the passport before landing for COPR as after that it will be a bit crazy (house and job hunting etc) so we'd rather get it done before landing so it's out of the way for another 10 years :) But if we do that, I don't want to have issues on landing with a 'changed' passport?

R

rish888

I would guess as long as you travel with both your valid passport and the passport with the PR visa you shouldn't have an issue. I would call your local VO to double check this though.

Reactions: Kirsty_A