+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport expiration date when applying for citizenship

Asker302

Star Member
May 27, 2016
I'm eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship and want to apply some time next month or August

My original passport is expiring this July.
Does this makes any difference in my application?

Should I renew my passport before I apply for Canadian citizenship?
I don't intent to travel soon so I am not in a rush to renew my original passport

Would it be OK to let my passport expire and renew it sometime later. I.e. creating a gap between old passport and a new one

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just give a covering letter on the passport expiry, non renewal or gaps, if any, if you are sending the application after passport expiry. The best bet is to send the application before passport expiry.
After applying for citizenship, if you renew the passport, just let the CIC know and send a copy at that time.

jungle010711

Star Member
Oct 10, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
not a problem at all..as long as you have no intention to travel outside canada in case you have an emergency or something like that. my passport expiry is dec 2015 and i sent my application may 5, 2016. i just include a letter of explanation that i did not renew my passport because i dont have any plan to travel outside canada while my application is on process and i believe it is non sense that you will renew your old passport and in couple months you will get canadian passport. I took a test today and waiting for the oath invitation.. goodluck on your application, hoping for a smooth sailing!!

Reactions: Danielari2016

Asker302

Star Member
May 27, 2016
jungle010711 said:
not a problem at all..as long as you have no intention to travel outside canada in case you have an emergency or something like that. my passport expiry is dec 2015 and i sent my application may 5, 2016. i just include a letter of explanation that i did not renew my passport because i dont have any plan to travel outside canada while my application is on process and i believe it is non sense that you will renew your old passport and in couple months you will get canadian passport. I took a test today and waiting for the oath invitation.. goodluck on your application, hoping for a smooth sailing!!

Thank you for the answers

Probably can't submit the application before the application date because I want to accumulate a significant buffer, I have 60-70 days absence on 10+ different occasions
Also would probably need to renew the passport anyway as the processing time is unknown and I don't want to be caught without the possibility to travel abroad for undetermined period of time

Danielari2016

Star Member
Jan 25, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
16-02-2016
AOR Received.
16-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-06-2016
LANDED..........
14-06-2016

Hi
Did you get your citizenship? did they ask any explanation letter or returned your application anything because i will be qualify on August 11 and my passport will expire on September 11 but i am not thinking about renew or extension until i get Canadian Passport.