+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport application without guarantor

Pixiegirl

Star Member
Mar 26, 2018
Hello,

Would anyone have experience applying for passport without having guarantor?

I moved province and at the moment I have no one who could be a guarantor for my application here in Ontario.

I know I have to fill out form PPTC 132 (Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor).

Did anyone have any troubles when applying this way?

Does it cost a lot to have that declaration signed? Where would be the best place to have it done?

Any info will help!

zeste

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
Hello,

I moved province and at the moment I have no one who could be a guarantor for my application here in Ontario.

I know I have to fill out form PPTC 132 (Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor).

Does it cost a lot to have that declaration signed? Where would be the best place to have it done?

Any info will help!
I'm not sure but I think the guarantor doesn't have to live in the same province that you apply for passport. If you know an eligible person in the province you previously lived (as long as he/she has a valid canadian passport and knows you for 2 years is good enough) just mail him/her the application to sign it and mail it back. I think this could work but better ask the passport office.

Reactions: JPBless

Pixiegirl

Star Member
Mar 26, 2018
I'm not sure but I think the guarantor doesn't have to live in the same province that you apply for passport. If you know an eligible person in the province you previously lived (as long as he/she has a valid canadian passport and knows you for 2 years is good enough) just mail him/her the application to sign it and mail it back. I think this could work but better ask the passport office.
This is what I am trying to avoid. With Canada Post not being very reliable, I don't want to be mailing applications back and forth.
This is why we want to use that other form.
To be honest we are only few months short of "knowing" someone for the required amount of time, but we want to apply for passports now as we travel quite a lot.
To be honest, I was very surprised seeing all the requirements for simple passport application. I lived in European countries and there is no such requirements. If you are a citizen, you fill out a simple form (that doesn't ask you where you have lived or what you were doing for the last 3 years, just what your address is and your features to put in the passport) and provide the photos - that's it.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
This is what I am trying to avoid. With Canada Post not being very reliable, I don't want to be mailing applications back and forth.
This is why we want to use that other form.
To be honest we are only few months short of "knowing" someone for the required amount of time, but we want to apply for passports now as we travel quite a lot.
To be honest, I was very surprised seeing all the requirements for simple passport application. I lived in European countries and there is no such requirements. If you are a citizen, you fill out a simple form (that doesn't ask you where you have lived or what you were doing for the last 3 years, just what your address is and your features to put in the passport) and provide the photos - that's it.
In the UK now, for your very first passport, you may well be called for an interview. So, not every country is lax. https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport/your-passport-interview
https://www.passports-office.co.uk/blog/passport_interview_what_they_ask/

Lovekesh

Jul 13, 2017
Hello,

Any info will help!
Hi,

Did you get to apply for new passport without guarantor? May you please suggest me how did you do that and how long does it take?
I am in Ontario and have to apply for fresh passport for my newborn baby. But I dont have any guarantor.

Thanks!