+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Application - Name Change question

b52shot

Star Member
Oct 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was researching how can myself and my wife have our names different when applying for new passports.

My Wife wants to assume the marriage name and drop two names from her given name.

Her given name is her first name + father's name + grand father's name

So the final name she wants is: First name + Marriage last name

Now for marriage last name, all she have to submit is a marriage certificate. (I assume they accept overseas marriage certificates)
For the Given name, it says:
Note that you will need another form of identification that supports the name you want to appear in your passport (for example, a driver’s license).
My question is how is he going to submit another form of identification if all of her ids have the format of first name + father's name + grand father's name ? Can't she just drop her father's and grandfather's name?

I also have the same issue with having to inherit my father's initial and my grand father's initial with my given name and would like to drop these.

If anyone went through a similar situation let me know what have you done.

Thanks

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
b52shot said:
I was researching how can myself and my wife have our names different when applying for new passports.

My Wife wants to assume the marriage name and drop two names from her given name.

Now for marriage last name, all she have to submit is a marriage certificate. (I assume they accept overseas marriage certificates)
Note that you will need another form of identification that supports the name you want to appear in your passport (for example, a driver’s license).
My question is how is he going to submit another form of identification if all of her ids have the format of first name + father's name + grand father's name ? Can't she just drop her father's and grandfather's name?

I also have the same issue with having to inherit my father's initial and my grand father's initial with my given name and would like to drop these.

Thanks
The name will be according to the citizenship certificate:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/name-change.asp

If just the surname needs to be changed then the marriage certificate will help, otherwise dropping the name may require a legal name change. I may be wrong but wait for someone with the similar situation to respond.

ganapathi

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2014
AOR Received.
29-05-2014
Med's Request
10-02-2015
Med's Done....
04-03-2015
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
b52shot said:

Thanks
you need a apply for name change certificate that will be issued based on the province you live. For example if you live in Saskatchewan then you need to apply for name change certificate. It takes 4 weeks then using that name change certificate you can change all you ids. Then using new ids you can apply for passport. that's how its works.

b52shot

Star Member
Oct 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm assuming the name change certificate you are talking about is basically applying to legally change your name. Bummer, I just wanted to show the first name of my given name and hide the rest. Oh well, thanks anyways.

b52shot

Star Member
Oct 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have another question guys. If my wife wants to keep her given name and only assume our marriage name in her passport (so no legal change is required here), she is going to support the last name change by submitting a marriage certificate. My question is, do the identity documents she is submitting as part of the passport application have to have her marriage name too, or can they remain with her original last name? The below link mentions nothing:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/name-change.asp

But then I came across this link which is dated back to 2014 which states the identity documents also need to have the marriage name
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-09-18.asp

So what is the requirement ?