+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport 10 vs 5 years

Woodex

Sep 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
I wonder if US is one of them. They probably doesn't want Dual Americans to use Canadian Passport with missing birth place to avoid being accused of being American avoiding filing taxes.
you maybe right! Even if you put your country of birth USA will still search names against all diff database.

CIC1973

Star Member
Apr 10, 2014
Thanks bud. Not sure why someone wants to have that not listed but it is nice to have a choice...

montrealia said:
According to the instructions on page 5, section H of the passport application, if you don't want your passport to show your place of birth, you must fill form PPTC 077

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC1973 said:
Thanks bud. Not sure why someone wants to have that not listed but it is nice to have a choice...
I was born in Africa and I'm a French citizen. When I had my country of birth listed in my passport, I was systematically being subject to more controls, questions, etc. Even though I'm of european descent.

When France stopped displaying country of birth (now it's only the city on most European passports), everything suddenly stopped. I never had any question about my country of birth and the city is not indicative at all. So I'd perfectly understand why someone wouldn't like to display the country of birth, it's not a matter of pride or shame, it's just more practical, and I'll request it if granted Canadian citizenship.

Woodex

Sep 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
admontreal said:
I was born in Africa and I'm a French citizen. When I had my country of birth listed in my passport, I was systematically being subject to more controls, questions, etc. Even though I'm of european descent.

When France stopped displaying country of birth (now it's only the city on most European passports), everything suddenly stopped. I never had any question about my country of birth and the city is not indicative at all. So I'd perfectly understand why someone wouldn't like to display the country of birth, it's not a matter of pride or shame, it's just more practical, and I'll request it if granted Canadian citizenship.
Are you saying because you're from Africa that's why they scrutinize you more? Maybe your country have Muslim majority and it must be after 9/11. I can't believe someone would discriminate to that extend.

Jul 14, 2014
I read on the CIC website that if you chose to remove the city and country, then there might be problems.
How about just putting the city name and not the country?
Does anyone have any experience?

Pureminded

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadaimmigrant2014 said:
I read on the CIC website that if you chose to remove the city and country, then there might be problems.
How about just putting the city name and not the country?
Does anyone have any experience?
You can't get just the city on the passport unless you were born in Canada.

Take Saint-Louis which is a city in both the US and Senegal; I highly doubt you'd get a decent treatment if you were born on the African side.

There will be problems in many parts of the world if you don't have the place of birth on your passport for sure.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Pureminded said:

Take Saint-Louis which is a city in both the US and Senegal; I highly doubt you'd get a decent treatment if you were born on the African side.

There will be problems in many parts of the world if you don't have the place of birth on your passport for sure.
I agree. Do expect a lot of hassle trying to enter countries with birth place missing from passport. They will think you got something to hide. You are only setting yourself up for more scrutiny at customs.

Imagine a son born in Greece and immigrated to Canada and got Canadian citizenship. Would suspect Greece would accuse him of trying to avoid military service if he tried to enter Greece as an adult with birth place missing. They will probably investigate all male foreigners with missing birth place in passport to ensure he is not Greek citizen avoiding military service.

Pureminded

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
I agree. Do expect a lot of hassle trying to enter countries with birth place missing from passport. They will think you got something to hide. You are only setting yourself up for more scrutiny at customs.

Imagine a son born in Greece and immigrated to Canada and got Canadian citizenship. Would suspect Greece would accuse him of trying to avoid military service if he tried to enter Greece as an adult with birth place missing. They will probably investigate all male foreigners with missing birth place in passport to ensure he is not Greek citizen avoiding military service.
Greek last names are straightforward to detect though :D

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Pureminded said:
Greek last names are straightforward to detect though :D
Those are sometimes obvious. What if you have a Greek mother and a non-Greek father.

Screech339

Woodex

Sep 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pureminded said:

Pureminded , so if you're born in African side you bound to receive bad treatment? Some Africa countries are not poor the way media portrait the continent. In fact, some of there citizens are living a good life more than Canadian citizen.

Aug 26, 2014
Budapest
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2014
Doc's Request.
03-12-2014
File Transfer...
01-10-2014
Med's Done....
15-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2014
I just recently joined the forum, and finding amazing info. When I last renewed my passport there was no 10 year option, but I'm very glad to read there is a 10 year option now as it's annoying to renew every 5 years, and from what I read more costly too!

Pureminded

Star Member
Feb 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Woodex said:
Pureminded , so if you're born in African side you bound to receive bad treatment? Some Africa countries are not poor the way media portrait the continent. In fact, some of there citizens are living a good life more than Canadian citizen.
I'm African and I know what I'm talking about :)

Woodex

Sep 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pureminded said:
I'm African and I know what I'm talking about :)
It is very bad for anyone to judge an individual based on COB, colour, or religion because human beings have unique characteristic. Children of same parents and upbringing turned out different, one might be serial killer and another a lawyer. I know in today world, people see skin color follow by religion before someone even prove s/he self worth. It's sad! :'( :'( :'( :'(

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got the 10 years one because I want to have the NEXUS card for the same duration.