+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

passed first stage of approval - Vacation?

dutra

Dec 13, 2009
Hello!

I am Portuguese and I married a Canadian woman. I came as a turist to canada and then my wife sponsored me to apply for the residency permit, and the working permit. I got my temporary working permit last week, and it says i passed the first stage of approval for the residency permit.
Since i got this working permit now and since i am not working yet, my wife started to thinking about getting some vacation so that we could go to Portugal to spend Christmas and the New Year.
The thing is the temporary working permit states that it cannot be used for re-entry.
Can i go to Portugal and re-enter Canada without any problem, or will i have problems to get in again?
If I can go, do I need some type of document?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not valid for re-entry means it can only be used for travel to the U.S.A. or St-Pierre-et-Miquelon.

There is no guarantee that you would be readmitted once you leave. I'm not sure what would happen to your work permit if you do get readmitted.

That being said, if I were in your situation, I would not leave Canada until I have my PR.

dutra said:
Hello!

I am Portuguese and I married a Canadian woman. I came as a turist to canada and then my wife sponsored me to apply for the residency permit, and the working permit. I got my temporary working permit last week, and it says i passed the first stage of approval for the residency permit.
Since i got this working permit now and since i am not working yet, my wife started to thinking about getting some vacation so that we could go to Portugal to spend Christmas and the New Year.
The thing is the temporary working permit states that it cannot be used for re-entry.
Can i go to Portugal and re-enter Canada without any problem, or will i have problems to get in again?
If I can go, do I need some type of document?

commonwealth

Nov 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You might be able to travel on your Portuguese Passport. Karl is well versed in this subject so you might want to consider his input.
Happy holidays....