+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program (PGP) 2023

KGoel

May 15, 2018
Thanks @YVR123 for your response ! I've actually gone through these instructions, however it says - If you don’t have a family name on your passport or travel document, enter all given names in the family name field and leave the given name blank.

But the problem is - in the pdf IMM5406 form, it seems both are mandatory to fill, otherwise it gives error when you click Validate !
Secondly they also write in another instruction not to leave any field blank :rolleyes:

Thanks

This is the portion I found in the PGP guide:
Guide 5772 – Application to Sponsor Parents and Grandparents - Canada.ca
Enter names into forms exactly as they appear on the person’s passport. If there are any differences in how a name is displayed on other identification, provide documents to support the difference (for example, a legal proof of name change, if you changed your name) or a letter of explanation (if it’s a discrepancy between legal documents, such as a different name on your birth certificate). Upload your explanation to the online application under the section “Additional supporting documents” and select the document name “Letter of explanation.”

• If you don’t know a family member’s complete date of birth, use “01” in place of the day, month or year you don’t know. Include a letter of explanation saying why you couldn’t include the complete date.
  • If you don’t have a family name on your passport or travel document, enter all given names in the family name field and leave the given name blank.
  • If you don’t have a given name on your passport or travel document, leave the given name field blank.
  • If the name on your status in Canada document (citizenship certificate, permanent resident card, etc.) is different than on your other supporting documents (for example, your birth certificate), you should attach a proof of name change and a letter of explanation.
I don't know if the instruction will work on "online forms". Others who have the same case may know exactly how to fill them.

Last edited:

azarme09

Oct 25, 2013
App. Filed.......
22-10-2018
Got the following for my parents: "Application for Permanent Residence for your relative will be forwarded to Vancouver Immigration"
My spouse took a long time to do his taxes so it took me a while to get sponsorship approval (applied in October 2022).
Any idea how long it will take from here?

bhisham108

Feb 29, 2024
My parents are not very tech savvy. So I end up doing things for them. I can create the separate GC Key account for my dad and see if its works. Although GCkey account does not really ask for personal details so does it really matter ?
It doesn’t matter. But when you are linking the application with the GCKey account, the particulars being asked, like date of birth etc, should be of the principal applicant.

Reactions: Blessed_ritu

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks @YVR123 for your response ! I've actually gone through these instructions, however it says - If you don’t have a family name on your passport or travel document, enter all given names in the family name field and leave the given name blank.

But the problem is - in the pdf IMM5406 form, it seems both are mandatory to fill, otherwise it gives error when you click Validate !
Secondly they also write in another instruction not to leave any field blank :rolleyes:

Thanks
I remember seeing this question from other members but I don't remember how it was addressed.... sorry.

Tykoon

Dec 15, 2023

Thanks
just write anything- validate - delete afterwards

Reactions: YVR123

Shankar Iyer

Star Member
Jan 20, 2014
Mine is a bit unique case so the data wont really be helpful to you or anyone most likely.
I applied in 2021, got refused on MNI grounds as i moved in 2018 and couldnt meet MNI for that year, appealed, got it overturned, reopened the file and here we are lol. Everything happened in Canada like medicals etc. But timeline wont really be helpful as everything went at snail's pace lol
Wow that's a real story you got !!

Reactions: viraj7565

csvinayak

Star Member
Jul 9, 2010
Inland applicant
I have received email to confirm my dad PR
IRCC - Permanent Residence Portal (PR Confirmation) /
This email is 2 step process. Once it's received and ircc sets up , ecopr will be available followed by PR card,
The email has all the necessary info.

Just my piece of advice, whatever info they ask please send them on time and you should be good,
Good luck to all

KGoel

May 15, 2018
Thanks @YVR123 and @Tykoon
I was thinking of the same as the validation doesn't put anything on form. To delete given name (put given name in last name) and print the same, right?
The only other problem here is they say 'No fields should be left blank' no problem there? Do you know anyone tried keeping their one of the name field blank?

Thanks again

just write anything- validate - delete afterwards

Nedi27

Oct 19, 2023
How strict are the medical requirements and what are the grounds for being denied, my mom who is the principal applicant have good health aside from low blood pressure and a little cholesterol she's good. While my dad have diabetes (no insulin required), weak heart so he has maintenance medicine for that, one regular medication for anxiety. He also have cataract on one of his eyes that needs operation but the other eyes and is good. I worried that he may fail the medical.

bhisham108

Feb 29, 2024
How strict are the medical requirements and what are the grounds for being denied, my mom who is the principal applicant have good health aside from low blood pressure and a little cholesterol she's good. While my dad have diabetes (no insulin required), weak heart so he has maintenance medicine for that, one regular medication for anxiety. He also have cataract on one of his eyes that needs operation but the other eyes and is good. I worried that he may fail the medical.
As long as the medical results are low risk or no risk to public health or public safety, no need to worry.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
As long as the medical results are low risk or no risk to public health or public safety, no need to worry.
That's only true for spousal/dependent sponsorship. For PGP, they need to pass medical without having condition that results in excessive demand of the healthcare/social system.
For Nedi27, I think if the diabetic is not serious and won't need things like dialysis in a few years, it's most likely fine. But it's up to the medical reviewer. (just do the exams and wait. there is not much you can do.)

Reactions: bhisham108