+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program(PGP) 2022

Lucifer Yang

Feb 27, 2017
Hello everyone, I just received PPR letter for my parent-in-law. Please find timeline in my signature.

I do have some questions of landing. Can they take a short landing (approx. 20 days) through Pearson airport and then leave? If so, can they buy a round trip flight ticket? I am just worried that the immigration officer will ask them for the duration of first landing and ask for flight ticket. If someone has short landing experience, please kindly advise. Thanks.

Reactions: Lambo-s-LAW

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello everyone, I just received PPR letter for my parent-in-law. Please find timeline in my signature.

I do have some questions of landing. Can they take a short landing (approx. 20 days) through Pearson airport and then leave? If so, can they buy a round trip flight ticket? I am just worried that the immigration officer will ask them for the duration of first landing and ask for flight ticket. If someone has short landing experience, please kindly advise. Thanks.
Soft landing is fine. Make sure that they know about OR and plan to come back and meet their RO.

kg_bang

May 6, 2011
Regina
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31-05-2011
Doc's Request.
submitted with application
AOR Received.
1st AOR on 28-07-2011, 2nd AOR 23-08-2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
22-08-2011
Med's Request
13-12-11
Med's Done....
26-12-11
Interview........
waived.........
Passport Req..
13-12-11
VISA ISSUED...
3/2/12
LANDED..........
21st June, 2012
Hi,
My parents are planning for soft landing this summer. Anyone in this thread whose parents have already done landing, how long did it take to get PR card? Does this depends on the port of entry or address mentioned to forward PR card? If it matters then whose address should they provide, I am in Saskatchewan and my sister is in Brampton.
Thanks.

Lucifer Yang

Feb 27, 2017
Soft landing is fine. Make sure that they know about OR and plan to come back and meet their RO.
Hi, what is "OR" and "RO"? also, does officer ask questions like "how long will you stay"? I think visitors are supposed to write days of stay in declaration form when enter Canada. any troubles if they write like 20 days in the form?

techie85

Star Member
Jun 24, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-12-2015
Nomination.....
08-11-2016
AOR Received.
22-06-2016
Hi all,

We got the eCOPR yesterday. Thanks everyone for support.

I have a question, the Valid to date for the COPR is in Oct this year itself. Shouldn't the PR be valid for 5 years or this is some other validity date.

I see the issue date as yesterday's and Valid to date for Oct 2024 in COPR.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi all,

We got the eCOPR yesterday. Thanks everyone for support.

I have a question, the Valid to date for the COPR is in Oct this year itself. Shouldn't the PR be valid for 5 years or this is some other validity date.

I see the issue date as yesterday's and Valid to date for Oct 2024 in COPR.
You have mixed up. PR status do not "expired". You will receive a PR card and that card will have an expiry date (usually 5 years).
You will need to make sure that you meet your PR residency obligation (live in Canada at least 2 years within the first 5 years since landing/getting your eCOPR).

You need a valid PR card to travel back to Canada via commerical transport (flight, train, bus, ship, ferry ...etc)

To renew your PR card, you will need to meet your RO and apply inside Canada.

Reactions: techie85

techie85

Star Member
Jun 24, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-12-2015
Nomination.....
08-11-2016
AOR Received.
22-06-2016
are you able to download ? I don't see any option to download in PR portal it's status just say "IRCC in Review" and no link to download eCOPR.
Well go into that main page where it shows photo submitted, then at the bottom of the page, you will see a big Download button, click that. Try from different browser if Chrome doesn't work.

Reactions: sameer19

techie85

Star Member
Jun 24, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-12-2015
Nomination.....
08-11-2016
AOR Received.
22-06-2016
You have mixed up. PR status do not "expired". You will receive a PR card and that card will have an expiry date (usually 5 years).
You will need to make sure that you meet your PR residency obligation (live in Canada at least 2 years within the first 5 years since landing/getting your eCOPR).

You need a valid PR card to travel back to Canada via commerical transport (flight, train, bus, ship, ferry ...etc)

To renew your PR card, you will need to meet your RO and apply inside Canada.
Thanks for information. Any idea what that "Valid To" date means then.

Also, another question I have is that my mother's return is planned in 2 weeks, if the PR card doesn't come by then, is it legal and allowed to carry her PR card by us to India whenever we travel there?

Also, can someone guide about the next steps about applying OHIP etc. Can we do it right away?

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
Thanks for information. Any idea what that "Valid To" date means then.

Also, another question I have is that my mother's return is planned in 2 weeks, if the PR card doesn't come by then, is it legal and allowed to carry her PR card by us to India whenever we travel there?

Also, can someone guide about the next steps about applying OHIP etc. Can we do it right away?
This is what I did after eCopr. Did a walk-in to the nearest Service Canada for SIN next morning. Got the SIN within 1hr. Then drove up to RBC got bank accounts. Also got a printout of the debit card with the address and RBC stamp on it. Took 30 mins for the whole process.

Service ontario was in the same mall, so walked-in they accepted the RBC document for address proof and issued the OHIP paper health card. Took 45 mins as theres a form to fill in.

Then drove to our family doctor, added parents to same doctor and scheduled appointment for general checkup. Simultaniously added parents to insurance for drug coverage, vision and dental. All done same day by noon.

Last edited:

sameer19

Star Member
Mar 12, 2022
This is what I did after eCopr. Did a walk-in to the nearest Service Canada for SIN next morning. Got the SIN within 1hr. Then drove up to RBC got bank accounts. Also got a printout of the debit card with the address and RBC stamp on it. Took 30 mins for the whole process.

Service ontario was in the same mall, so walked-in they accepted the RBC document for address proof and issued the OHIP paper health card. Took 45 mins as theres a form to fill in.

Then drove to our family doctor, added parents to same doctor and scheduled appointment for general checkup. Simultaniously added parents to insurance for drug coverage, vision and dental. All done same day by noon.
Which service Ontario did you went can you please let me know. After opening account in bank I went to service Ontario in Ajax and they said that pre authorization form from bank is not valid address proof you have to wait till you get bank statement.

techie85

Star Member
Jun 24, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-12-2015
Nomination.....
08-11-2016
AOR Received.
22-06-2016

Thanks for the detailed information, really appreciate.

If you also please share that what kind of account did you open. Did it had the monthly charges or those could be waived off by maintaining some minimum balance.

sameer19

Star Member
Mar 12, 2022
With CIBC it’s free full package account ( include checking, saving and credit card)for 2 years. Also if you have travel insurance that also has address proof. In my case I took void check from bank and travel insurance they accepted it.

Reactions: techie85

techie85

Star Member
Jun 24, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-12-2015
Nomination.....
08-11-2016
AOR Received.
22-06-2016
Thanks for the detailed information, really appreciate.

If you also please share that what kind of account did you open. Did it had the monthly charges or those could be waived off by maintaining some minimum balance.
Thanks very much. This information is so helpful. So I can apply for OHIP even without opening the bank account with the Travel Insurance document.

UPDATE - looks like the Travel Insurance is not accepted as an address proof.

Last edited:
Reactions: sameer19