+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2018

curious205

Mar 20, 2018
Hello guys, I have question, if someone experience here that sibling who 22 years old older and full time student was approved the application as dependant of parents? If I will be lucky tomorrow and will be invited, I am just wondering if I could include my brother as dependant of my parents. Thanks
Unfortunately, I don’t think your brother qualifies. Here is the link for age limit on dependent https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/age-limit-requirements-dependent-children.html

According the definition, your brother must be “under” 22 years of age. If he’s over 22, he must have been depending on your parents before the age of 22 And have mental or physical disability.

Definition of dependent children with new age limit
The age limit of dependent children has changed from “under 19” to “under 22.”

Children qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:

• they’re under 22 years old, and
  • they don’t have a spouse or partner
Dependants over the age limit
Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:

• they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22, and
  • they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition
See the previous definitions of dependent children.

Mattyvain

Jul 1, 2017
Unfortunately, I don’t think your brother qualifies. Here is the link for age limit on dependent https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/age-limit-requirements-dependent-children.html

According the definition, your brother must be “under” 22 years of age. If he’s over 22, he must have been depending on your parents before the age of 22 And have mental or physical disability.

Definition of dependent children with new age limit
The age limit of dependent children has changed from “under 19” to “under 22.”

Children qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:

• they’re under 22 years old, and
  • they don’t have a spouse or partner
Dependants over the age limit
Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:

• they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22, and
  • they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition
See the previous definitions of dependent children.
Thanks for reply, my brother is dependent since before 22 and still studying now, but now he is 23 years old and he will be graduating next year.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks for reply, my brother is dependent since before 22 and still studying now, but now he is 23 years old and he will be graduating next year.
It doesn't matter if he is getting money from your parents....
It's really clear that he needs to be handicap or mentally ill (sorry for the straight terms but I don't think you are getting it) to be a dependent at the age of 23.

Canada USED to have different definition of dependents years ago (which allowed older children over the age of 19 and studying full time to be considered as dependents). BUT that was changed A long time ago... and under the current definition, your brother is NOT considered a dependent.

Ask him to finish his school and try to get some local work experience and get his own PR via Express Entry or PNP.

Chikki24

Aug 11, 2018
My sister was 21 years old when cic received my application.. but now she's 22 .. she still qualifies to be dependant to my parents application?

curious205

Mar 20, 2018
My sister was 21 years old when cic received my application.. but now she's 22 .. she still qualifies to be dependant to my parents application?
Yes. She was unders 22 when application was received. As long as she meets other requirements such as not being married and have dependent of her own etc., then she meets the definition as dependent.

Chikki24

Aug 11, 2018
Yes. She was unders 22 when application was received. As long as she meets other requirements such as not being married and have dependent of her own etc., then she meets the definition as dependent.

So means if she has baby she can't be dependentchild anymore?

curious205

Mar 20, 2018
Thanks to reply!
My consultant says different!
Anyways thank you again!
Well, I’ve been known to be wrong on more than one occasions. So, it wouldn’t surprise me if I’m wrong this time again. Lol

But, I’m pretty sure she must not be married and must be under 22 when the application was received. CIC definition even printed the word “both” in bold letter. Link to definition: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/age-limit-requirements-dependent-children.html

I haven’t seen anything specifically for having a baby (not in that definition anyway). But, I assumed that would fall under “not having a spouse or partner”, which is the other qualification she must meets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chikki24

comeca

Aug 9, 2018
Please help me to update my status to IN PROCESS.

Line 151

I did not found any start date on my efile, so I called them yesterday.
And they said they start that in Jan 8, 2019.

Reactions: YULIA-2016

cnonline

Star Member
Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sent on May 23, 2013. Received by CIC on May 28, 2013
AOR Received.
CPPO does not send
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
Aug 16, 2013 (@ time of PER)
Med's Request
Nov 13, 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 21, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 23, 2013. PP sent on Dec 30, 2013, received by CPPO on Jan 6, 2014.
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 23, 2013 --- Valid until Dec 5, 2014.
LANDED..........
Mar 08, 2014
I am May 18 applicant. Received email on Nov 7, 2018 asking for principal applicant spouse death certificate. Sent via fax on Nov 8. The ECAS status states in process for both, principal applicant and sponsor. Please update the spreadsheet. Thanks
As of today my ECAS changed..
For sponsor Decision made
For Applicant In process.
The details show that they sent me correspondence on Jan 25. I did not receive anything in email and nothing on spam folder too.
Please update the spreadsheet.
Thanks.

Reactions: YULIA-2016

curious205

Mar 20, 2018
As of today my ECAS changed..
For sponsor Decision made
For Applicant In process.
The details show that they sent me correspondence on Jan 25. I did not receive anything in email and nothing on spam folder too.
Please update the spreadsheet.
Thanks.
Make sure you are checking the email you provided to CIC. If you have MyCIC or GCKey account, check it there too.

It’s possible that they sent correspondence via Canada post, which happened to a few people on this forum. So, if you didn’t find any email or correspondence in MyCIC/GCKey, you might get it via postal mail.

AimHigher1

Star Member
Nov 25, 2014
Brampton
Visa Office......
Parents Sponsorship Mom + DAD on Supervisa Living in Brampton with us
NOC Code......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
28-05-2018
I got CIC my account and once you login it says status submitted. Once you click on Submitted it opens a new window and it says your application is under processing.

There is online tool also to check the status. It says Status - In process
But there is no second line added that we started your processing on Jan **, 2019 like it happended with some people who submitted application on august 26,2018.

Is it normal?

curious205

Mar 20, 2018
Hello Yulia and other senior members.

I have a quick question. I have already applied for my parents PR lasy year in july and its under processing.

Today CIC opens new Interest to Sponsor to submit for PGP. My brother is also eligible to sponsor our parents.

Originally we wanted to submit the application under his sponsorship instead of mine. Will they check my parents name and DOB and remove new entry or they will remove my submitted application in case if they do it?

Please let me know.

Thanks!
You should not have two applications for the same people at the same time. If you feel that you may not be qualified as a sponsor, withdraw your current application and have your brother enter 2019 PGP.

But, I’d make sure that your brother get selected for 2019 PGP first. Then and only then should you withdraw your current application.

Is there any reason why you feel that your application might not get appooved? The only reason I can see is not meeting LICO. If that’s the case, I would have your brother enter PGP 2019 quick.