Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
20-2-2014
LANDED..........
Jun 15, 2014
i tried to find the below information but no luck, sorry if it is answered.

I am a canadian and my wife is PR, we meet all the requirements for sponsorship 2018
Can we only sponsor her mom but not her dad ?
Her dad is really sick and currently in elderly care center in Hong Kong.

I remember we have to sponsor both parents in previous years but i saw some members are only sponsoring either mom or dad , so would like to confirm. thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

I am a canadian and my wife is PR, we meet all the requirements for sponsorship 2018

I remember we have to sponsor both parents in previous years but i saw some members are only sponsoring either mom or dad , so would like to confirm. thanks
Unfortunately you have to sponsor both of them. Given his current health problems it will likely be refused.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

I think one of them can be declare non-accompanying. BUT both of them have to pass medical and security check. And the number of people accounted for the minimum income to sponsor also includes both parents.

Not sure if that's going to help.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
I think one of them can be declare non-accompanying. BUT both of them have to pass medical and security check. And the number of people accounted for the minimum income to sponsor also includes both parents.

Not sure if that's going to help.
What if they are divorced? Would that work?

sing_tao

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2013 (Spouse Sponsorship)
AOR Received.
24-8-2013
File Transfer...
5-9-2013
Med's Done....
27-06-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
20-2-2014
LANDED..........
Jun 15, 2014
YVR123, can you share the link that mentioned both of them hv to pass medical and security check even they are not coming ? , thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
YVR123, can you share the link that mentioned both of them hv to pass medical and security check even they are not coming ? , thanks
This is a general info link.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=988&top=4

A non CIC info page (I think form an immigration lawyer)
https://thevisa.ca/family-class-sponsorship/non-accompanying-family-members-and-how-they-affect-you.html

They have to make sure all family members (spouse and dependent children) get medical and security. Because once one of them becomes a PR, they can apply to sponsor the rest of the family and in this case they are exempt from "excessive demand on health and social services" condition.

I am not sure if this is enough proof to you. We can wait till the 2018 PGP package is available to be 100% sure.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
INADMISSIBILITY ISSUES
Normally, an inadmissible family member, whether accompanying or not, would render the applicant inadmissible. This is obviously a very serious situation and a clear indication of how other family members may affect your application.

Fortunately, CIC takes this into consideration as there are two exceptions to the rule. The first is the separated spouse of the applicant and the second is where a child of the applicant who is in the legal custody of someone other than the applicant. Basically stated, the applicant can have no legal control over this member of the family to be exempted from sharing their inadmissibility.

Therefore, if the applicant's separated spouse or their children who are in the custody of someone else are inadmissible, their inadmissibility would not affect the applicants admissibility.

It is scary set of circumstances where a family member can play such a large part on your application. There is one other way around this. If the applicant's family member was successful in obtaining a Temporary Resident Permit to overcome their inadmissibility, so to would the applicant's inadmissibility be overcome. This is a complex situation.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
OMG...
You are NOT suggesting sing_tao to tell his/her parents to be seperated or even get a divorce just for immigration!!

That's morally wrong.
Their intention is that the mum and dad will be separated if only mum is sponsored. Look back at the question.

It's their choice. In any case the issues are about legality. Not about morality. Don't get me started on how people who can falsely declare that they meet requirement still enter the lottery and have no repercussions. Morally wrong? You bet.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
By getting divorced your mother will also not have any say in your father's medical care, there will be estate issues, etc. Please do a lot of research before considering such drastic action. Also can't imagine leaving one spouse in a health care facility to move to another country.

Reactions: YVR123 and nayr69sg

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Reading the rules, it seems to me that the implications of not declaring a family member impacts more on the ability to subsequently sponsor said family member in the future. Is this correct?

In other words, if the family member who is omitted in the declaration never ever seeks to move to Canada there will be no issues?

There is that whole debate though about morality and false declarations. I've been rather surprised about how nonchalant some here have been about applicants making false declarations and how CIC has no way to prosecute them etc.

In that case, if sing_tao's intention is only to sponsor his wife's mother, could they just sponsor the mum and declare the father is estranged or separated? If they never apply for the father to come to Canada there won't really be an issue right?

I do understand that this would be making a false declaration which is a serious offence. So anyone who makes false declarations should be mindful and be prepared to be prosecuted. BEWARE!

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Reading the rules, it seems to me that the implications of not declaring a family member impacts more on the ability to subsequently sponsor said family member in the future. Is this correct?

In other words, if the family member who is omitted in the declaration never ever seeks to move to Canada there will be no issues?

There is that whole debate though about morality and false declarations. I've been rather surprised about how nonchalant some here have been about applicants making false declarations and how CIC has no way to prosecute them etc.

In that case, if sing_tao's intention is only to sponsor his wife's mother, could they just sponsor the mum and declare the father is estranged or separated? If they never apply for the father to come to Canada there won't really be an issue right?

I do understand that this would be making a false declaration which is a serious offence. So anyone who makes false declarations should be mindful and be prepared to be prosecuted. BEWARE!
Come on, it is not necessary to file a false claim. Last time I checked, divorce is still legal and a civil matter between two couple, in HK. His wife's mum and dad can freely to choose to divorce, if they wish. Morally or not, that is completely a different issue, and cannot be prosecuted, agree?

Also, even after his wife's mum got PR, then decided to re-marry her dad, and then subsequently file the sponsorship application, as long as within the rules that set forth by Immigration law, that is nobody's business. It is legal. Morally wrong, sure thing, but people take advantage all loop holes all the time.

Last edited:

sing_tao

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2013 (Spouse Sponsorship)
AOR Received.
24-8-2013
File Transfer...
5-9-2013
Med's Done....
27-06-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
20-2-2014
LANDED..........
Jun 15, 2014
thank you for everyone post
the reason i ask this is the doctor said my wifes father only have 1 or 2 year left (which is very sad, and he is suffering)
and of course we wish it will be more than 1 or 2 years, pray hard.

therefore, if i put only her mom on application, i dont know if CIC will ask why i dont put her dad as well and with her dad condition, i think CIC will reject for sure if i am luckily to get picked.

Therefore our whole intention is just to sponsor her mom .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

They would need to provide legal documents proving the divorce.