Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gertner said:
I just heard about changes in the parents/grandparents sponsorship and it seems that lottery is supposed to be open at the beginning of each year for 10,000 people.
I am only child and my mother lives alone abroad. My father passed away. She is 70 years of age and healthy. I am eligible and financially capable to provide a sponsorship, but it seems that it will be very difficult with this new CIC policy. Since I am the only person to whom my mother can rely on, I am wondering if there is any other option to sponsor my mother and get her to Canada to live with me and my wife.
I realize that Canadian citizens/permanent residents could sponsor other relatives (siblings, aunt, uncle) and I would be surprised that I cannot sponsor my only parent.
I would very appreciate if someone could advise me what to do.
As people have mentioned below, you should call your mother to Canada as visitor and then file the H&C application.

gertner

Nov 15, 2013
Could I make an application on the H&C ground on my mother behalf or she has to make it. I am concerned about her as she lives as a senior alone with no any family support and with little social support. In these new circumstances where the parental sponsorship application has become a lottery and each year they will draw people who are allowed to apply, it is possible that it will never happen.

gertner

Nov 15, 2013
I have one more dilemma with an application on H&C ground. Does my mother has to stay in Canada all the time before application would be processed? I realize that it may take a long time and she is allowed to stay up to 6 months with the visa exempt passport. As I said already in my previous post, I am not sure if I can apply for her or she has to apply on her own.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
gertner said:
I just heard about changes in the parents/grandparents sponsorship and it seems that lottery is supposed to be open at the beginning of each year for 10,000 people.
I am only child and my mother lives alone abroad. My father passed away. She is 70 years of age and healthy. I am eligible and financially capable to provide a sponsorship, but it seems that it will be very difficult with this new CIC policy. Since I am the only person to whom my mother can rely on, I am wondering if there is any other option to sponsor my mother and get her to Canada to live with me and my wife.
I realize that Canadian citizens/permanent residents could sponsor other relatives (siblings, aunt, uncle) and I would be surprised that I cannot sponsor my only parent.
I would very appreciate if someone could advise me what to do.
Unfortunately it is not true that Canadian can sponsor other relatives (siblings, aunt, uncle etc), they CANNOT! The only exception is that they have no other immediate relatives in Canada at all, meaning no wife, no kid, no aunt, uncle, no parents, then they can sponsor one relative of any relationship. Since you have a wife in Canada, it is impossible to apply to sponsor your mother under H&C as there are thousands of cases like you and Canada will not make an exception as it will not be fair to thousands others. You can chose to return to your home country if you are not lucky enough to get a lottery ticket to sponsor her.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
gertner said:
I have one more dilemma with an application on H&C ground. Does my mother has to stay in Canada all the time before application would be processed? I realize that it may take a long time and she is allowed to stay up to 6 months with the visa exempt passport. As I said already in my previous post, I am not sure if I can apply for her or she has to apply on her own.
H&C only applies for refugees mostly where people are facing with life and death situation, your case is not likely to fall into H&C as you have the choice to return to your home country with your mother. If your mother overstay and H&C is rejected, she is unlikely to be able to visit you again.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
deerestlovelybear said:
H&C only applies for refugees mostly where people are facing with life and death situation, your case is not likely to fall into H&C as you have the choice to return to your home country with your mother. If your mother overstay and H&C is rejected, she is unlikely to be able to visit you again.
Actually there have been other successful H&C cases where someone has sponsored an elderly parent that has no spouse or other family to look after them in their home country. In some cases it's a viable alternative to sponsoring through the PGP program. H&C does not have the same level of eligibility required like refugee.

sungeus

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, there are cases where the H&C has applied to single parent. I know of one person who went through this process.
The parent has to be in Canada when application is submitted and stay in Canada until the application is complete. I would recommend going through a lawyer for this kind of application and consult with some before you select one.

deerestlovelybear said: