+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent’s visitor status Extension doubts

Ayam93

Star Member
May 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
- My Mom entered Canada on TRV two months back, she has booked a return ticket for next month, thus originally planned a 3 months stay
- But now she wants to stay longer, i.e., more than 6 months; if possible

Question 1:
Can i apply for her status extension right now? I saw some posts which says that extension should only be applied once 4-5 months have passed and applying extension when 4 months are still pending is not recommended? Only reason i wanted to apply now is because her return ticket is for next month and it will be great to have a reply before the return ticket.

Question 2:
She do not have access to her bank account and thus cannot provide latest bank statements. Can i mention in extension application that i will support her financially?

Question 3:
I have seen few people have applied for one year extension. Is there any specific requirement to apply for one year extension or does requesting a one year extension decreases the chances of extension approval?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
- My Mom entered Canada on TRV two months back, she has booked a return ticket for next month, thus originally planned a 3 months stay
- But now she wants to stay longer, i.e., more than 6 months; if possible

Question 1:
Can i apply for her status extension right now? I saw some posts which says that extension should only be applied once 4-5 months have passed and applying extension when 4 months are still pending is not recommended? Only reason i wanted to apply now is because her return ticket is for next month and it will be great to have a reply before the return ticket.

Question 2:
She do not have access to her bank account and thus cannot provide latest bank statements. Can i mention in extension application that i will support her financially?

Question 3:
I have seen few people have applied for one year extension. Is there any specific requirement to apply for one year extension or does requesting a one year extension decreases the chances of extension approval?
1. No, don't apply now. Applying too early will result in a refusal. Also, have you actually looked at the processing times? Extensions are currently sitting at a minimum of 3 months, so zero chance of getting an answer before her flight anyways.

2. You can provide proof of your finances but she should show her own finances as well.

3. One year extensions are granted when there is a reason for it, i.e. people in the middle of sponsorship apps. It is not advised to ask for one year without a solid reason.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did your mom get the full 6 months when she entered Canada. Looking at the fact that you are a student who has just graduated who may have just received or is waiting for a PGWP and your parents only got 2 year TRV it does seem like there is some concerns about your parents ties to their home country so I wouldn’t push for too long an extension.