+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paper vs Online Citizenship application in 2024

carolinamena

Mar 28, 2024
Starting a thread since I will be applying in the next 3 months. What has worked better lately in terms of processing times? Applying online or through an office/paper?

Also, I will be applying with 1,098 days that I got from the physical presence calculator from the cic website. I am confident I accounted for all my absences. Am I too close to the threshhold by the time I apply?

Thanks,
Carolina

xf2278389393

Aug 27, 2023
Hi Carolina,

The legal requirement is 1095 days. If you meet that requirement, you must be granted citizenship. Whether you meet it will be decided a citizenship official. They will be taking into consideration any information they can obtain about your physical presence including the CBSA travel history report and information they have about your reported address history. You should obtain the CBSA report through a Privacy Act ATIP request and make sure there are no inconsistencies with you report in your application. If they find a discrepancy, citizenship officials have a discretion to interpret that information and recalculate your physical presence. If you are denied, you could apply for judicial review but keep in mind that this would take a lot more time than waiting for a few more days, weeks or even months of waiting before applying. Keeping that in mind, it is entirely your decision when you choose to apply. Nobody here knows your situation better than you do and nobody knows how IRCC will process your specific situation until they do.

carolinamena

Mar 28, 2024
Hi Carolina,

The legal requirement is 1095 days. If you meet that requirement, you must be granted citizenship. Whether you meet it will be decided a citizenship official. They will be taking into consideration any information they can obtain about your physical presence including the CBSA travel history report and information they have about your reported address history. You should obtain the CBSA report through a Privacy Act ATIP request and make sure there are no inconsistencies with you report in your application. If they find a discrepancy, citizenship officials have a discretion to interpret that information and recalculate your physical presence. If you are denied, you could apply for judicial review but keep in mind that this would take a lot more time than waiting for a few more days, weeks or even months of waiting before applying. Keeping that in mind, it is entirely your decision when you choose to apply. Nobody here knows your situation better than you do and nobody knows how IRCC will process your specific situation until they do.
\

Thank you so mcuh I am doing that request right now. I didnt know it existed! Do you now how long do they take to release those records?

xf2278389393

Aug 27, 2023
Usually about 30 days. However, they are allowed to request an additional 30 days if they can't complete it in time.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Starting a thread since I will be applying in the next 3 months. What has worked better lately in terms of processing times? Applying online or through an office/paper?

Also, I will be applying with 1,098 days that I got from the physical presence calculator from the cic website. I am confident I accounted for all my absences. Am I too close to the threshhold by the time I apply?

Thanks,
Carolina
Apply with a buffer as people who are applying very close to 1095 days are seeing delays with respect to additional multi level reviews which is taking months to complete.

carolinamena

Mar 28, 2024
Usually about 30 days. However, they are allowed to request an additional 30 days if they can't complete it in time.
I am trying to request it but an error keeps appearing:

To begin, choose the option for the type of records you are requesting. (required)
My personal information
Personal information about someone other than myself
Personal information on a deceased individual
None of the above - I am looking for general government records

I need to select my personal information correct?

carolinamena

Mar 28, 2024
I am trying to request it but an error keeps appearing:

To begin, choose the option for the type of records you are requesting. (required)
My personal information
Personal information about someone other than myself
Personal information on a deceased individual
None of the above - I am looking for general government records

I need to select my personal information correct?
This is the error:

Due to an error in the application, we are unable to display the content of this page. Please click below to return to the start page, to begin your request once again. We apologize for any inconvenience.

The administrator of the application has been notified of this issue. For more information about the problem, please contact us.

Thank you.

Alalac

Oct 2, 2021

Thanks,
Carolina
I applied with 1099 days but didn't have lots of trips.. if you have lots of trips, maybe wait a week or so after completing 1095 days just in case and in regard to online or paper app, I would definitely go with online

xf2278389393

Aug 27, 2023
This is the error:

Due to an error in the application, we are unable to display the content of this page. Please click below to return to the start page, to begin your request once again. We apologize for any inconvenience.

The administrator of the application has been notified of this issue. For more information about the problem, please contact us.

Thank you.
Clear your browser cache or try a different browser or device. I got past that page a few minutes ago without this error message.