+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pakistani applicants applying study permit for Jan intake gather here.

SK49

Apr 10, 2018
Hi, I have been asked to appear for an interview. Is it a good sign? Documents required are updated proofs of financial stability. Kindly guide me regarding this and share tips for this interview.

hussainkestrel

Sep 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
20 October 2017
Med's Request
9th November 2017
Med's Done....
15th November 2017
Hi, I have been asked to appear for an interview. Is it a good sign? Documents required are updated proofs of financial stability. Kindly guide me regarding this and share tips for this interview.
Well they never ask for an interview for study permit applications. Just bring all the updated documents for proof for financial stability and be confident. Go through your SOP too. From which city are you and where is the interview?

hussainkestrel

Sep 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
20 October 2017
Med's Request
9th November 2017
Med's Done....
15th November 2017
They may have a doubt with your documents related to proof of financial stability.

SK49

Apr 10, 2018
I am from karachi and there are 6 7 more people who applied in the same week receiving their interview call

faraz123

Star Member
Jul 13, 2017
Program : Masters in Medical Biotechnology
My visa has been refused could you please help me out in this regard.
Refusal reason: Not a bonafide student and family ties are not strong

Mphil cource based done ( 3.9 CGPA) 88%, Reasearch have done and thesis is in process.
- I year masters in Microbiology ( 67%)
- 3 years bachelors in Microbiology (71%)

- Intermediate in science with 77%
- Metriculation in science with 86%

- Got Indigenous scholarship for MPIL and PHD program in pakistan
- IELTS 6.5

Got acceptance letter from Uni of WIndsor, Masters in Medical Biotechnology.

- 2 years part time job ( employeement letter provided)
- Funds shows around $ 55000
- Partial payment made to university $ 6000
- Also showed them two plots, worth $ 75000
- Husband working in banking for the last 7 years

One more thing, I applied with my daughter she is 1.5 years of age.
- Also submitted day care centre letter
Mostly married people visa got rejected, reapply alnoe then for your daughter .
Your profile seems strong but why you are not completing your PHD in Pakistan as you have scholarship ?

Bella Pette

Oct 5, 2017
Hello. Please, I need your help. My mom and I applied for study permits. Mine is dependent on hers and she has gotten an approval but mine is still in process. Is this normal? Shouldn't it have come together? Thank you!

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
Just ask the professor. If he is unsure about the MaSc one, then go for Ottawa. You shouldn't sacrifice your goals for a good name alone.

As far as rankings are concerned, you can get subject specific rankings and they can give you rough image but i do agree there are some flaws with them.

Plus if you can't go for a Phd with MEng and you are interested in doing an MaSc then the choice is clear that is Ottawa unless the professor agrees to offer you the MaSc program at Uwaterloo.
Well, I did some thinking and emailed a professor at Waterloo. He got back to me in a few minutes and said that he can consider me provided i do well academically. I think that's a very good sign and I should probably 'risk' it. Even if he backs out (better applicants etc.). There 7-8 professors in Waterloo in my field, I should be able to convince at least one.

So, unless something my mind today I'll probably accept the offer. No pain, no gain, right?

Anyway, I had a question regarding the Letter of Acceptance:

1) It doesn't state tuition fees. How to fix this? The letter just says the tuition vary by program. I have another letter from Student Finance that states the estimated yearly fee. Would this be acceptable?
2) Course length is stated as 12-24 months rather than a concrete number. Is this an issue?
3) The LOA also states the 'condition' of my acceptance is that I arrange for my bachelors transcripts to be sent to them directly from my previous university. This is standard practice but would this reflect poorly on the study permit application?
4) My MEng admit is for Systems Design Engineering. My Bachelors was in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Would this be considered a change in field? I chose Systems Design Engineering because it is a unique program at Waterloo which offers a specialization I seek. Though this specialization is available under Electrical Engineering as well at Waterloo but my application was refused for that department.

Last edited:

faiqsheikh

Star Member
Apr 18, 2017
Mostly married people visa got rejected, reapply alnoe then for your daughter .
Your profile seems strong but why you are not completing your PHD in Pakistan as you have scholarship ?
my daughter she is just 1.5 years, I cannot leave her alone.... after completting masters degree from canada then I would get addmission in PHD.

My husband has 5 years multiple canada visa...

hussainkestrel

Sep 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
20 October 2017
Med's Request
9th November 2017
Med's Done....
15th November 2017
Well, I did some thinking and emailed a professor at Waterloo. He got back to me in a few minutes and said that he can consider me provided i do well academically. I think that's a very good sign and I should probably 'risk' it. Even if he backs out (better applicants etc.). There 7-8 professors in Waterloo in my field, I should be able to convince at least one.

So, unless something my mind today I'll probably accept the offer. No pain, no gain, right?

Anyway, I had a question regarding the Letter of Acceptance:

1) It doesn't state tuition fees. How to fix this? The letter just says the tuition vary by program. I have another letter from Student Finance that states the estimated yearly fee. Would this be acceptable?
I never attached any additional letter though you can do so. There was a range of tuition fee on my letter too and it went okay. I did mention the tuition fee on a cic form and it will work for you too.

2) Course length is stated as 12-24 months rather than a concrete number. Is this an issue?
You should contact the faculty to give a proper duration and attach that letter along because you have to mention it on a form too so it has to be a concrete number. Two friends of mine got approved for Waterloo MEng, I will ask them and confirm this for you.

3) The LOA also states the 'condition' of my acceptance is that I arrange for my bachelors transcripts to be sent to them directly from my previous university. This is standard practice but would this reflect poorly on the study permit application?
Have you sent the transcripts? If no, then do it asap and ask them to give you an unconditional letter of acceptance. They took a day to send it to me when i asked them so it is not an issue. Though it does not reflect poorly because the majority of the LOA have a condition. Just upload the transcripts for your bachelors in order to show that you have them otherwise ask them for a unconditional letter of acceptance.

4) My MEng admit is for Systems Design Engineering. My Bachelors was in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Would this be considered a change in field? I chose Systems Design Engineering because it is a unique program at Waterloo which offers a specialization I seek. Though this specialization is available under Electrical Engineering as well at Waterloo but my application was refused for that department.
If it provides a specialization in electrical engineering then i don't think it would be a change of field. You must explain it in your SOP and create a link between the two to show that though. You have asked the same question to Helican too, wait for him/her to reply as he/she would know more about it.

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
I never attached any additional letter though you can do so. There was a range of tuition fee on my letter too and it went okay. I did mention the tuition fee on a cic form and it will work for you too.
Yes, but my LOA is blank when it comes to tuition fees. I'll ask the administrator.

You should contact the faculty to give a proper duration and attach that letter along because you have to mention it on a form too so it has to be a concrete number. Two friends of mine got approved for Waterloo MEng, I will ask them and confirm this for you.
Yes, please confirm with your friends. What program are they in? Secondly, though I'll contact the department, I was thinking I could also just write that this program is typically completed in 18 months but my employer has guaranteed me funding for 24 months.

Have you sent the transcripts? If no, then do it asap and ask them to give you an unconditional letter of acceptance. They took a day to send it to me when i asked them so it is not an issue. Though it does not reflect poorly because the majority of the LOA have a condition. Just upload the transcripts for your bachelors in order to show that you have them otherwise ask them for a unconditional letter of acceptance.
Already on it. The transcripts went out today from my previous university.

If it provides a specialization in electrical engineering then i don't think it would be a change of field. You must explain it in your SOP and create a link between the two to show that though. You have asked the same question to Helican too, wait for him/her to reply as he/she would know more about it.
Well, it provides a specialization in Computer Vision which is what I'm after. It doesn't matter to me if it comes under CS, Electrical Engineering or Systems Design. I'm thinking I'll emphasize Computer Vision and explain it typically comes under ECE and CS and Waterloo has a unique program called Systems Design in which they offer this specialization.

UsamaHameed

Apr 24, 2018
Hello SK49,

I have been called for interview too on 1st may, in Islamabad.
Im from Karachi.

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
An online application, filled in by my counsellor
Can you share your profile?

OK please post here the questions they ask you. Interview must be for select applicants, I can't imagine they're inviting every candidate because of the volume.

By the way, do a search on the term "interview" in this forum and you will get a lot of results. Many have some questions listed. They are not difficult and just want to be sure you are who you say you are. For example "Why study in Canada and not USA?" or "Why do you want to study XXX?"