+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pakistani applicants applying study permit for Jan intake gather here.

Foxrally

Star Member
Sep 12, 2017
United Arab Emirates
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Hey there guys, not from pakistan (from UAE actually) but I also have the abu dhabi embassy same as you guys. I applied 24th of SEPTEMBER and still no updates. Keep faith my dudes

Reactions: Muzzi6191

hussainkestrel

Sep 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
20 October 2017
Med's Request
9th November 2017
Med's Done....
15th November 2017
Hello all, is it OK to write here if I'm applying for Sept 2018 intake?
If you are from Pakistan, then sure you can because we can guide you better if you are a Pakistani applicant.

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
Yup, definitely a Pakistani. I've just finished my applications to 3-4 universities (Queens, Waterloo, Ottawa and McGill) and I am waiting to hear from them. I have B.Eng from the UK in 2011. I have worked full time since then in a field directly related to my education. So I'm starting this process now to be well prepared if I receive an offer of admission.

Concerns:
  • I have an academic gap of 7 years, as I graduated in 2011. However, I have been employed full time for the entirety of those 7 years and infact I have chosen my specialization in Masters based on those 7 years of experience. I can provide proof via a letter from employer, pay slips and my bank statement will also indicate the monthly salary. Would this still be a cause for concern?
  • I have about CAD 25000 in the bank and I will be able to have a total of CAD 55000 by the end of February after selling some real estate for the purposes of my education. Does the fact that I do not have CAD 55000 for the entirety of 6 months bank statement a concern? CAD 55000 will cover my entirety of 2 years of stay.
  • Due to my UK based degree, I was exempted from TOELF/IELTS. However, I took the TOEFL anyway and have a score of 97. I can improve this without much effort, I'm confident - but do I need to? is it sufficient?
  • To prove ties to Pakistan, I have:
    1. Real estate under my name.
    2. A position waiting under my name at a family business, related directly to what I would like to study for my Masters.
What else can I include to show stronger ties to Pakistan? Another issue is I am paying for my education from my savings. The family business is not going to be paying for it - yet I do have a job waiting here for me. My concern is that this might be hard sell to the visa officers. Perhaps not mentioning the family business would be wise?​
  • I am waiting to hear from Universities and if I'm accepted I'll pay them a year's worth of tuition, if that is OK with them.
I would appreciate any suggestions to improve my application. Applying from Lahore.

Last edited:

hussainkestrel

Sep 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
20 October 2017
Med's Request
9th November 2017
Med's Done....
15th November 2017
  • I have an academic gap of 7 years, as I graduated in 2011. However, I have been employed full time for the entirety of those 7 years and infact I have chosen my specialization in Masters based on those 7 years of experience. I can provide proof via a letter from employer, pay slips and my bank statement will also indicate the monthly salary. Would this still be a cause for concern?
No it's not. You just have to mention what you have been doing for the past 7 years and show the proof through payslips and letter from employers. Furthermore, do mention why have you decided after 7 years to pursue your education once again. If you do this properly, then it wont be a concern.

• I have about CAD 25000 in the bank and I will be able to have a total of CAD 55000 by the end of February after selling some real estate for the purposes of my education. Does the fact that I do not have CAD 55000 for the entirety of 6 months bank statement a concern? CAD 55000 will cover my entirety of 2 years of stay.
No it wont be, you only have to show the first years tuition plus 12000 CAD. It would be also recommended to move the money to Canada by paying the tuition fee as it would make your case stronger though it is not necessary. Also the higher your bank statement, the stronger your case will be if all the other aspects of your application are good. Do mention in the SOP, from where you get the money from though selling off property is not recommended since it weakens your ties to Pakistan and selling that off would indicate that you may want to settle in Canada through a study permit. in short pay the tuition fee for the first year and have some 15000 CAD in your bank account and show the property through property evaluation as it will make your ties to the country stronger.

• Due to my UK based degree, I was exempted from TOELF/IELTS. However, I took the TOEFL anyway and have a score of 97. I can improve this without much effort, I'm confident - but do I need to? is it sufficient?
My advice would be to go for IELTS Academic because i read somewhere that for PR applications, they do not accept TOEFL anymore. Can't say the same about the study permit. Also i have seen a case where a guy was refused because he had a 6.5 in IELTS and he had done his Bachelors from the UK. The reason in his CAIPS notes was that the visa officer expected more IELTS band from him since he did his Bachelors from the UK. So go for IELTS and aim for 7+ as I am saying this from experience that the majority of the people who got their medical request and gave IELTS had an overall band of 7 or 7+ so go for it.

• To prove ties to Pakistan, I have:
    1. Real estate under my name.
    2. A position waiting under my name at a family business, related directly to what I would like to study for my Masters.
What else can I include to show stronger ties to Pakistan? Another issue is I am paying for my education from my savings. The family business is not going to be paying for it - yet I do have a job waiting here for me. My concern is that this might be hard sell to the visa officers. Perhaps not mentioning the family business would be wise?​
  • I am waiting to hear from Universities and if I'm accepted I'll pay them a year's worth of tuition, if that is OK with them.
I would appreciate any suggestions to improve my application. Applying from Lahore.
You can prove ties by showing property in either your name or your fathers name, showing how close you are to your family who is in Pakistan through the Statement of Purpose, showing them the businesses that your family has been doing in Pakistan and that you will join them once you are done. Why can't they support you? Like can they not only provide a sponsor letter so it would make your case simple and then you can sponsor yourself through the savings and if you need some money you can get it from them? Anyway, you can sponsor yourself too with the savings but the problem is that you need to show the visa officer that you would be able to pay the tuition fee and the living expenses all by yourself without working in Canada. if you can show two years worth of tuition fee plus living expenses, then you wont have a problem but do mention it in the SOP and show the business and income tax returns as it will be crucial as far as your ties are concerned.

I hope this helps.

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
No it wont be, you only have to show the first years tuition plus 12000 CAD. It would be also recommended to move the money to Canada by paying the tuition fee as it would make your case stronger though it is not necessary. Also the higher your bank statement, the stronger your case will be if all the other aspects of your application are good. Do mention in the SOP, from where you get the money from though selling off property is not recommended since it weakens your ties to Pakistan and selling that off would indicate that you may want to settle in Canada through a study permit. in short pay the tuition fee for the first year and have some 15000 CAD in your bank account and show the property through property evaluation as it will make your ties to the country stronger.
Yes, I aim to pay the first year's tuition fees. Assuming it's 10000 CAD, that means I will have 45000 CAD left in the bank as I am expecting a total of 55000 CAD. Though I will actually be selling off some property I will have to come up with some other story - perhaps I can write in my SOP that family business is sponsoring 1 year and I am sponsoring the other. Would this work? I can request the company to confirm this in a letter.

I do not have any other source of funds.

You can prove ties by showing property in either your name or your fathers name, showing how close you are to your family who is in Pakistan through the Statement of Purpose, showing them the businesses that your family has been doing in Pakistan and that you will join them once you are done. Why can't they support you? Like can they not only provide a sponsor letter so it would make your case simple and then you can sponsor yourself through the savings and if you need some money you can get it from them? Anyway, you can sponsor yourself too with the savings but the problem is that you need to show the visa officer that you would be able to pay the tuition fee and the living expenses all by yourself without working in Canada. if you can show two years worth of tuition fee plus living expenses, then you wont have a problem but do mention it in the SOP and show the business and income tax returns as it will be crucial as far as your ties are concerned.
While I do not have any shares in the business as of now, my father can probably provide a letter that mentions once I come back I will a certain percentage of shares and a job offer waiting for me.

OR, we can skip the shares part and just show a lucrative job offer waiting for me.

The company cannot sponsor me for some various reasons I'd rather not get into a public forum. So the source of funds is the savings I have across 6 years + some real estate I will sell for the other half.

Please advise.

hussainkestrel

Sep 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
20 October 2017
Med's Request
9th November 2017
Med's Done....
15th November 2017
Yes, I aim to pay the first year's tuition fees. Assuming it's 10000 CAD, that means I will have 45000 CAD left in the bank as I am expecting a total of 55000 CAD. Though I will actually be selling off some property I will have to come up with some other story - perhaps I can write in my SOP that family business is sponsoring 1 year and I am sponsoring the other. Would this work? I can request the company to confirm this in a letter.

I do not have any other source of funds.

Can't you even get a letter from their end that they will sponsor? If you can, then you can say that they are sponsoring the first year and the second year will be sponsored by you so in this case you would have to pay the tuition fee. The main thing is to get a letter that they will sponsor you, the income tax returns to show their income per year and then you can use the funds you have to sponsor yourself. Though your case would have been pretty simple if they agreed to do so.

While I do not have any shares in the business as of now, my father can probably provide a letter that mentions once I come back I will a certain percentage of shares and a job offer waiting for me.

OR, we can skip the shares part and just show a lucrative job offer waiting for me.

The company cannot sponsor me for some various reasons I'd rather not get into a public forum. So the source of funds is the savings I have across 6 years + some real estate I will sell for the other half.

Please advise.
You can write both, that the business belongs to your father and you will eventually inherit it and run it and in addition to that you have a job offer here in Pakistan so this will also compel you to return back.

ahsansalman79

Jan 25, 2018
Hi Guys

Need your input. I am 38 already MBA from Pakistan and working from last 15 years. Would it be possible for me to get admission for Masters program in Canada? I have IELTS score of 7.0.

hussainkestrel

Sep 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
20 October 2017
Med's Request
9th November 2017
Med's Done....
15th November 2017
Hi Guys

Need your input. I am 38 already MBA from Pakistan and working from last 15 years. Would it be possible for me to get admission for Masters program in Canada? I have IELTS score of 7.0.
The age may be a problem plus there is no point in doing Masters when you already have an MBA. That's like a double master and doesn't make sense. Have seen visa refusals based on that. You can try for a PhD, the chances of visa will be better in that case but nothing is certain.

ahsansalman79

Jan 25, 2018
The age may be a problem plus there is no point in doing Masters when you already have an MBA. That's like a double master and doesn't make sense. Have seen visa refusals based on that. You can try for a PhD, the chances of visa will be better in that case but nothing is certain.
Ok. I understand. Thank you.

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
Can't you even get a letter from their end that they will sponsor? If you can, then you can say that they are sponsoring the first year and the second year will be sponsored by you so in this case you would have to pay the tuition fee. The main thing is to get a letter that they will sponsor you, the income tax returns to show their income per year and then you can use the funds you have to sponsor yourself. Though your case would have been pretty simple if they agreed to do so.
I can probably get a letter from their end. Income Tax Returns I will have to try harder.

And it is difficult to explain why I'm going this route. There is some family tension but it's also not as clear cut, if you ask me. In 2008, I applied on the basis of the business for UK visa but I was denied. I applied again on the basis of my father's bank statement and I was given the visa.

I really want to present a simple and straightforward case, I think. Do you know what is the required length of the bank statement?

You can write both, that the business belongs to your father and you will eventually inherit it and run it and in addition to that you have a job offer here in Pakistan so this will also compel you to return back.
Job offer is no problem. My father owns part of the business and he can write about that and say that I will come and run the business.

hussainkestrel

Sep 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
20 October 2017
Med's Request
9th November 2017
Med's Done....
15th November 2017
I can probably get a letter from their end. Income Tax Returns I will have to try harder.

And it is difficult to explain why I'm going this route. There is some family tension but it's also not as clear cut, if you ask me. In 2008, I applied on the basis of the business for UK visa but I was denied. I applied again on the basis of my father's bank statement and I was given the visa.

I really want to present a simple and straightforward case, I think. Do you know what is the required length of the bank statement?

Job offer is no problem. My father owns part of the business and he can write about that and say that I will come and run the business.
For a program that is more than a year, you need to have one years tuition fee plus 12000 cad in the bank account. You can also show scholarships letters as sources of funds if you were given any and also pay the tuition fee in advance as that would be much better though do check the refund policy of all the Universities. I know for sure that Waterloo give 100% refund if you ask for it in the first three weeks and the money will get back to you in about 2 weeks time but I can't say anything about the other Universities.

hussainkestrel

Sep 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
20 October 2017
Med's Request
9th November 2017
Med's Done....
15th November 2017
if you ask me. In 2008, I applied on the basis of the business for UK visa but I was denied. I applied again on the basis of my father's bank statement and I was given the visa.

That is the reason i am saying to do both. Otherwise you would have to show the funds for two years and that is difficult for some people.