+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

P.Eng APEGA (Professional Engineers of Alberta) review timeline

Al Mahmud

Dec 2, 2015
Hi everyone

I have my PEng application entering review process in January 2024 and got "Case to Board" In Progress recently after all experience examiners (and other items) were complete. Does "Case to Board" virtually mean "everything is okay and I'll be soon a professional member", or is my application still under review and resubmissions/rejections might happen?

Do you suggest I contact my application supervisor and get updates on the application?

Thanks
My understanding, after reading a few posts in multiple forums and talking to a few people, is that being ‘case to board’ does not necessarily guarantee that you will receive the PEng title promptly. There are cases where applications have been deferred, and in some instances, the board has asked applicants to complete 6 to 12 months of work in a Canadian environment to qualify for the PEng title. However, in most cases, it is a positive sign, as the examiner typically sends the application back or requests further clarification if they are not satisfied with specific competencies. Keep us informed about how it goes! Have you already passed your NPPE exam?

Reactions: Francesc2

Francesc2

May 21, 2021
My understanding, after reading a few posts in multiple forums and talking to a few people, is that being ‘case to board’ does not necessarily guarantee that you will receive the PEng title promptly. There are cases where applications have been deferred, and in some instances, the board has asked applicants to complete 6 to 12 months of work in a Canadian environment to qualify for the PEng title. However, in most cases, it is a positive sign, as the examiner typically sends the application back or requests further clarification if they are not satisfied with specific competencies. Keep us informed about how it goes! Have you already passed your NPPE exam?
Thanks a lot for your reply! My Case to Board is for May 2024. My NPPE is next week, so if I pass it I should be all good before the board meeting in May. All my work experience was in Canada (~ 3.5 years as of now, and I added my MSc degree to cover the rest of work experience needed; the degree is also from Canada).

Al Mahmud

Dec 2, 2015
Thanks a lot for your reply! My Case to Board is for May 2024. My NPPE is next week, so if I pass it I should be all good before the board meeting in May. All my work experience was in Canada (~ 3.5 years as of now, and I added my MSc degree to cover the rest of work experience needed; the degree is also from Canada).
Sounds great ! I am sitting for the NPPE next week too !! All the best for you.

kbernard

Oct 11, 2023
Hi Fellow applicants, can you advise on the best approach towards studying for the NPPE? Past Paper question are not readily available online.

Francesc2

May 21, 2021
I took the exam a few days ago. I had bought https://practiceppeexams.ca (500 questions) and practiced them all. I also bought the 100 questions from the official NPPE website (https://nppepractice.ysasecure.com/). Questions from https://practiceppeexams.ca were helpful but some of them needed you to memorize some parts of study materials word by word. Some others were not even from the two main resources (professionalism and law) and they were from the website's materials or other documents like OHS, etc. My experience for the actual NPPE was not like that. I didn't need to "memorize" anything to answer the questions. Most of them were based on understanding rather than memorizing words one by one. They also looked a lot like the official 100 questions.

respect72

Star Member
Oct 1, 2023
I took the exam a few days ago. I had bought https://practiceppeexams.ca (500 questions) and practiced them all. I also bought the 100 questions from the official NPPE website (https://nppepractice.ysasecure.com/). Questions from https://practiceppeexams.ca were helpful but some of them needed you to memorize some parts of study materials word by word. Some others were not even from the two main resources (professionalism and law) and they were from the website's materials or other documents like OHS, etc. My experience for the actual NPPE was not like that. I didn't need to "memorize" anything to answer the questions. Most of them were based on understanding rather than memorizing words one by one. They also looked a lot like the official 100 questions.
Thank you for these details.
So, to your mind what was really close to the exam? https://practiceppeexams.ca or NPPE website question?

Al Mahmud

Dec 2, 2015
how was the exam? Have you got similar questions to what you have studied/bought?
For me !! That's a million dollar question! I didn't really have a chance to go through a lot of practice exam questions due to work commitment and some other unavoidable situations. That's why I am not the best person to answer this question. I am little worried about my results to be honest !!

Updates from 15 April 2024:

Application submitted: 3 Feb, 2024
Admin Assigned: 28 Feb, 2024
Application went to review stage: 4 Mar, 2024
Academic Review Completed: 15 Mar, 2024
Examiner Review: Completed 18 Mar 2024
Examiner Review: Completed 15 April 2024 (probably earlier)
Examiner Review: In Progress
NPPE Exam Scheduled: 8 April, 2024 (Waiting for results)

Is this common to have three examiner review? Not sure !!

Al Mahmud

Dec 2, 2015
Second Update from 15 April 2024:

Examiner Review: Complete 15 April 2024
Case to Board: In Progress (May 2024)

respect72

Star Member
Oct 1, 2023
For me !! That's a million dollar question! I didn't really have a chance to go through a lot of practice exam questions due to work commitment and some other unavoidable situations. That's why I am not the best person to answer this question. I am little worried about my results to be honest !!

Updates from 15 April 2024:

Examiner Review: In Progress

Is this common to have three examiner review? Not sure !!
Fingers crossed, hopefully you passed it.

Anyway, please share your updates when you see them

Reactions: Al Mahmud

Al Mahmud

Dec 2, 2015
Update from 23 April 2024:

Examiner Review: Complete 15 April 2024
NPPE Exam Scheduled: 8 April, 2024 (Passed-23 April)
Case to Board: In Progress (May 2024)