+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

P.Eng APEGA (Professional Engineers of Alberta) review timeline

wasifkarim

May 8, 2024
I just got an email from APEGA admissions that the Board deferred the approval of my application. Six competencies were detailed as the reason for the deferral, and the letter also mentioned I could enroll as an EIT. Please, any advice on how best to go about this? Redo the competence or take up EIT.
What did you write in those competencies and what is your experience and education?

Tosyn+

May 15, 2024
What did you write in those competencies and what is your experience and education?
To be fair, I thought i wrote all the competencies to the best of my ability.. Experience in petroleum refinery and Masters in Chemical Process Engr.

NaiveWater930

May 2, 2024
I just got an email from APEGA admissions that the Board deferred the approval of my application. Six competencies were detailed as the reason for the deferral, and the letter also mentioned I could enroll as an EIT. Please, any advice on how best to go about this? Redo the competence or take up EIT.
You will need to make them better if you request an update for your PEng application. If you take the EIT (I did it), that means the academy review will not be done during the update.
I resubmitted 10 competencies on Nov-23, case to the board June 24.

Francesc2

May 21, 2021
C
Can you provide your application timeline please?

Francesc2

May 21, 2021
You will need to make them better if you request an update for your PEng application. If you take the EIT (I did it), that means the academy review will not be done during the update.
I never knew they might ask to redo the competencies. Does that happen during examiner review, or it could be a board decision as well?

NaiveWater930

May 2, 2024
I never knew they might ask to redo the competencies. Does that happen during examiner review, or it could be a board decision as well?
In my case, my application was deferred as 10 competencies scored below the requirements and I need to take the FE exam. Apega told me that I can redo them (provide new examples) or make them better (add more details). I submitted and paid the request for update once I passed the FE exam.

alee667

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
Doc's Request.
04-12-2015
Nomination.....
22-12-2015
AOR Received.
26-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed 28-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2016
LANDED..........
13-01-2017
How much experience do you have in total? Is that foreign experience or within Canada?
One of my friend had similar case as your where he got the deferral because of 5 competencies. He updated those competencies and applied for reassessment. APEGA approved his case and he is P.Eng now.

alee667

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
Doc's Request.
04-12-2015
Nomination.....
22-12-2015
AOR Received.
26-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed 28-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2016
LANDED..........
13-01-2017
In my case, my application was deferred as 10 competencies scored below the requirements and I need to take the FE exam. Apega told me that I can redo them (provide new examples) or make them better (add more details). I submitted and paid the request for update once I passed the FE exam.
Did you apply with Canadian experience or just the foreign experience.

How much experience in total you got? What was the reason for FE exam?

alee667

Star Member
Jul 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
Doc's Request.
04-12-2015
Nomination.....
22-12-2015
AOR Received.
26-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed 28-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2016
LANDED..........
13-01-2017
Hello everyone, I need to ask if someone in this forum got assigned FE exam even after having a master degree from Canada? How common is that APEGA assigned FE exam to foreign qualified engineers with over 15 years experience (12 outside Canada + 4 inside Canada) and masters degree from Canadian university?

NaiveWater930

May 2, 2024
Did you apply with Canadian experience or just the foreign experience.

How much experience in total you got? What was the reason for FE exam?
Canadian 10years, foreign 5 years. Apega didn't provide a reason. I just took the exam as it would have been longer to request a reassessment or reconsideration

Last edited:
Reactions: alee667

Tosyn+

May 15, 2024
Thanks so much for this information. So taking the EIT will prevent a new academic update when I resubmit the 6 competencies, interesting!! I did not know not taking the EIT would activate that,thanks!!!

Reactions: NaiveWater930

Tosyn+

May 15, 2024
C

Can you provide your application timeline please?
Application submitted- September 2023
Application submission extension - January 2024 ( My WES credential was delayed due to my Uni not sending transcripts on time)
Application resubmitted- January 19, 2024
Internal Review 1 - February 1, 2024
Final Submission - Feb 16, 2024
Internal Review 2 - Feb 22, 2024
Academic Review - March 4, 2024.
Experience Review 1 &2 - April 16, 2024
Experience Review 3&4 - April 24, 2024
Case to Board - May 2024.
More information request - May 1, 2024 ( asked if I still worked with current employer)
Board's Decision - Deferral on May 15, 2024

Last edited:

Tosyn+

May 15, 2024
How much experience do you have in total? Is that foreign experience or within Canada?
One of my friend had similar case as your where he got the deferral because of 5 competencies. He updated those competencies and applied for reassessment. APEGA approved his case and he is P.Eng now.
I have 3 years of Canadian experience and 8 years of foreign experience. No exam was assigned by APEGA, at least not in the mail I got. To be honest, I was expecting the exams as I have read some foreign degrees usually get assigned but in the end, I was not assigned any. They only mentioned the 6 competencies and I have 2 years to update them or my application will be withdrawn automatically.

Francesc2

May 21, 2021
I have 3 years of Canadian experience and 8 years of foreign experience. No exam was assigned by APEGA, at least not in the mail I got. To be honest, I was expecting the exams as I have read some foreign degrees usually get assigned but in the end, I was not assigned any. They only mentioned the 6 competencies and I have 2 years to update them or my application will be withdrawn automatically.
Wow, it's really weird. Did they say what was wrong with those competencies or how you can improve them? Were those competencies related to your foreign work experience?

roberto_gm

Oct 7, 2019
My applications says "Case to Board" on May 2024 and I see some people posting they already received either approvals or deferrals.....I haven't received anything....any idea why???