+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP / Study Permit and Temporary Resident Visa

joannet

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
Hello,

I've applied for PR under Family Class (husband is sponsoring me) while I was a student. I received my OWP recently. Three questions:

1. Do I need to renew the study permit once it expires, or is the OWP's validity now my allowed stay in Canada (study permit expires some time this year, OWP - in 2019).

2. Can I withdraw from my university program temporarily? If I wait to become a PR and come back to school it would be significantly cheaper.

3. In a few days, individuals from my country of origin will no longer need temporary visas for traveling to Canada, provided they have had a Canadian or US visa in the past 10 years. I've had that. Do I need to get an eTA ASAP or should I just let my temporary resident visa lapse and do nothing?

Thanks!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. The OWP give you the right to work in Canada. It also gives you the legal right to reside in Canada.

2. Yes.

If you did not have the OWP, withdrawing from school would invalidate tour study permit, since holders of study permits must continue to, well...study.

3. Since you have an OWP, this must mean that you submitted an Inland application, correct? If so, you are strongly cautioned NOT to leave Canada during the PR approval process. Your OWP is not sufficient to guarantee re-entry into Canada (probably even says so wright on the OWP itself). If you are denied re-entry, your application is in real peril!

Your OWP is the only thing you need to prove you are authorized to remain in Canada.

Good luck!

joannet

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
Thank you, what you've said is my understanding as well. I do not plan to travel until I get my PR response (hopefully positive), but wanted to confirm my thoughts about the OWP and study permit :)

TC9797

Feb 14, 2017
1. The OWP give you the right to work in Canada. It also gives you the legal right to reside in Canada.

2. Yes.

If you did not have the OWP, withdrawing from school would invalidate tour study permit, since holders of study permits must continue to, well...study.

3. Since you have an OWP, this must mean that you submitted an Inland application, correct? If so, you are strongly cautioned NOT to leave Canada during the PR approval process. Your OWP is not sufficient to guarantee re-entry into Canada (probably even says so wright on the OWP itself). If you are denied re-entry, your application is in real peril!

Your OWP is the only thing you need to prove you are authorized to remain in Canada.

Good luck!
Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me with his one

I am a PhD student, with valid study permit until December 2017. I recently got an OWP under spousal sponsored PR that is now valid until 2019. I thought I will be done with my studies by October 2017, but I have to extend my study permit for another 6 months because my thesis defense got delayed. I have a full time job offer as well. So my question is:

1. Can I have both study permit and OWP (under spousal PR application) or will they cancel my OWP if I apply for a study permit?
2. Can I do a full time job considering I am reapplying for a study permit (basically to do more edits of my thesis and resubmit).

Thanks
Tanaya