20 August 2012
Passport Req..
08-02-2013, passport reached CPP-O - 04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-04-2013, PP received back on 18-04-2013
LANDED..........
20-04-2013
Hello guys,

Currently, I am student in Canada and I will be applying for post graduate work permit soon. Currently, my wife has open work permit which she got based on my study permit, but she does not work. My question is, when I apply for post graduate work permit for myself, can I apply for open work permit for my wife? Or I would have to apply for change of status from worker to visitor for her? Please advice.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hemu_vnit said:
Hello guys,

Currently, I am student in Canada and I will be applying for post graduate work permit soon. Currently, my wife has open work permit which she got based on my study permit, but she does not work. My question is, when I apply for post graduate work permit for myself, can I apply for open work permit for my wife? Or I would have to apply for change of status from worker to visitor for her? Please advice.
No, until you start working and can demonstrate that the job on your PGWP is NOC leval A, B or O, she is not eligible for a work permit. So she should be included as dependent on your work permit.

hemu_vnit

Star Member
Feb 3, 2011
montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 June 2012
AOR Received.
26 July 2012
Med's Request
31 July 2012
Med's Done....
20 August 2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
20-04-2013
PMM said:
Hi

No, until you start working and can demonstrate that the job on your PGWP is NOC leval A, B or O, she is not eligible for a work permit. So she should be included as dependent on your work permit.
Thanks ! You mean now I should apply for change of her status to visitor when I apply for my PGWP?

Yamini

May 11, 2012
hemu_vnit said:
Hello guys,

Hi hemu,
Are u from India? My husband is on a study permit doing a phd in Canada. Can u plz tell me how much time did it take you to get the OWP for your wife. Was there any medical examination that happened? Any police certificate. If yes! When did they ask you for a medical test after submitting the application?

Thanks a lot.

Please spare some time to reply?

hemu_vnit

Star Member
Feb 3, 2011
montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 June 2012
AOR Received.
26 July 2012
Med's Request
31 July 2012
Med's Done....
20 August 2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
20-04-2013
Yamini said:
Hi hemu,
Are u from India? My husband is on a study permit doing a phd in Canada. Can u plz tell me how much time did it take you to get the OWP for your wife. Was there any medical examination that happened? Any police certificate. If yes! When did they ask you for a medical test after submitting the application?

Thanks a lot.

Please spare some time to reply?
It took around 3 months to get work permit for my wife. The processing times vary according to the time period in year. So the processing times given on their website will give you an idea. They issued OWP and with that they sent a letter that medical exam needs to be done within 90 days. No police certificate required.

nicku141

Jul 5, 2012
hemu_vnit said:
Hello guys,

Hi hemu_vnit

I am new to this forum and I have read all your post n found that my case is same as yours. Kindly provide me some assistance regarding what to do next.
I came to Canada on October 2011 as a Vistor and i got my OWP against my Husbands Study permit. Now he is about to apply for his 3 year PGWP.I know in the old days, spouse of PGWP holder usually can get a open work permit even if my husband does not have a job offer. Now, I heard this is no longer true as many spouses' OWP applications got rejected.

My Question is

1. Is there anyway to extend my stay in Canada besides an OWP? In my Husbands application for PGWP, can i apply for a visitor record ( extension of stay as a visitor) ?

2. Will the visitor record be as long as my Husbands PGWP?

3. Is the visitor record still valid if the holder leaves Canada and return?

Your Reply will be a huge help to me.
Thanking you

koir0002

Jul 13, 2012
Hi,
I am also in same situation. I am going to apply for post graduation work permit for myself. However, my wife is now with open work pemit. To extend HER visa, do I need to apply for visitor or open work permit? do any members have experience of success apply for Open Work Permit of Visitor?

Please share your experience :p

It will be a great help.
Thank you

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
zhi

koir0002 said:
Hi,
I am also in same situation. I am going to apply for post graduation work permit for myself. However, my wife is now with open work pemit. To extend HER visa, do I need to apply for visitor or open work permit? do any members have experience of success apply for Open Work Permit of Visitor?

Please share your experience :p

It will be a great help.
Thank you
1. She will have to apply for an extension as a visitor. She can't apply for an OWP until you get a job in NOC A, B or O. Then she can apply for an OWP. with proof of your job duties.

sh19

Jul 8, 2011
Hello PMM,

Please advice...

I am on PGWP and working as skilled worker. Can my spouse apply for OPW (application made outside Canada) without an LMO or job offer letter.

Just based on my job letter?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
zhi

sh19 said:
Hello PMM,

Please advice...

I am on PGWP and working as skilled worker. Can my spouse apply for OPW (application made outside Canada) without an LMO or job offer letter.

Just based on my job letter?

Thanks
Yes, if you job letter from the employer demonstrates that you are working in NOC A, B or O. Although there is no guarantee that the overseas office will issue it. She still has to demonstrate home ties and she will return.

cher13liz

Aug 9, 2012
Re: OWP for spouse of PGWP holder? URGENT!

Hi hemu_vnit and PMM,

I am in a situation with the same issues of PGWP of my husband and my OWP.My husband has completed his studies here and applied for his PGWP in June,2012.Along with his documents he also applied for the extension of my open work permit along with it.The CIC informed by mail this week that my husband's documents can be processed.But for the wife's open work permit to be processed they would require his employment offer details.They have asked to provide it by Aug 15th,2012

My husband his not currently employed and is still on the look-out.I am also not employed at present.In this case,I understand that I would not be allowed the open work permit till he is employed as per the NOC employment list.

My doubt is whether my TRV as visitor and not with the open work permit will be processed along with the current application CIC has?Would they consider us as one unit?Or would I have to apply separately for my TRV?

We have to complete all of this by Aug 15th,2012.So I would really appreciate if anyone could help with the details.

Thank you
Liz

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Re: OWP for spouse of PGWP holder? URGENT!

Hi

cher13liz said:
Hi hemu_vnit and PMM,

I am in a situation with the same issues of PGWP of my husband and my OWP.My husband has completed his studies here and applied for his PGWP in June,2012.Along with his documents he also applied for the extension of my open work permit along with it.The CIC informed by mail this week that my husband's documents can be processed.But for the wife's open work permit to be processed they would require his employment offer details.They have asked to provide it by Aug 15th,2012

My husband his not currently employed and is still on the look-out.I am also not employed at present.In this case,I understand that I would not be allowed the open work permit till he is employed as per the NOC employment list.

My doubt is whether my TRV as visitor and not with the open work permit will be processed along with the current application CIC has?Would they consider us as one unit?Or would I have to apply separately for my TRV?

We have to complete all of this by Aug 15th,2012.So I would really appreciate if anyone could help with the details.

Thank you
Liz
You have to apply for an extension as a visitor. As you found out, your OWP was refused because your spouse has not started a job in NOC level A, B or O. So you better get your visitor extension request in pronto.

naveen.ntr

May 26, 2011
Hi hemu,

Right now i am in india and holds valid PGWP. Planning to get my wife along with me . please give me the check list to apply TRV for her. How about OWP once she is in canada ?

regards,
Naveen

Jun 12, 2015
I am in a similar situation.
I will try to keep it short though it's complex...

What are the chances of approval of my OWP if applied TOGETHER with my spouse's PGWP?

My situation:
Current in Canada on OWP corresponding to spouse's study permit which expires on Sep 30, 2015.
I have a job as a Systems Analyst. My employer wants to keep me with them at least till June 30, 2016 provided I have the requisite validity of work permit (which currently is only till Sep 30, 2015).

My spouse (husband)'s situation:
Currently in Canada on study permit (and co-op work permit) and is completing his co-op which ends on Jun 26, 2015 (either permit valid till Sep 30, 2015 as stated before).
He currently does not have any job lined up after finishing co-op on Jun 26, 2015.

What we intend to do is apply for my OWP TOGETHER with my spouse's PGWP application.
This is possible in myCIC portal as the option for application of my OWP TOGETHER with my spouse's PGWP application is displayed, if you answer all the questions the portal asks correctly.

What we don't know is whether my OWP in this scenario will be approved or not.
Do any you have gone through similar situations or know some of your friends who have gone through this scenario?
Do any one of you know for certain whether my OWP application be approved or rejected?

sunny.bc

Star Member
Apr 3, 2014
vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CIO SYDNEY NS
NOC Code......
NOC B
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2014
Nomination.....
23-02-2015
AOR Received.
XEP ON JUNE 4TH 2015
Med's Request
Nov 25th 2015
Med's Done....
Nov 28th 2015
Passport Req..
March 1st 2016
VISA ISSUED...
March 4th 2016
LANDED..........
March 21st 2016
crazy_immigration_system said:
I am in a similar situation.
I will try to keep it short though it's complex...

What are the chances of approval of my OWP if applied TOGETHER with my spouse's PGWP?

My situation:
Current in Canada on OWP corresponding to spouse's study permit which expires on Sep 30, 2015.
I have a job as a Systems Analyst. My employer wants to keep me with them at least till June 30, 2016 provided I have the requisite validity of work permit (which currently is only till Sep 30, 2015).

My spouse (husband)'s situation:
Currently in Canada on study permit (and co-op work permit) and is completing his co-op which ends on Jun 26, 2015 (either permit valid till Sep 30, 2015 as stated before).
He currently does not have any job lined up after finishing co-op on Jun 26, 2015.

What we intend to do is apply for my OWP TOGETHER with my spouse's PGWP application.
This is possible in myCIC portal as the option for application of my OWP TOGETHER with my spouse's PGWP application is displayed, if you answer all the questions the portal asks correctly.

What we don't know is whether my OWP in this scenario will be approved or not.
Do any you have gone through similar situations or know some of your friends who have gone through this scenario?
Do any one of you know for certain whether my OWP application be approved or rejected?
It will be rejected reason being the pgwp holder should have job in NOC O A B level inorder for spouse to get owp