+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Owe Koodo $9.58... Will it affect future PR application?

sonnabend

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
Paris
I was in Canada for a 6-month study exchange. I have left for good in January. Apparently I still owe Koodo $9.58 for my phone bill which I cancelled 3 days after the bill cycle ended, I would like to settle the payment but they're making things very difficult for me. First, I can't pay without a CANADIAN credit card and second, instead of paying just $9.58, I had to pay over $60 first (for the one month bill cycle) and then they'll reimburse me the outstanding $53+, but it can only be done through sending a cheque to me but it has to be a CANADIAN address.

I asked Koodo it's not possible for me settle the payment as I have left Canada for good so what would be the consequences? This is their reply:

"Your Koodo account is attached to the credit bureau in Canada and we report every 30 days. What would happen is that late payments will be reported to the credit bureau and the account may end up in a collections agency. All of this would affect your credit score and there are high chances that this will affect your eligibility to any service that requires a credit check or checks out your past payment history (ex: a loan, postpaid phone service..)"

Now I am a bit worried this would affect my future PR application :( will the government check the credit bureau as well?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Won't be an issue for your PR application. It may have an effect on your credit rating if it goes to collections. Make sure you document all your efforts to settle the issue (phone calls, e-mail, letters) in case you need to argue the matter with the credit beureau later.

Try sending them a bank draft in CDN$.