+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

overstayed out of Canada by 9 months!

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Hey guys!
I became a permanent resident of Canada in september 2009 but came back shortly after two weeks(and stayed continuously here) as I go to school here in India. Now I still have about two years of school left(I'm in med school), but my family is in canada.
So if I go to Canada in june this year(overstayed for about 9 months), what are the chances of the authorities reporting me on landing.
Actually, it would be kinda helpfull for me as I am still a full time and my mom would be able to sponser me again.(I would not be able to meet residency requirement anyway, my PR card expires in oct 2014 and my degree finishes in about april 2015)

any help will be appreciated!

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Nobody can tell you the chances of being reported - it all depends on the CBSA agent you meet at the port of entry. It used to be that using the Automated Gates increased the odds of passing through ok but CBSA have that covered now and you can get referred to Secondary Inspection.

2. If you get in without being reported then don't apply for a PR Card prior to meeting the RO.

3. The medical profession is regulated in Canada. In common with many other overseas educated PRs in regulated professions you may find that all your years of study are not recognized as and when you decide to seek employment as a doctor in Canada - check the provincial health ministries for their registration requirements....you would have been better off studying medicine in Canada.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Msafiri said:
3. The medical profession is regulated in Canada. In common with many other overseas educated PRs in regulated professions you may find that all your years of study are not recognized as and when you decide to seek employment as a doctor in Canada - check the provincial health ministries for their registration requirements....you would have been better off studying medicine in Canada.
This is very true about the health profession in Canada in general. My wife was a physical therapist in the US and has to jump through hoops, take multiple exams and spend a lot of money to get licensed in Canada even though both US and Canada PT schools have nearly identical curriculum (and they use many of the same text books). It will be about another year or so before she'll be able to practice. And this is for physical therapy. Doctors have it much worse. I know this one girl from Eastern Europe who was a doctor in her home country. Took her a few YEARS before she was able to start working. Canada is notoriously strict about this. Too much IMHO. They have a shortage of health professionals so they recruit them from other countries... only to then have all these barriers to prevent them from practicing right away once they are here. Pretty dumb.