+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

overstayed and now want to return and immigrate

torbenmiller

Feb 9, 2010
i arrived in canada 2006 and left in 2009 in that period of time i did not work or break any laws,other than the overstay. i will also mention within this time i married a (born)canadian woman.i left canada in good standings as that is what immigration calls it.Now what i would like to know is how do i do my application with the overstay,what will happen when i do this.will it make it harder for me to get the permission granted from immigration?Also there is no jobs in my own country and if i collect welfare in my country will that effect my immigrating to canada. i look forward to all the replies.More questions to come at a later time.thanks for all replies.

kierra

Jul 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can tell you from my experience, as long as you have no other issues your overstay should be ok. In my case I overstayed nearly eleven years, 5 of them married to my Canadian born husband. I was completely honest in my application listing the Canadian addresses we lived at during that time and the Canadian schools my children attended. In my case there were no negative implications and it took 3 months from start to finish. Every case is different obviously, but don't be afraid of filing your app. Best wishes!

Mrs.thom

Dec 29, 2014
Hi there! I have a similar situation. I overstayed for two years. I tried to apply for a tourist visa but go denied. My Canadian daughter is with me. Do you think I will get an approval if I apply for Family Sponsorship?

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Mrs.thom said:
Hi there! I have a similar situation. I overstayed for two years. I tried to apply for a tourist visa but go denied. My Canadian daughter is with me. Do you think I will get an approval if I apply for Family Sponsorship?
Sponsored by whom? Your spouse or your daughter? Your TRV was denied quite apparently due to your record of overstaying, just for starters. Either way it should have minimal impact if any on a sponsorship application under the Family Class.

Mrs.thom

Dec 29, 2014
I will try to apply for spousal family sponsorship. Do you think we need to ask for immigration lawyer assistance with forms and letters? And do you know how much they cost. Thank you for your reply.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
You seem to have good command of the English Language. A little help with ambiguous questions from this forum, and you should not need to use a lawyer or immigration consultant.

AshleyAnne

Dec 8, 2011
Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2014
Doc's Request.
12-18-2014 (Evidence of return to Canada & RTRF)
AOR Received.
28-08-2014
File Transfer...
28-08-2014
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waoved
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR Received April 25th
LANDED..........
ETA May 14
torbenmiller said:
i arrived in canada 2006 and left in 2009 in that period of time i did not work or break any laws,other than the overstay. i will also mention within this time i married a (born)canadian woman.i left canada in good standings as that is what immigration calls it.Now what i would like to know is how do i do my application with the overstay,what will happen when i do this.will it make it harder for me to get the permission granted from immigration?Also there is no jobs in my own country and if i collect welfare in my country will that effect my immigrating to canada. i look forward to all the replies.More questions to come at a later time.thanks for all replies.
Your overstay shouldn't effect anything. I'm not 100% about the welfare, I know your sponsor CANNOT be on welfare or any other form of social assistance (bankruptcy ect) but I'm not sure about you, considering they want to be sure that you will not burden the Canadian system you may want to avoid welfare at all. Again, I'm not sure. I don't recal them requesting any information on my husbands status when I sponsored him, just myself.