+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outside Canada - Oath of Citizenship

Gondal27

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020
You need to be in Canada to take the Oath of Citizenship. If you get your invitation while you’re outside Canada, reply to the invitation email to explain your situation in detail.

In your email

• put “Outside Canada – Oath of Citizenship” in the subject line
  • In the body of your message, include
    • your full name
    • your application number
    • a detailed explanation of your situation
We’ll contact you with your next steps after we receive your email.

ghonghadze

Star Member
Nov 15, 2014
Yes they do but you have to tell them when they send you the oath invite that you are outside and they will tell you what to do and how to do the oath outside.

phoenix232

Apr 3, 2015
Yes they do but you have to tell them when they send you the oath invite that you are outside and they will tell you what to do and how to do the oath outside.
Plz back this up with actual link to a post or CIC link.

You need to let them know so that they can reschedule the citizenship.

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
I'm not saying I don't believe you, but no other member reported this. Anyone who is outside Canada and asked for permission to attend was told to send valid reason and then send boarding passes once they are back. Then IRCC will reschedule them.

What exactly happened to the person that you know? Like did they join the zoom meeting? Did they go to a consulate and embassy? What exactly happened? Many people are interested to know..

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
I was very surprised to hear this news which I will share now, the wife of my friend went back to her country and her oath was scheduled while she was there so they contacted IRCC and told them that she was not in Canada and asked them to allow her to take Oath from that country. IRCC then contacted her and allowed her to take oath from that Country and she had her oath in the beginning of December so IT is possible to take Oath outside Canada. and Her application was in the Scarborough IRCC office. I thought it was not possible but I know them very well and they are my friend so it happened for real.
I am a "condemned like others " 2019 Citizenship applicant and still waiting for my Oath in Canada....
The procedure should be very simple for them to implement. They only need citizens to surrender their PR card upon arrival in Canada and then issue them citizenship certificate. Why can they not just make things easier for us......

Last edited:

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
The procedure should be very simple for them to implement this. They only need citizens to surrender their PR card upon arrival in Canada and then issue them citizenship certificate. Why can they not just make things easier for us......
Or just ask issue the citizenship certificates online like we have the vaccine passports. Any new citizens could download the certificate and go to the consulate and apply for Canadian passport. Simple.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Stuff happens, so I will not dispute a particular instance. Or bother to try explaining how it could have happened in one or five instances.

But current law does not allow a Section 5(1) citizenship applicant to take the oath of citizenship outside Canada.

In particular, the current law requires adults granted citizenship pursuant to Section 5(1) to take "the oath of citizenship by swearing or solemnly affirming it before a citizenship judge" and this must be done IN Canada. See Citizenship Regulations 17 through 24.

As further discussed here:
Taking Oath Abroad:

Not all grants of citizenship are pursuant to Section 5(1) in the Citizenship Act. For SOME grants of citizenship the law allows the oath of citizenship to be administered by a foreign service officer if the person is outside Canada. A person who has applied for and is granted a resumption of citizenship, for example, can take the oath abroad. Likewise a person specially granted citizenship to alleviate statelessness. Among other EXCEPTIONS, including minors between 14 and the age of majority granted citizenship pursuant to Section 5(2).

Otherwise the current law requires adults granted citizenship pursuant to Section 5(1) to take "the oath of citizenship by swearing or solemnly affirming it before a citizenship judge" and this must be done IN Canada. See Citizenship Regulations 17 through 24. Some forum participants claim there will be changes to this forthcoming but those posting this are notoriously unreliable, generally among the deliberately disruptive and offensive usual suspects, and have provided no reliable sources (for just about anything).
Some further nuances also discussed here:

While Regulation 22 allows for the Minister to authorize an exception to Regulation 19 in particular cases, that is ONLY as to WHO administers the oath. So, where Regulation 19 states the person must "take the oath of citizenship by swearing or solemnly affirming it before a citizenship judge," Regulation 22 allows the Minister to authorize someone other than a Citizenship Judge to administer the oath, thus allowing in the particular case for a person to "take the oath of citizenship by swearing or solemnly affirming it before" an individual who has been authorized, in writing, to act on the Minister's behalf.

Reactions: vvarma

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Or just ask issue the citizenship certificates online like we have the vaccine passports. Any new citizens could download the certificate and go to the consulate and apply for Canadian passport. Simple.
Is this option in effect? The agent didn't mention anything on this regard during the ceremony :confused: I would have selected it instead of waiting for weeks to receive my certificate.

Reactions: snoopyta

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
All proof of Canadian citizenship is issued in the form of a paper certificate with security features – citizenship cards have not been issued since 2012 due to severe deficiencies in the security of the document and how easily they can be forged or copied.
- https://dfimmigration.ca/citizenship-card-replacement/

I don't think online citizenship certificates are going to be an option, at least in the near future.

Reactions: akbardxb

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Is this option in effect? The agent didn't mention anything on this regard during the ceremony :confused: I would have selected it instead of waiting for weeks to receive my certificate.
No. I was just sharing my ideas here that with all the technologies we have, they should explore this option as well. They will have all the data points i.e. UCI, App number, DOB, etc. to make sure that the person is not forging the the citizenship certificate etc.

Reactions: CaBeaver

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
So does your wife's friend have to wait for the certificate to get Canadian passport at embassy for re-entry? Or is she from a visa-exempt country so she can just get in with home-country passport? How will she get into Canada eventually?