+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outside Canada - Oath of Citizenship

marygbrasil

Star Member
Mar 1, 2023
Could someone please confirm if I have understood right, that you are able to do the whole citizenship application process online and also out of the country? So, my plan is to submit the application once I'm eligible, then go back to home country and come back to Canada once I have the e-certificate of Canadian citizenship?
You should definitelty double check this, but as far as I know you need to be in Canada to take the online test and for the citizenship ceremony. Also, I have heard of people getting checked more when they spend more time out of the country while they were on PR status, and applying for citizenship.

alex202323

Sep 7, 2023
Read this topic and understood that taking Oath outside its ok, but in my Oath letter indicating

"
3. Inside Canada: By participating in this video oath ceremony, you confirm that you, and any family
members associated to your application, will be taking the Oath of citizenship in Canada. If you are
not currently in Canada, contact us as soon as possible in order for us to reschedule your ceremony.
Indicate “Outside Canada – Oath of citizenship” in the subject line of the email. Within the text of your
email, include your name, application number and planned date of return to Canada.
"

I little bit confusing.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Read this topic and understood that taking Oath outside its ok, but in my Oath letter indicating

"
3. Inside Canada: By participating in this video oath ceremony, you confirm that you, and any family
members associated to your application, will be taking the Oath of citizenship in Canada. If you are
not currently in Canada, contact us as soon as possible in order for us to reschedule your ceremony.
Indicate “Outside Canada – Oath of citizenship” in the subject line of the email. Within the text of your
email, include your name, application number and planned date of return to Canada.
"

I little bit confusing.
They don't allow everyone and anyone to take oath outside Canada. It's done in extreme cases, the details of which are not clear.
Hopefully IRCC will publish the criteria clearly.

Reactions: dpenabill

lecos

Mar 20, 2017
Very confusing. Based on the previous messages I expected that after emailing that you are outside of Canada they would easily approve it but you actually get an response saying that it requires Registrar approval that could take 1 or 2 months.

"
"

I little bit confusing.

benali

Star Member
Sep 18, 2018
I am also being processed at the Montreal office. I submitted request to take the oath outside of Canada same day I received email invitation (30 Aug). Yesterday, I received an email indicating that I had requested an e-Certificate (which I did not). Ghost update on my tracker today, too.

I hope I receive confirmation that I can indeed take the oath from outside of Canada as I do not want to be told at the ceremony that I cannot take the oath...
whats the update were you able to take the ceremony?

lecos

Mar 20, 2017
I am also being processed at the Montreal office. I submitted request to take the oath outside of Canada same day I received email invitation (30 Aug). Yesterday, I received an email indicating that I had requested an e-Certificate (which I did not). Ghost update on my tracker today, too.

I hope I receive confirmation that I can indeed take the oath from outside of Canada as I do not want to be told at the ceremony that I cannot take the oath...
did you have to send a request to the Registrar to take the oath outside of Canada?

tmomoh

Nov 22, 2017
I received an in-person interview request. Is it possible that I can request an online interview since I am outside Canada and currently working full-time in East Asia.

jack150

Star Member
Feb 7, 2016
Could someone please confirm if I have understood right, that you are able to do the whole citizenship application process online and also out of the country? So, my plan is to submit the application once I'm eligible, then go back to home country and come back to Canada once I have the e-certificate of Canadian citizenship?
So far I've been out of the country for the full process. I applied end of Feb and returned to my home country shortly after. I notified IRCC that I was out of the country and updated my residential address.

I took the test outside Canada and after that received passport request (end of May). Currently waiting for further updates.

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
Hi everyone, my app is with the Montreal processing office. Paper application early November, test outside Canada mid April. No news since then. I ordered gcms notes and saw they made some change to “adoption eligibility” mid August. Feeling very worried and an

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017

What was your timeline like? I cannot view your profile

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017

Which email did you send that you would like to take the Oath ceremony outside Canada? Did you receive confirmation yet?

ps2qft

Aug 4, 2014
Which email did you send that you would like to take the Oath ceremony outside Canada? Did you receive confirmation yet?

Hi all, this is probably my last post on this forum. I wanted to add my experience with the oath ceremony.

I had my oath ceremony on September 7, 2023 with the Montreal office. My request to do the virtual ceremony from outside of Canada was not approved. I was an applicant who had an overseas mailing address and even took the citizenship test from outside of Canada. Unfortunately I was notified of the oath ceremony only the week prior and I had longstanding travel arrangements for the same day. Nevertheless, my request was denied. Notably, these were just travel arrangements for pleasure. So, I had to rework many things to get to Canada in time. It all worked out in the end, but it was certainly expensive and led to a number of scheduling issues for other things.

So, there is certainly a mixed experience with respect to taking the oath from outside of Canada.

Best of luck everyone!

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi all, this is probably my last post on this forum. I wanted to add my experience with the oath ceremony.

I had my oath ceremony on September 7, 2023 with the Montreal office. My request to do the virtual ceremony from outside of Canada was not approved. I was an applicant who had an overseas mailing address and even took the citizenship test from outside of Canada. Unfortunately I was notified of the oath ceremony only the week prior and I had longstanding travel arrangements for the same day. Nevertheless, my request was denied. Notably, these were just travel arrangements for pleasure. So, I had to rework many things to get to Canada in time. It all worked out in the end, but it was certainly expensive and led to a number of scheduling issues for other things.

So, there is certainly a mixed experience with respect to taking the oath from outside of Canada.

Best of luck everyone!
I always tell people to be prepared to be in Canada for oath. Some people do get approved but the criteria for it is not clear.
I get nasty comments when I say it's not easy to get oath outside Canada. Hope your post helps people to understand the same.