+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland Spousal Sponsorship - US to Canada

JonnyBoy123

Jun 6, 2020
Hello all. My wife is a dual Canadian / US citizen by birth (dad=US, mom=Canada, born in Canada). We met several years ago in San Francisco and recently married.

She was just offered a job for the government of Nova Scotia, with a tentative start date of Q1 2021. We've started the process of applying for PR status for me via the outland spousal sponsorship class.

Is it possible for me to travel to Canada and stay with her as a visitor while my paperwork is processed? I'm currently working entirely remotely for a U.S. firm, paid in U.S. dollars, working for U.S. clients exclusively. My firm is in the process of getting established in Canada so it can pay me as a Canadian employee once I get my PR status, but in the meantime I'd like to stay in Canada as a visitor and work for them from there. Once my PR status is confirmed I will transition to a Canadian employee.

Thoughts?

Reactions: dreamscanadian

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello all. My wife is a dual Canadian / US citizen by birth (dad=US, mom=Canada, born in Canada). We met several years ago in San Francisco and recently married.

She was just offered a job for the government of Nova Scotia, with a tentative start date of Q1 2021. We've started the process of applying for PR status for me via the outland spousal sponsorship class.

Is it possible for me to travel to Canada and stay with her as a visitor while my paperwork is processed? I'm currently working entirely remotely for a U.S. firm, paid in U.S. dollars, working for U.S. clients exclusively. My firm is in the process of getting established in Canada so it can pay me as a Canadian employee once I get my PR status, but in the meantime I'd like to stay in Canada as a visitor and work for them from there. Once my PR status is confirmed I will transition to a Canadian employee.

Thoughts?
Sounds like you have already done some research!! Yes you can join her in Canada as a visitor and you can continue to work remotely for your US company with the caveat that none of your clients are in Canada.

Reactions: dreamscanadian

dreamscanadian

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
13-10-2020
Sounds like you have already done some research!! Yes you can join her in Canada as a visitor and you can continue to work remotely for your US company with the caveat that none of your clients are in Canada.

I agree with @Canada2020eh here. It also sounds like your company is aware of residency change once you get your PR. However, if your company establishes in Canada before your PR is approved that could be a tricky situation as then it would be a Canadian company that you could potentially be taking a Canadian job (even if it is only available to you). Timing is everything. We were working on a similar situation before covid.