+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland Spousal Sponsorship -- sending medical exam after the application

begaana

Jun 5, 2012
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I wish I'd found it earlier -- I wouldn't have made this dumb mistake on my application. :(

I'm sponsoring my wife outland (USA) to come to Canada. Our lawyer sent the application to CIC-Mississauga on April 16, and it seems to have reached them on the 18th, according to UPS tracking. No email or AOR from CIC to verify this, unfortunately. I am not able to track the case online yet -- if I understand the other posters on this forum correctly, it will probably take about 90 days before I can even see what's going on with it.

Today I've been hit with a nasty surprise. We were told that she did not have to do the medical exam until after sending in the application, and so she didn't get around to it until recently. It was only today, while reading this forum, that I discovered that we should have sent the exam WITH the application! It's amazing that our lawyer didn't tell us about this. Immigration lawyers aren't worth the money, if you ask me, unless you're ready to spend $5000+ for a really good one.

So, obviously, we're going to courier the medical exam in ASAP and hope that they'll put it in with the file that we previously sent. Another poster mentioned that CIC sent his application back and made him do it over because he hadn't submitted the medical exam with the rest of the application, so I really hope that they accept this and put it with the application before they decide to reject the whole thing. Any tips on how to increase the likelihood of their doing this?

ashunandal

Champion Member
Jun 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 26, 2012
File Transfer...
May 1, 2012
Interview........
July 31, 2012 (approved) went "in process" same day
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Visa stamped on August 3, 2012 and passport received back on August 13, 2012
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
begaana said:
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I wish I'd found it earlier -- I wouldn't have made this dumb mistake on my application. :(

I'm sponsoring my wife outland (USA) to come to Canada. Our lawyer sent the application to CIC-Mississauga on April 16, and it seems to have reached them on the 18th, according to UPS tracking. No email or AOR from CIC to verify this, unfortunately. I am not able to track the case online yet -- if I understand the other posters on this forum correctly, it will probably take about 90 days before I can even see what's going on with it.

Today I've been hit with a nasty surprise. We were told that she did not have to do the medical exam until after sending in the application, and so she didn't get around to it until recently. It was only today, while reading this forum, that I discovered that we should have sent the exam WITH the application! It's amazing that our lawyer didn't tell us about this. Immigration lawyers aren't worth the money, if you ask me, unless you're ready to spend $5000+ for a really good one.

So, obviously, we're going to courier the medical exam in ASAP and hope that they'll put it in with the file that we previously sent. Another poster mentioned that CIC sent his application back and made him do it over because he hadn't submitted the medical exam with the rest of the application, so I really hope that they accept this and put it with the application before they decide to reject the whole thing. Any tips on how to increase the likelihood of their doing this?
sorry to hear that but there is no option other than wait for reply from CIC. you cant send any additional docs before they request regardless its very imp. we sent some documents and cic returned without opening our package, they sent one letter also stating"dont send anything until we request". why you guy go to lawyers(liers)they dont know more than us and if your relationship is real and genuine, you dont need lawyer for sure. better you spend few days on this forum than paying to lawyer. im really angry with your lawyer, they mentioned clearly on CIC website that you must send your medical exam receipt with application otherwise your application will be returned.
but dont worry it will take around 2-3 weeks more to receive your package back and send again to CIC. and most important" go to your lawyer again and ask to refund your fees otherwise you can ask CIC to cancel their licence, if they are registered with CIC.
you can get all kind of help here on this forum free of cost and with lot of mentally support.
AND DONT SEND YOUR MEDICAL EXAM RECEIPT NOW, YOU CAN LOOSE YOUR RECORDS BECAUSE CIC RETURNS VIA SIMPLE POST (CANADA POST IS NOT SO GREAT)
good luck

Deficient

Feb 22, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
11/07/2012 [CSQ]
File Transfer...
08/06/2012
Med's Request
Signature has med furtherance details
Med's Done....
10/02/2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01/11/2012
I agree with the post above. Don't send in the medical receipt now as they will not have the rest of your application in their system and so will not have any means to match the receipt to the rest of your application. It could end up lost.

Another user who applied on 16 February did the same thing as you, sent application without a medical receipt, and was later on 25 May requested to send in the medical receipt. That person did not have their whole application returned to them, so you might be OK.

Wait for instructions from CIC, for example a letter from them requesting the medical receipt. You will then have an identification number to allow them to match the receipt with your application, and possibly also the name of an officer to whom you can address the receipt.

alveenmomin

Star Member
Jun 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-12-2011
Doc's Request.
07-06--2012 and 02-05-2013
File Transfer...
09-08-2012
Med's Done....
25-05-2012
Interview........
mostly waived
Passport Req..
28-08-2012 received on 30-08-2012
LANDED..........
Hopefully soon
hi everyone..i submitted my document on 28 dec 2011 without medical ..
today 5 june 2012 cic call center on phone told me that cic has returned your application on 28 may 2012...bcoz of not submitting medical...i am yet to get hold of my file...
they even told me to re-apply all over again ..as new application...with same fee reciept

but my loss is 5 month ..why do they have to hold my file for so long
so everyone be cautious

hogaishaadi

Jun 26, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
OTT-ISL-LON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar-2012
Doc's Request.
Ad Doc's May 2013
AOR Received.
May-12 ISL - July-14 LON
File Transfer...
June-2014 LON
Med's Request
July 2014
Med's Done....
Aug 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 8, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2014
LANDED..........
Inshallah Dec 2014
call them regarding it and hear it straight from the horses mouth as to whats the best viable option here... it all depends on the human that looks at ur file, they can do any of the following, send the file back, ask you to submit it again....

i recommend, call them and at the same time have your spouse get their medical done, if they return the file so be it, what is done is done, dont wait for the file to come to ur door to take the next step as either way you have to get the medical done...

and yes, lawyers are pretty much useless, these things can be done on our own accord... i have seen a few ppl that have been screwed by the lawyers, all the ppl i know in person that went the lawyer route are struggling...

ccunnington

Nov 19, 2011
Sincelejo, Colombia
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2012
AOR Received.
19-06-2012 (Mississauga). 06-11-2012 (Bogota).
File Transfer...
11-07-2012
Med's Done....
10-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2013
I guess it depends where you are applying from as to whether or not you send in your medical (and police check) with the app. I'm sponsoring my wife from Colombia, and it clearly said on the CIC website and in the region specific guide NOT to send these in until you receive a request from the visa office. We verified this by calling one of the Medical practicioners here in Colombia, and he said they won't do the immigration medical unless you have your number from CIC from Step 1. He then would send the medical directly to the visa office, and you won't see it.

ashunandal

Champion Member
Jun 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 26, 2012
File Transfer...
May 1, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
alveenmomin said:
hi everyone..i submitted my document on 28 dec 2011 without medical ..
today 5 june 2012 cic call center on phone told me that cic has returned your application on 28 may 2012...bcoz of not submitting medical...i am yet to get hold of my file...
they even told me to re-apply all over again ..as new application...with same fee reciept

but my loss is 5 month ..why do they have to hold my file for so long
so everyone be cautious
OMG :eek: :eek: :eek: 5 months
i thought i waited longer (96 days) than other for sponsorship approval but nooooo its really horrible to wait for 5 months and got application back. you should be ready with additional docs so when you receive your application back send it right away with missing docs. it wont take more than 1-2 weeks for approval now. i think they will send you one letter explaining missing docs just go through that letter and send application back asap.
goodluck :)

ashunandal

Champion Member
Jun 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 26, 2012
File Transfer...
May 1, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
ccunnington said:
I guess it depends where you are applying from as to whether or not you send in your medical (and police check) with the app. I'm sponsoring my wife from Colombia, and it clearly said on the CIC website and in the region specific guide NOT to send these in until you receive a request from the visa office. We verified this by calling one of the Medical practicioners here in Colombia, and he said they won't do the immigration medical unless you have your number from CIC from Step 1. He then would send the medical directly to the visa office, and you won't see it.
oh yes
i heard same thing many times before, i hope "begaana" has same kind of VO
i think your processing time is longer than life of a medical result thats why they dont request at first ::) ::) :-\

begaana

Jun 5, 2012
Thanks, all of you, for your kindness and support. I really feel down right now but I'm glad that there are people other than lawyers who are out there to give such great advice.

ccunnington, thanks for your input -- if what you say is true then maybe I'm worrying myself over nothing. I will check the country-specific documentation right away!

hogaishaadi, I've been trying to call Canadian Immigration for several hours now. As other people on this forum have said, it's impossible to get even the automated system. I'll keep trying, though, but I also need to work.

Thanks especially to ashunandal and Deficient, I hadn't thought of that. If it weren't for the high cost, I would immediately get my wife to do a second medical exam, and send the first medical exam anyway. Then even if the first one got lost, we would have the second to send when they ask for it, or, God forbid, when they send back our application and have us do it over again. It's pretty expensive to have a medical exam done, but I wonder whether it isn't worth it just for the little extra peace of mind. I'll try to get a hold of CIC on the phone first, though...good luck to me.

alveenmomin, you have no idea how sorry I am for you. I hope that it is better for you from now on.

I'm learning that ashunandal is right. Unless your case is extremely complex, keep away from immigration lawyers.

begaana

Jun 5, 2012
UPDATE: Unfortunately the US-specific instructions seem to indicate that the medical should be sent in with the application. :( So as a first step I'll keep trying to get a hold of Immigration and ask them what to do.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
begaana said:
UPDATE: Unfortunately the US-specific instructions seem to indicate that the medical should be sent in with the application. :( So as a first step I'll keep trying to get a hold of Immigration and ask them what to do.
Yes. However, they won't USE the medical until step 2. At this point, the only thing you could really try would be to fax a copy of the medical form with a cover letter to CPC-M explaining you've done it - fax number is available at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/canada/mississauga.asp

I would not mail it to Mississauga since it likely won't catch up with your file. Send it, once you have a file and UCI number, to the Visa Office.

begaana

Jun 5, 2012
I've just had a conversation with my wife, leading to more confusion. I don't think emailing or calling our clearly incompetent lawyer will help at this point, but maybe some of you folks will have suggestions.

The papers that she has, it seems, are not her medical exam results. When she did her exam, the DMP said that s/he would send the results directly to CPC-M in 10 business days (7 days from today). What was given to my wife is a sealed envelope, which she was instructed to give to her sponsor (me) to send separately to CPC-M. Can anyone tell me what this mysterious envelope might be?

This complicates our next steps, no matter whether we decide to send the mysterious envelope now or after receiving some kind of communication from CPC-M:

1) If we send it to CPC-M now, then as many of you say, it may not reach them either because they won't know where to put it (or can't be bothered to put it with the right application) or because the file will have moved on to the visa office (in our case I think this is the Case Processing Pilot in Ottawa, since the Buffalo centre doesn't process these applications any longer). If that happens and the envelope gets lost, she will have to get her medical exam done again anyhow.

2) If we wait for CPC-M to get in touch with us to re-do the medical exam, the difficulty is that my wife may not be in the US by the time they get back to us, and she'll have to travel to the US again to have it done, which may cause complications (long story).

I've been calling the CIC Call Centre all day. I have never been able to get anyone, human or machine, on the line. As for the lawyer, apparently he told my wife (over the phone) that she should do the medical exam after submitting the application. I wish that he had said so in writing; we would have had proof of it.

alveenmomin

Star Member
Jun 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-12-2011
Doc's Request.
07-06--2012 and 02-05-2013
File Transfer...
09-08-2012
Med's Done....
25-05-2012
Interview........
mostly waived
Passport Req..
28-08-2012 received on 30-08-2012
LANDED..........
Hopefully soon
@begaana- i just received my file in mail box half hour before...

cic has given me 2 months time from today..that is till 28 july 2012 to resubmit my application

and they have have also ask me to provide complete copy of every page of all passports (including currrent) for myself(applicant).
hope this might help

Deficient

Feb 22, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
11/07/2012 [CSQ]
File Transfer...
08/06/2012
Med's Request
Signature has med furtherance details
Med's Done....
10/02/2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01/11/2012
What you're supposed to be given from the DMP is a carbon copy of a form the DMP sends away with the medical results, and the carbon copy acts as your receipt and proof of medical (you aren't actually given the results, and "results" is a bit of a misnomer because it isn't really the DMP who decides if you pass your medical or not).

The receipt is normally sent with the application to Mississauga because the medicals initially go to a different place for assessment. The receipt allows the application and the medical to be matched up later on.

Did the DMP specifically instruct your wife NOT to open the envelope? I don't think it's essential that the medical receipt be sent in an envelope like that?

hogaishaadi

Jun 26, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
OTT-ISL-LON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar-2012
Doc's Request.
Ad Doc's May 2013
AOR Received.
May-12 ISL - July-14 LON
File Transfer...
June-2014 LON
Med's Request
July 2014
Med's Done....
Aug 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 8, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2014
LANDED..........
Inshallah Dec 2014
@begaana

my friend i think you can only do first medical on your own, for which they send the file to your potential visa office (that you highlight on the medical form) and hand you a copy of the medical report that you send along with the application. the second medical you cannot do voluntarily, it is only done when re-med is requested by a visa office... call yours to find out, its known for chc-isl that you cannot do a 2nd medical voluntarily... so look into it where ever your visa office is, or you can call one of the designated medical offices by the visa office to find out. good luck...