+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OUTLAND FSW-EE Application Cancelled/Rejected (Somali National)

itslifeiguess

Mar 1, 2024
Hi guys! I have been a lurker on this website forum for many months now and all of you have been very informative and kind in sharing your stories on here. Today, I am going to share my experience incase some of you may have gone through this, or incase it could help someone else. It's a long one so thank you in advance for reading this! Key point: I am a Somali national living abroad.

In March 2023, as I was approaching the final stages of my PhD journey, I decided to give skilled migration a try. I read up on different programs from different countries (Australia clearly states repeatedly that Somali passports are not accepted) and I decided to try Canada. I read extensively (lol.. you'll see why I laugh in minute) what the requirements were, what was expected from me and what documents were needed. While reading up on this, on this website https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents.html it explains that I need a passport (which I do, albiet a Somali one but nevertheless) and it states something for Venezuelan citizens).

In April 2023, I started collecting and preparing all my documents. I did the general IELTS test (Listening 8.5, Reading 8.5, Writing 7.5, Speaking 8.5, Overall 8.5). I did the ECA for my Master's degree (I did not do it for my PhD because I have yet to get my diploma/official transcript). I gathered all my police certificates from 3 different countries, did upfront medical exam, and I made sure I had enough funds (which I already did) in my account. I also made sure I was able to get proof of my work experience (6 years experience) and work history (I am a Statistician working for a university). I made sure to check if I was eligible for FSW program, and met the minimum 67 points needed. Before you start the application, there is a questionnaire that you will have to fill out to see if you meet the requirements/eligibility. If you do meet it, you will get a personal reference code (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool-immigration-express-entry.html). I stated when asked about nationality that I was Somali and that I had a Somali passport and I got that personal reference code. The tool said I was eligible for FSW EE and that I could continue my application.

In May 2023, I applied for Federal Skilled Worker under Express Entry. I am applying from outside Canada (outland). With my education, work experience, age and language score, my CRS is 486. In the system, I did state that I am a Somali national with a Somali passport and I was able to create my profile and be a candidate in the pool.

In December 2023, I received an ITA under the STEM category draw. I was ecstatic and ready because I prepared all my documents beforehand. 2 days later, I applied and got AOR.
I waited... and waited... waited for something. A request for biometric? A request to do medicals again? Additional documents? I was ready for whatever. I was optimistic and hopeful. I spent my entire life, since the day I was born, living abroad in a country that did not have birth-right citizenships. Although I am living in a good country, with lovely friends and colleagues, I do not want to continue living year-to-year on work permits like my parents did. I am grateful for the amazing education (attended international schools and universities) and work experience I have, and that I was finally able to migrate to a wonderful country like Canada in a lawful and legal way, by my merits. I would be able to work at university, teaching statistics and doing research (again, I was hopeful and optimistic haha), I would be in someway contributing to the country and be a law abiding resident, and one day be a Canadian citizen. I would often tell my parents "its not what Canada can do for me, it is what I can do for Canada" (I know I know.. cheesy).

Last week, In February 2024, I received an email from donotreply@cic stating there was a message waiting for me. I logged in and downloaded the letter. The letter explained that my application was cancelled, with this exact explanation -- The passport provided with your application is not acceptable. Please follow the link below for details: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/passport-travel- document.html

To say I was heartbroken is an understatement. I was in shock.. in disbelief. To have everything ready, to be eligible, to have the points for the STEM draw (general draw cutoff points are skyrocketing so I was beyond lucky and grateful), to have been able to score high in the IELTS.... to then have my application refused simply because of my nationality.
And that's fine. It is what it is; it is a rule. But I feel I should not have been able to get the personal reference code after I said I was Somali. The system should have told me I do not meet the eligibility requirement. In the application portal, I should have been told at the end that my score is 0 and I am ineligible. I should not have been given an ITA. The system should have been updated and remove Somalia in the dropdown options if they do not recognize or accept Somali passports.
Perhaps I should have read the website clearly.. Perhaps I should have done more due diligence in researching FSW-EE.

I don't know.. I .. am disappointed. It's life I suppose.

gdhawk

Feb 21, 2024
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
01-12-2023
Med's Request
15-01-2024
Med's Done....
22-01-2024
You could try for South American countries, their requirements may not be that harsh. Also, there is a reddit thread called Iwantout. You can try explaining your situation there and see if you get better options or advice