+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Out of status sponsorship

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
I'm submitting a request to extend my visa for 1 year in order to have time to apply for PR.
I already extended my stay twice for 6 months and we are now in a common law relationship.
If my extension gets denied will my parter still be able to sponsor me even if I'm out of status?
I have a visitor record that will expire at the end of April.

msb

Jan 7, 2011
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
07-12-2016
Doc's Request.
16-12-2016
AOR Received.
16-12-2016, AOR2 (RPRF req) 04/04/2017
File Transfer...
and SA on 21-12-2016
Med's Request
Was sent upfront
Med's Done....
22-10-2016 and passed, redone 16-11-2017
Interview........
26-10-2017 and approved for PR
Passport Req..
28-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
December 2017
LANDED..........
16-01-2018
I'm submitting a request to extend my visa for 1 year in order to have time to apply for PR.
I already extended my stay twice for 6 months and we are now in a common law relationship.
If my extension gets denied will my parter still be able to sponsor me even if I'm out of status?
I have a visitor record that will expire at the end of April.
Yes they still can

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
Yes they still can
Is there any risk I'll get deported while I'm gathering all the documents and apply for PR?

I read so many stories on this forum from people who successfully got their PR even though out of status.

Calm2019

Jan 31, 2019
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
November 2, 2018
Doc's Request.
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
November 22, 2018
Med's Request
January 21, 2019
Med's Done....
January 29, 2019
Yes there is a risk even you already submitted your application but you can talk to them (CBSA) face them and don’t hide or be frightened. They are just people who’s doing there job.

Reactions: msb

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
Is there any risk I'll get deported while I'm gathering all the documents and apply for PR?

I read so many stories on this forum from people who successfully got their PR even though out of status.
The quicker you can apply for PR the better. The risk of deportation is almost zero with a PR app in process even if your are caught by the CBSA, there is a higher risk of deportation if you are caught out of status and don’t have the PR app in process.

My wife was here for 2 years out of status before we finally got the PR app in, wouldn’t advise that as they are frightening times always fearing the phone ringing or knocks on the door, once we got the app in process we felt a bit more at ease. She is now a PR since last July, she was here about 3 years without status, never encountered the CBSA thankfully.

Reactions: msb

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
The quicker you can apply for PR the better. The risk of deportation is almost zero with a PR app in process even if your are caught by the CBSA, there is a higher risk of deportation if you are caught out of status and don’t have the PR app in process.

My wife was here for 2 years out of status before we finally got the PR app in, wouldn’t advise that as they are frightening times always fearing the phone ringing or knocks on the door, once we got the app in process we felt a bit more at ease. She is now a PR since last July, she was here about 3 years without status, never encountered the CBSA thankfully.
Did her visitor extension expired?
I submitted mine today, I asked for 1 year, that should be enough. If it's not I will ask for another one and since I send it via email I will have those 116 days while they make a decision. My goal is to submit my PR application before the next year.
I'm so glad to hear positive stories ☺

I heard that CBSA doesn't bother with people who are over staying their visa if there's no criminal record, I don't know if it's true but I hope so.

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
Did her visitor extension expired?
I submitted mine today, I asked for 1 year, that should be enough. If it's not I will ask for another one and since I send it via email I will have those 116 days while they make a decision. My goal is to submit my PR application before the next year.
I'm so glad to hear positive stories ☺

I heard that CBSA doesn't bother with people who are over staying their visa if there's no criminal record, I don't know if it's true but I hope so.
Was refused, we decided not to restore as were sure it would be turned down and possibly put her more onto CBSA radar.

She had been here nearly 3 years on valid visitor records. I personally think once you get to around 2.5 to 3 years on VR, that is where IRCC draw the line on extensions without a PR app in process by then, no proof on this other than I have read other people here reporting the refusals happening after that time frame.

I think you will be good to get another extension as you haven’t been here that long, and should have the PR and OWP in process so you will be fine, but don’t prolong putting in the PR app in, you will save a lot of worry down the line!

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
Was refused, we decided not to restore as were sure it would be turned down and possibly put her more onto CBSA radar.

She had been here nearly 3 years on valid visitor records. I personally think once you get to around 2.5 to 3 years on VR, that is where IRCC draw the line on extensions without a PR app in process by then, no proof on this other than I have read other people here reporting the refusals happening after that time frame.

I think you will be good to get another extension as you haven’t been here that long, and should have the PR and OWP in process so you will be fine, but don’t prolong putting in the PR app in, you will save a lot of worry down the line!
Thank you for the advice, I've been here since January 19 2019 and your words are pretty comforting ☺
The only thing that scares me is that in my past extension I marked my marital status as married instead of separated since I didn't know that Alberta considers a couple separated after 1 year spent apart. But I wrote a clarification letter explaining that I've been in a romantic relationship with my partner.
I figured it's better to be honest and explain everything.

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
Thank you for the advice, I've been here since January 19 2019 and your words are pretty comforting ☺
The only thing that scares me is that in my past extension I marked my marital status as married instead of separated since I didn't know that Alberta considers a couple separated after 1 year spent apart. But I wrote a clarification letter explaining that I've been in a romantic relationship with my partner.
I figured it's better to be honest and explain everything.
I guess you are still technically married though? so it’s not like you lied.

We basically overthink everything during this process, you are in a good position, you still have valid status and doing all the right things in a timely manner to keep your status and progress to becoming a PR.

AlexZ92

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
I guess you are still technically married though? so it’s not like you lied.

We basically overthink everything during this process, you are in a good position, you still have valid status and doing all the right things in a timely manner to keep your status and progress to becoming a PR.
Exactly yeah I wasn't sure but I clarified my situation so I should be fine.
CBSA has always been nice to me.
One time I returned to Italy and the called me on my phone to make sure I landed safe and sound ☺
The over thinking is real, I always do that.

msb

Jan 7, 2011
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
07-12-2016
Doc's Request.
16-12-2016
AOR Received.
16-12-2016, AOR2 (RPRF req) 04/04/2017
File Transfer...
and SA on 21-12-2016
Med's Request
Was sent upfront
Med's Done....
22-10-2016 and passed, redone 16-11-2017
Interview........
26-10-2017 and approved for PR
Passport Req..
28-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
December 2017
LANDED..........
16-01-2018

Much less risk of deportation if you have submitted a PR application

Processor01

Jul 28, 2019

Hi Oldmacwright,

Just stumbled on your post and I have a few questions for you if you don't mind - hoping you see this message.

Please, how did you explain your wive's out of status and what sort of documentation did you provide? Also, did you apply for an OWP alongside your PR application?