+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Out of Status in USA" can i immigrate to Canada or ????

make1903

Mar 28, 2008
Hi friends. i am in the states for a five years. in which last two i am out of status. but i got married six months back and have a work permit now. BUT>>
i will divorse now before to granted a green card. and after my work autorisation expire ill be illigal.
so somebody told me that i can do something with Canada???
anyone from here can help????
please ask me somthing if its not clear.
please help. i need it now. thanks friends...
Cao for now

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

make1903 said:
Hi friends. i am in the states for a five years. in which last two i am out of status. but i got married six months back and have a work permit now. BUT>>
i will divorse now before to granted a green card. and after my work autorisation expire ill be illigal.
so somebody told me that i can do something with Canada???
anyone from here can help????
please ask me somthing if its not clear.
please help. i need it now. thanks friends...
Cao for now
If you were admitted to the US originally for 1 year, then you can apply to Buffalo for PR. But since the application takes 16-24 months, the US would probably remove you before you got your PR status for Canada. Did you take the assessment at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp to see if you qualify?

PMM

Suave

Mar 24, 2008
im in a similar status as you, I still have about 9 months left on my work permit in the US and because i am worn out of the US immigration system i have decided to go north, you dont mention if you have a degree or not but if you do look into the Skilled worker PR, I understand Canada does not care if you are illegal in the US, but you MUST BE LEGAL at the time you apply, at least if you do it in buffalo, IT is possible that my application, which i submited recently wont finalize until after my status expires, ill probably just end up out of status for a couple of months in the US at a time where canada wont care anymore.

but in essence whats important is that you apply BEFORE you are out of status in the US

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

make1903 said:
What do you mean by originaly admited.????
When you first entered the US, were you given 1 years status? If you were only give 6 months, 9 months, 3 months, then can't apply in the US>

PMM

make1903

Mar 28, 2008
i entered in usa on j1 visa for 6 months after that i extended 3 times for another 6 months each on tourist visa and after that was out of status since. so what can i do now?
please help?????

Suave

Mar 24, 2008
tourist visa does not count, your J1 most be valid today for more than a year, you will need to apply in your country of origin