+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Out of status application. New thread for those feeling lost.

canamconnect

Star Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So happy to see this thread!! My hubby and I are likely the worst on here at this point. I will not bore you with the seemingly endless issues that have plagued us over the years (most financial but some not) but My Hubby is out of status 9 years this year.
We are applying for Inland PR this year (OMG I am excited but want to vomit from fear at the same time!) and I have a friend that went through this too. Here is what I know based on her situation:
He was out of status and did not apply for restoration of status (beyond the 90 days so could not) but he did apply for TRV (Temporary resident visa) and OWP when they submitted his PR application. It worked he received his TRV & OWP in less than 6 months.
I have been told by multiple sources this is what we must do, so we will.
I am just scared to death as he has been here out of status sooooo long and it feels like if I tell them all the issues and roadblocks that we encountered every single year it will just sound like we are spinning them a sob story.
Our main issues we are facing are:
-Hubby was convicted of a DWI he received in 2008 in the U.S. (stupid mistake and only issue on his Criminal record) so he is just shy of being deemed rehabilitated.
-Hubby is 12 years younger than me
-We have very limited finances

We are trying to ensure we fill out all the paper work correctly and fill in all the forms required but not to fill in anything that is not required as it seems every form has a price tag!
$255 OWP
$200 TRV
Then the initial app fees.
And before all that we have to renew his passport (which we can do by mail thank goodness!) and get a police check (I believe that has to be sent in with the initial app now?)

Sorry for the ramble this has been such a ridiculous ongoing saga I literally feel my brain run away screaming when I think of all we have to do in order to get the PR.
Together since Aug 2009, Marries Sept 2011.
Cheers!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So happy to see this thread!! My hubby and I are likely the worst on here at this point. I will not bore you with the seemingly endless issues that have plagued us over the years (most financial but some not) but My Hubby is out of status 9 years this year.
We are applying for Inland PR this year (OMG I am excited but want to vomit from fear at the same time!) and I have a friend that went through this too. Here is what I know based on her situation:
He was out of status and did not apply for restoration of status (beyond the 90 days so could not) but he did apply for TRV (Temporary resident visa) and OWP when they submitted his PR application. It worked he received his TRV & OWP in less than 6 months.
I have been told by multiple sources this is what we must do, so we will.
I am just scared to death as he has been here out of status sooooo long and it feels like if I tell them all the issues and roadblocks that we encountered every single year it will just sound like we are spinning them a sob story.
Our main issues we are facing are:
-Hubby was convicted of a DWI he received in 2008 in the U.S. (stupid mistake and only issue on his Criminal record) so he is just shy of being deemed rehabilitated.
-Hubby is 12 years younger than me
-We have very limited finances

We are trying to ensure we fill out all the paper work correctly and fill in all the forms required but not to fill in anything that is not required as it seems every form has a price tag!
$255 OWP
$200 TRV
Then the initial app fees.
And before all that we have to renew his passport (which we can do by mail thank goodness!) and get a police check (I believe that has to be sent in with the initial app now?)

Sorry for the ramble this has been such a ridiculous ongoing saga I literally feel my brain run away screaming when I think of all we have to do in order to get the PR.
Together since Aug 2009, Marries Sept 2011.
Cheers!
Don't expect OWP approval in 6 months. It isn't approved until after AIP, which I believe takes longer than 6 months right now.

There is zero point in applying for a TRV. With a 9 year overstay, it will not be approved and he should NOT LEAVE Canada before he is a PR.

canamconnect

Star Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't expect OWP approval in 6 months. It isn't approved until after AIP, which I believe takes longer than 6 months right now.

There is zero point in applying for a TRV. With a 9 year overstay, it will not be approved and he should NOT LEAVE Canada before he is a PR.
Good to know on the OWP but on the TRV we HAVE to apply for that.
You do not get implied status with your PR application if you are out of status. My friend's Hubby was 7 years overstay and he was told by immigration to get a TRV. And nope you are right...no leaving Canada lol.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Good to know on the OWP but on the TRV we HAVE to apply for that.
You do not get implied status with your PR application if you are out of status. My friend's Hubby was 7 years overstay and he was told by immigration to get a TRV. And nope you are right...no leaving Canada lol.
You have been provided with completely wrong information. A TRV is a stamp in a passport that allows a person to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. It has NOTHING to do with status in Canada. Again, do not apply for a TRV.

canamconnect

Star Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have been provided with completely wrong information. A TRV is a stamp in a passport that allows a person to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. It has NOTHING to do with status in Canada. Again, do not apply for a TRV.
Weird. My friend and her hubby were told to do it and he got one approved for 2 years which allowed time to process his app. We will apply without one and just send in the OWP and App and see how it goes :)
Thanks so much :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Weird. My friend and her hubby were told to do it and he got one approved for 2 years which allowed time to process his app. We will apply without one and just send in the OWP and App and see how it goes :)
Thanks so much :)
I believe there is some sort of misunderstanding on your friend's part about what they have explained to you. A TRV is not needed when in Canada and has zero effect on being able to process a PR app.

canamconnect

Star Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No...I have just realized I am an idiot and was referring to the wrong thing. It should have said a TRP (Temporary resident permit)...not a TRV. Gah it's Monday lol.

i_adrianes

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
can anyone help me about restoration of status? i have 90 days to restore my status and we are planning to send a restoration app together with the spousal sponsorship. is it okay if we send it together with owp and spousal sponsorship? what documents can you recommend we include in the restoration app? anyone please?

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
You need to do the restoration app separately. It can be done online.

On the online app it tells you everything you need to submit. Its straight forward.

I have gone through it and successfully restored my status last year.

Why do you need to restore..lapse or refusal?

i_adrianes

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
You need to send the restoration app separately.

Document wise you can do it online and it tells you everything you need to submit. Its straight forward.

I have gone through it and successfully restored my status last year.

Why do you need to restore..lapse or refusal?

lapse. we were gunning to send the spousal sponsorship with owp before my status expired but could not complete the documents in time. im filling out the application as we speak and is kinda lost.

what documents did you send together with your restoration?

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
lapse. we were gunning to send the spousal sponsorship with owp before my status expired but could not complete the documents in time. im filling out the application as we speak and is kinda lost.

what documents did you send together with your restoration?
I submitted the required form(s). You can find them on the CIC website.

Then additionally i included the payment receipt for my PR app and the signed for delivery proof to prove i had actually paid my fees and submitted it.

I also included a letter from my partner stating that he was willing and able to financially support me while i stayed in canada awaiting the PR decision. I also included an explanation letter explaining the reasons for the circumstance i was in.

i_adrianes

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
thank you so much for this information. how long did you put in "indicate how long you plan to stay in canada"? is it okay to put in one year? did you also submit a copy of marriage certificate instead of common law declaration?

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
thank you so much for this information. how long did you put in "indicate how long you plan to stay in canada"? is it okay to put in one year? did you also submit a copy of marriage certificate instead of common law declaration?
I am not married. And no declaration. I think i asked for a year and got 6 months. No harm "asking" for the year.