+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OSAP and Expired SIN

Sphinx13

Mar 15, 2020
*** Posting for a Friend ***

I'm a convention refugee enrolled in a College in Ontario and paying domestic fee. My temporary SIN has expired, and I can't renew it until my work permit is processed. However, my work permit application is still in progress, which can take a couple of months.
The Financial office of my College says they can't issue me OSAP without a valid SIN, but immigration says my SIN is valid as I have "Implied Status" since my work permit application is still in progress. I still haven't received my PR, as it's going to take a couple of months, so I can't get a permanent SIN. I filed my taxes this year as well as for the last 3 years.
I don't understand what I can do in this situation, as both these departments are giving me the run-around. Not only that, but I'm already in debt after paying international fees for the first 2 semesters. Does anybody have any advice ?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

I'm a convention refugee enrolled in a College in Ontario and paying domestic fee. My temporary SIN has expired, and I can't renew it until my work permit is processed. However, my work permit application is still in progress, which can take a couple of months.
The Financial office of my College says they can't issue me OSAP without a valid SIN, but immigration says my SIN is valid as I have "Implied Status" since my work permit application is still in progress. I still haven't received my PR, as it's going to take a couple of months, so I can't get a permanent SIN. I filed my taxes this year as well as for the last 3 years.
I don't understand what I can do in this situation, as both these departments are giving me the run-around. Not only that, but I'm already in debt after paying international fees for the first 2 semesters. Does anybody have any advice ?
Write official reply quote section of the law that gives implied status to ongoing application and attach AOR.Some offices, are not up to date with changes in immigration regulations

Reactions: Sphinx13

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Financial services at schools aren’t knowledgeable about immigration so they have a list of certain requirements that must be filled to qualify. Impossible to say whether they will be able to to do anything without proof that you have a valid SIN#, that you have proof of being accepted as a protected person (your NOD) if the school allows access to domestic tuition for protected people not just PRs and citizens, etc. If service Canada is willing to supply a letter indicating that your SIN# is still valid that may be an option but whether they will be willing to do so is unclear. Otherwise hope that you get your WP before September is probably your only option.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Write official reply quote section of the law that gives implied status to ongoing application and attach AOR.Some offices, are not up to date with changes in immigration regulations
Most offices and OSAP aren’t usually aware of immigration policies and have a list of required documents that must be supplied.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Most offices and OSAP aren’t usually aware of immigration policies and have a list of required documents that must be supplied.
I agree. Applicant needs to make them aware, that legally his SIN has been extended in lieu of his pending application. I advised someone the same, they wanted to let her go because they realised her SIN is expired. She wrote letter citing sections of the law and they back down. HR verbally apologized.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I agree. Applicant needs to make them aware, that legally his SIN has been extended in lieu of his pending application. I advised someone the same, they wanted to let her go because they realised her SIN is expired. She wrote letter citing sections of the law and they back down. HR verbally apologized.
Just explaining is likely not enough because financial offices will need proof. They can’t depend on the word of the applicant to differ from normal policy. Would either collect written information proving that your SIN will remain valid even if it appears expired or try to get a letter from service Canada or IRCC explaining that your SIN remains valid

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Just explaining is likely not enough because financial offices will need proof. They can’t depend on the word of the applicant to differ from normal policy. Would either collect written information proving that your SIN will remain valid even if it appears expired or try to get a letter from service Canada or IRCC explaining that your SIN remains valid
Service Canada will not issue that letter, so explanation letter can capture their attention. You cant rule out any possibility

HumanityFirst786

Star Member
Nov 3, 2023
Hey guys
I have the same issue, @Sphinx13 any update in how did you solved this? Thank you.
I had the same issue, and luckily admitted to school 1 day before first class in September, as I applied for study permit which came within 2 weeks. I showed study permit to the Service Canada, they made SIN and then I went to college to my financial aid officer, I showed her SIN number, she said it will take some time to update OSAP information, but you have to deposit $100 as security to the college , so after a month they got funding directly from OSAP.

Reactions: Ahmad Ghazaleh

HumanityFirst786

Star Member
Nov 3, 2023
Service Canada will not issue that letter, so explanation letter can capture their attention. You cant rule out any possibility
That is true, they need Immigration document proof: Work permit, Study Permit or PR. I literally begged them and went again and again to Service Canada, applied online, because I wanted to make some beginner agent an error and give me SIN, but no luck on that instead I got study permit super fast.