+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Originals or copies of "change of name", birth, and marriage certificates

bluesea423

May 29, 2010
Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen and I'll apply to sponsor my wife.

1- I have changed my first name in Canada and I have a change of name certificate from Ontario. I did not change my original name in my home country, so my first name in my canadian documents is different from those of my home country. Should I send with all other papers my original "change of name" certificate or a copy of it is good enough?

2- I also would be grateful if someone tells me whether my wife should send her original translated birth certificate, our original translated marriage certificate or a copy of both? this is not clear in the document checklist, what is clear is that she can send a copy of her passport.

Thanks

I

iarblue

notorized copies,only police,fbi,and medicals must be original.You can send copies of your marriage cert,and birth cert get them notorized as some visa offices do not send back originals.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
bluesea423 said:
1- I have changed my first name in Canada and I have a change of name certificate from Ontario. I did not change my original name in my home country, so my first name in my canadian documents is different from those of my home country. Should I send with all other papers my original "change of name" certificate or a copy of it is good enough?
Send a copy of it.
2- I also would be grateful if someone tells me whether my wife should send her original translated birth certificate, our original translated marriage certificate or a copy of both? this is not clear in the document checklist, what is clear is that she can send a copy of her passport.
Send copies. If they want the originals, they can ask for them later or ask your wife to bring them to the interview.
The process can take a long time, so you may need the originals in the meantime for something else, plus the visa office should send originals back, but I wouldn't count on it.