+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Origin Passport

Faisalkhan555

Apr 14, 2020
Is there any way to use our origin passport as there are some countries that don't accept RTD everyone has different opinion, some will come up and say that we can use it and some says no i have couple of friends they have called IRCC and they told them once you are PR you can use it some asked CBSA when getting their passports back they said you can use it but don't use it to to travel back to your country while some Officers came up to not use it.Not sure what exactly is going on and how to confirm it please help

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It can ultimately lead to a risk of cessation of your refugee status (usually at the most inconvenient time, like during a citizenship application). That doesn’t necessarily mean it will. There are risks associated with using a home country passport, not just with cessation, but with consular services if you find yourself in trouble out of country. You are essentially travelling under the protection of your home country, the same one you sought protection from. Doesn’t necessarily bode well for the passport holder.

https://irb.gc.ca/en/legal-policy/legal-concepts/Pages/RefDef12.aspx

Reactions: Faisalkhan555

Faisalkhan555

Apr 14, 2020
It can ultimately lead to a risk of cessation of your refugee status (usually at the most inconvenient time, like during a citizenship application). That doesn’t necessarily mean it will. There are risks associated with using a home country passport, not just with cessation, but with consular services if you find yourself in trouble out of country. You are essentially travelling under the protection of your home country, the same one you sought protection from. Doesn’t necessarily bode well for the passport holder.

https://irb.gc.ca/en/legal-policy/legal-concepts/Pages/RefDef12.aspx
Thanks it helped, do you know if there are any consequences to get our passports back?

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
Is there any way to use our origin passport as there are some countries that don't accept RTD everyone has different opinion, some will come up and say that we can use it and some says no i have couple of friends they have called IRCC and they told them once you are PR you can use it some asked CBSA when getting their passports back they said you can use it but don't use it to to travel back to your country while some Officers came up to not use it.Not sure what exactly is going on and how to confirm it please help
After my positive decision from IRB, I received a harsh warning from IRCC about this matter not to ask for, renew or use my passport in anyway, shape, form or fashion.

Refugee protection is based on the assumption that a refugee cannot depend on the protection of their home country. Under international law, a refugee loses their protection when they go back to relying on that country’s protection. When a refugee relies on their home country’s protection, it is called “reavailment”.

The following behaviours are presumed to count as reavailment:

1. Renewing a passport from your home country
  2. Using a passport from your home country to travel to another country
  3. Entering your home country
Renewal, use and traveling with your homecountry passport is a sign of reavailment and may cause loss of your refugee status and I have seen a case that was removed from Canada because of reavailment.
Source: I work at a law office and I am a convention refugee myself.

Faisalkhan555

Apr 14, 2020
After my positive decision from IRB, I received a harsh warning from IRCC about this matter not to ask for, renew or use my passport in anyway, shape, form or fashion.

Refugee protection is based on the assumption that a refugee cannot depend on the protection of their home country. Under international law, a refugee loses their protection when they go back to relying on that country’s protection. When a refugee relies on their home country’s protection, it is called “reavailment”.

Renewal, use and traveling with your homecountry passport is a sign of reavailment and may cause loss of your refugee status and I have seen a case that was removed from Canada because of reavailment.
Thank You so much for your detailed response.

zak86

Nov 13, 2019

first, I didn't agree with your points but when I read it in detail i agree you are right on most of the things better be safe and don't take risks which can hurt you badly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Faisalkhan555

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
first, I didn't agree with your points but when I read it in detail i agree you are right on most of the things better be safe and don't take risks which can hurt you badly.
The whole point of retrieving your original passport is if your COO allows Dual Citizenship once you become Canadian Citizen you can use it to save on Visa cost and or delay at the Immigration point. Other reason is when you retire, while they compute your pension they will want to see proof of original entry to Canada, Passport stamp is one of them. One thing to note, laws does not allow revoking citizenship if after the process you'll remain stateless. Good example is Chinese national will automatically lose citizenship after acquiring another citizenship, same apply to my country. So in my case, provided i dont have to pay for storage fee, let my passport stay at Mississauga storage facility for LIFE or until they allow Dual Citizenship.

Reactions: Shenick77

Jakiewuyi

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022

Thanks for stating this clearly. I have had this conversations with people and they all think I’m the weird one. It’s best to get your citizenship before you travel to your country of birth.

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
Thanks for stating this clearly. I have had this conversations with people and they all think I’m the weird one. It’s best to get your citizenship before you travel to your country of birth.
No truthful refugee returns to their home country even after citizenship!!! The only reason for someone to be back in their home country is that the danger is over by the time they become Canadian citizens which in 99.99% of cases the danger remains intact. So those who return even after citizenship were "most likely" untruthful about their claims which is extremely unfair to those who are GENUINE refugees!

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
No truthful refugee returns to their home country even after citizenship!!! The only reason for someone to be back in their home country is that the danger is over by the time they become Canadian citizens which in 99.99% of cases the danger remains intact. So those who return even after citizenship were "most likely" untruthful about their claims which is extremely unfair to those who are GENUINE refugees!
I agree with this except I dont want to generalize it.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
That is why I left 0.01 per cent as an exception!
You are right. Im coming from Charter of Rights and Freedom. IRCC cannot continue to impose conditions as soon as you become a citizen. Secondly, you are entitled to Consular Service from Canadian Mission abroad. Third, some countries have time bar in their prosecutorial procedures, If it takes 7years to become a citizen, there are time limit in some countries to continue to pursue you, unless you are Bin Laden. Lastly, not all Asylum cases are because Government is agent of fear, but Government failed to provide protection.
But your point still hold water in that 0.01 per cent.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
IRCC cannot continue to impose conditions as soon as you become a citizen. Secondly, you are entitled to Consular Service from Canadian Mission abroad.
A warning to be very careful about this: if you have trouble in a country where you are (considered to be) a citizen, there is very, very little that Canada can do to assist, even if you hold a Canadian passport. (I believe this warning is quite explicit from Global Affairs but too lazy to look it up right now).

Note this is true even if you think you gave up that other citizenship, and even if you entered on a Canadian passport - if that country believes/decides you are a citizen, the Vienna conventions on consular assistance don't apply. Being 'entitled' to consular service is irrelevant in this case - there's nothing Canada can do.

(I underline I'm making this point regardless of the issue of using that country's passport and its impact on status in Canada, the original discussion in this thread etc).

This is in addition to the general warning that "Consular Service" is not magic and there is often very little that the Canadian government can do anyway if you should have some trouble while abroad. But if you're a citizen of the country where something occurs, the host country has essentially zero responsibility to let Canadian officials provide consular support.

Canada can't stop you or impose conditions - that doesn't mean it's a good idea or that they can bail you out if you have problems.

I'm referring to cases where the individual is already a Canadian citizen - obviously even less possibility of support where the individual is a PR or refugee in Canada.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
A warning to be very careful about this: if you have trouble in a country where you are (considered to be) a citizen, there is very, very little that Canada can do to assist, even if you hold a Canadian passport. (I believe this warning is quite explicit from Global Affairs but too lazy to look it up right now).

Note this is true even if you think you gave up that other citizenship, and even if you entered on a Canadian passport - if that country believes/decides you are a citizen, the Vienna conventions on consular assistance don't apply. Being 'entitled' to consular service is irrelevant in this case - there's nothing Canada can do.

(I underline I'm making this point regardless of the issue of using that country's passport and its impact on status in Canada, the original discussion in this thread etc).

This is in addition to the general warning that "Consular Service" is not magic and there is often very little that the Canadian government can do anyway if you should have some trouble while abroad. But if you're a citizen of the country where something occurs, the host country has essentially zero responsibility to let Canadian officials provide consular support.

Canada can't stop you or impose conditions - that doesn't mean it's a good idea or that they can bail you out if you have problems.

I'm referring to cases where the individual is already a Canadian citizen - obviously even less possibility of support where the individual is a PR or refugee in Canada.
Thanks, I respect your opinion.

Reactions: armoured