+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Option C

furry

Aug 20, 2010
Hello,

My wife and I got married recently, she is canadian and she is looking to sponsor me. We have been living together in my country for the past 11 month and now she got back home.

Since she just got there she is still looking for a job, and when she was in my country she didnt work here due to language bariers so she didnt have an income. Could she submit the application and be approved as sponsor if she found a job now?

And if she submits it before she gets a job, would it be possible to have a member of her family state that he will undertake us if needed?

My wife did not do her taxes :S will she be able to still get her option C? but according to her the ammount she was getting from her pay check she would get return taxes and not owe money.

Thanks
F.

Thanks
F.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your wife had been a non-resident for tax purposes, she won't have the option C printout for the past 11 months. Besides, spousal sponsorship have no income requirement.

waitingintz

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2010
Doc's Request.
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
24-08-2010
Med's Done....
22-06-2010
Interview........
waived!!
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
19-5-2011 (hopefully!)
Definitely not an expert on this stuff but it seems to me that as 11 months wouldn't include all of the last tax year, she WOULD be required to submit an Option C. If money isn't owed, it may not be an issue that taxes weren't filed. Also if there is no outstanding taxes owed then I believe there is no penalty for filing your taxes late so she could easily file now (and probably should if she's due a return!).

Spouses aren't required to meet the minimum income requirement from the past 12 months but they are still required to submit the documentation (Option C). A simple letter explaining that she was not working while out of country should be sufficient explanation as to the lack of income.

I would be inclined to get the Option C and and include it anyway because if no money is outstanding it shouldn't really be an issue and they'll likely just return your application otherwise.

odethe

Jul 8, 2010
Turkey
Category........
Visa Office......
Turkey - Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
06-03-2010
Ok, me and my husband we had the same problem. He is canadian and has not declared any tax until he started working. He was self employed before. We spoke with his accountant and he told us that if he owes any tax, sponsorhip will not be approved. So he suggested us to clear out the tax issue and then apply for spousal immigration. We are on that way right now.

You still need to get that Option C and find out if she owes anything.

Hope this helps

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Odethe was your husband self employed while working in Canada?

odethe

Jul 8, 2010
Turkey
Category........
Visa Office......
Turkey - Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
06-03-2010
yes he was like a technician and working from home. He never declared tax for some years but then he started working for a company in April.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Unfortunately you have to file your taxes yourself even in the absense of a t4 from an employer. As a self-employed person you're still recieving money for a service rendered.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
furry said:
Since she just got there she is still looking for a job, and when she was in my country she didnt work here due to language bariers so she didnt have an income. Could she submit the application and be approved as sponsor if she found a job now?
Yes, she can be approved as a sponsor. She doesn't need a job or any income to be approved.
And if she submits it before she gets a job, would it be possible to have a member of her family state that he will undertake us if needed?
For spousal sponsorships, you cannot use a cosigner. But she can get this kind of letter anyway, because it is good proof that her family supports the marriage. As well, even though you don't 100% need an income to sponsor, the visa officer stills wants to see how you will support yourselves once you get to Canada. So a letter from a family member promising to help you out when you first get to Canada is good.
My wife did not do her taxes :S will she be able to still get her option C? but according to her the ammount she was getting from her pay check she would get return taxes and not owe money.
She can only get the Option C for this year if she files her taxes, She should file her taxes in her case; there will be no penalty for filing late since the government owes her money.

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
odethe said:
Ok, me and my husband we had the same problem. He is canadian and has not declared any tax until he started working. He was self employed before. We spoke with his accountant and he told us that if he owes any tax, sponsorhip will not be approved. So he suggested us to clear out the tax issue and then apply for spousal immigration. We are on that way right now.

Hope this helps
i just wanted to mention that i am self-employed and owe taxes and i was approved as a sponsor.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
odethe said:

Hope this helps
Your accountant was wrong. Owing money to CRA has no impact on whether or not you can sponsor your spouse/partner. The only two financial concerns preventing sponsorship as written in the Act are receiving social assistance other than disability (welfare) and having an undischarged bankruptcy. Sorry that you received bad info.

gillespiedc

Star Member
May 22, 2010
Zhuhai, China
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
One fact I was given by Revenue Canada is that if a T4 is not submitted by an employer for you then the government is not looking for a tax return from you. No T4, no return.

I have been out of the country for over 4 years and have had no income in Canada and nothing to claim from outside of Canada. Although I did not include an option C in my sponsor application, I was wondering if they might need it from 5 years ago... guess I will find out soon.

Tallen

Star Member
May 7, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/05/2010
AOR Received.
14/06/2010
File Transfer...
29/06/2010
Med's Done....
12/04/2010
Passport Req..
26/01/2011
VISA ISSUED...
27/01/2011
LANDED..........
29/11/2011
In November of 2009 I went to Rev Can and they printed my Option C while I waited for 2008. Well we did not file till 2010 so a few days before leaving to visit her to bring all our paperwork to finish with her, I went into Rev Can to get my 2009 Option C and they said Oh you have to make an appointment now and we will get it for you in a week lol .. So I ended up sending in my actual Notice Of Assessment for 2009. (as that is all a Option C printout is anyways) They returned my original with my letter of Approval of Sponsorship.

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
Hi everyone!

I have a question about Option C - my husband requested his not many days ago, it's from 2009, and it says Marital status: Single.
Is this going to be a problem if we just send it like that? We don't know if it's fixable because we were not married in 2009.. does this make sense?

Thanks for your replies!

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Bonbon if you weren't married in 2009 then you actually were still considered single so what it says is correct. Mine actually says divorced even though I should have filed as common law. I was just absent minded and filed the same way I have for the past 10 years without thinking. I the purpose of the option C is to see if you have been on welfare, bankrupt ect.

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
kelKel said:
Bonbon if you weren't married in 2009 then you actually were still considered single so what it says is correct. Mine actually says divorced even though I should have filed as common law. I was just absent minded and filed the same way I have for the past 10 years without thinking. I the purpose of the option C is to see if you have been on welfare, bankrupt ect.
Hi kerkel!

Thanks for your reply! Then it looks like it's correct and we'll just send this one :) we will probably have to let Revenue know that we're married so they change it for this year, in case my husband needs his Option C next year.