+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit in Quebec while being sponsored

Rober84m

Jan 30, 2018
I am sponsoring my wife in Quebec and we are planning to send the sponsorship and OWP application together in one envelope. She was a student before, but now she has a visitor`s status in order to stay in the country. Is she eligible to get a open work permit or she needs a CAQ and a job offer in Quebec?

Thank you

Reactions: chelsea9876

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
I am sponsoring my wife in Quebec and we are planning to send the sponsorship and OWP application together in one envelope. She was a student before, but now she has a visitor`s status in order to stay in the country. Is she eligible to get a open work permit or she needs a CAQ and a job offer in Quebec?

Thank you
If she is not out of status, she is eligible for the OWP. Send it with the sponsorship application. No CAQ or CSQ needed for that OWP. The CSQ will be needed later in the sponsorship application processing. No job offer needed neither, it's fully open, she can work wherever she wants with the work permit. Also, applying for the OWP will keep her in status (not the sponsorship application itself). It used to take about 4 months to receive the OWP, I don't know it it's faster nowadays.

Reactions: Rober84m

Rober84m

Jan 30, 2018
Thank you for the advice. Also the OWP application does not give us the option for picking the supouse of PR holder. All the options are mentioning the supouse of temporary work permit holder. I am guessing we will skip them all. I did not see any other option for our situation.

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
Thank you for the advice. Also the OWP application does not give us the option for picking the supouse of PR holder. All the options are mentioning the supouse of temporary work permit holder. I am guessing we will skip them all. I did not see any other option for our situation.
I never had to do it for my wife, because she was on a study permit for the whole PR processing time. But check here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/spousal-permit-extended.html
You have to apply on paper for the OWP and include the OWP application in the same envelope as the sponsorship application.

Also, another option for your wife is to apply for the Post-graduation work permit (PGWP). see here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation.html

However, I believe the OWP is better, because the PGWP have some time limitation according to the duration of the study program that was completed.

Rober84m

Jan 30, 2018
I never had to do it for my wife, because she was on a study permit for the whole PR processing time. But check here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/spousal-permit-extended.html
You have to apply on paper for the OWP and include the OWP application in the same envelope as the sponsorship application.

Also, another option for your wife is to apply for the Post-graduation work permit (PGWP). see here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation.html

However, I believe the OWP is better, because the PGWP have some time limitation according to the duration of the study program that was completed.
That's great, thanks for the info. BTW since we are submitting both applications in one envelope do we have to submit two copies of each ? Such as copies of her passport (one for the OWP application and the other one for sponsorship). It is common sense though, submiting individual copies sine they are different applications even though some documents are same for both applications.

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
That's great, thanks for the info. BTW since we are submitting both applications in one envelope do we have to submit two copies of each ? Such as copies of her passport (one for the OWP application and the other one for sponsorship). It is common sense though, submiting individual copies sine they are different applications even though some documents are same for both applications.
yes I think it's better to have copies for each application even if it is sent in the same envelope.

Rober84m

Jan 30, 2018
So, we sent the applications few days ago. We only paid $100 for open work holder fee as it is requested on the checklist. We later on realized we need to pay another $155 for work permit. Will they ask us this money later on in a few months? Some other people paid this fee up front being $255 in total. I wonder why there are additional fees, because when i applied for mine in 2013 it used to be only $150 and I received it within a month?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So, we sent the applications few days ago. We only paid $100 for open work holder fee as it is requested on the checklist. We later on realized we need to pay another $155 for work permit. Will they ask us this money later on in a few months? Some other people paid this fee up front being $255 in total. I wonder why there are additional fees, because when i applied for mine in 2013 it used to be only $150 and I received it within a month?
It is possible that they will request it or you can try paying it now and uploading the receipt but most likely, the OWP app will be returned.

What is your current status and when does it expire?

Rober84m

Jan 30, 2018
I am sponsoring my wife and we had to do paper based
It is possible that they will request it or you can try paying it now and uploading the receipt but most likely, the OWP app will be returned.

What is your current status and when does it expire?
My wife's status is visitor and expires in September; I am sponsoring her. We had to send both documents to CPC-Mississauga by mail. We made the payments online and printed the documents. We cannot upload anything. Checklist clearly mentions to pay the OWP holder fee ,but nothing else. Perhaps once she gets the approval they will ask us to pay and mail the payment document. I do not know if they can let us open an online profile for her and merge her documents that we sent eventually?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am sponsoring my wife and we had to do paper based

My wife's status is visitor and expires in September; I am sponsoring her. We had to send both documents to CPC-Mississauga by mail. We made the payments online and printed the documents. We cannot upload anything. Checklist clearly mentions to pay the OWP holder fee ,but nothing else. Perhaps once she gets the approval they will ask us to pay and mail the payment document. I do not know if they can let us open an online profile for her and merge her documents that we sent eventually?
You can upload it by Webform but again, no guarantee that it will be attached to the app.

What approval? The OWP app can't be approved without full payment.

Reactions: Rober84m

Rober84m

Jan 30, 2018
It has been more than 2 weeks since we sent the papers and have not heard anything back from Mississauga even though express post says it's delivered.
My question is: My wife's visitor status is going to expire in this September and we have already sent her documents for open work permit along with the PR application . The CIC website says she has to have a valid status in Canada even after applying for OWP. Does that mean we now have to apply for another visitor extension permit until she receives her open work permit or we are good for now and she will have implied status until then, because of applying for OWP?

Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It has been more than 2 weeks since we sent the papers and have not heard anything back from Mississauga even though express post says it's delivered.
My question is: My wife's visitor status is going to expire in this September and we have already sent her documents for open work permit along with the PR application . The CIC website says she has to have a valid status in Canada even after applying for OWP. Does that mean we now have to apply for another visitor extension permit until she receives her open work permit or we are good for now and she will have implied status until then, because of applying for OWP?

Thank you.
Given that the OWP app is likely to be returned, she should apply for a visitor extension a few weeks before her current status expires.

Jan 9, 2019
Hi Robert,

Can you please give an update here with your experience so far? I will be applying for spousal sponsorship in July and my current working visa expires in June. I will be switching to a visitor visa and then applying for an OWP with my application. Were you able to successfully apply for the OWP from Quebec? No need for a CAQ or anything for your wife to start working again?

Jshree999

Jan 28, 2019
Hello.
I am from India having a Visitor Visa. I am visiting my husband in Quebec who is a holder of PR status. Now I want to migrate here. Please suggest me ways to work here and to get PR ultimately. I am confused where to start. Will I get some benefits as a spouse of a PR holder ? Please help !