+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit for spouse who already studied in Canada and obtained 1yr PGWP possible ?

Kenmartey

May 23, 2023
Hello, I studied a 1 yr program and got my PGWP for 1 year and it's about to expire next month. I recently got married as well and my wife is about to graduate from a master's program in August, which means she will be applying for PGWP after. Will I be eligible for Open work permit once she applies for PGWP and adds me as the spouse? Note: it's a genuine marriage, we have been together for about 5 yrs but finally settled.
Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I studied a 1 yr program and got my PGWP for 1 year and it's about to expire next month. I recently got married as well and my wife is about to graduate from a master's program in August, which means she will be applying for PGWP after. Will I be eligible for Open work permit once she applies for PGWP and adds me as the spouse? Note: it's a genuine marriage, we have been together for about 5 yrs but finally settled.
Thanks.
As long as she is employed and has 3 pay stubs you can qualify for SOWP. Have you both been living in Canada? Together? Proof of dating may be required because there can be concern about new spouses being married to secure WP only.

Kenmartey

May 23, 2023
Yes, we both live in Canada but in different provinces as she is schooling in Saskatchewan and I live in Toronto due to my work. Yes, we have proof of dating since 2017. What type of documents will be required as proof of dating if I may ask? For pictures of cos, we do have.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, we both live in Canada but in different provinces as she is schooling in Saskatchewan and I live in Toronto due to my work. Yes, we have proof of dating since 2017. What type of documents will be required as proof of dating if I may ask? For pictures of cos, we do have.
Have you ever lived in the same province? How many times a year do you visit each other? When did you get married? When did you become common law? Did she ever get an SOWP based on your studies or PGWP?