+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit for Dependant of In Canada PR

POLICAP

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
Hi All Experienced Members,

Please I need your help, Which Application for should I fill for my wife Dependent, who is in Canada for Work Permit.

My wife's application for PR is in progress though we had first stage about a year ago. CIC claimed to be doing background checks for almost a year now. Her Daughter in High School is now 17yrs old. She needs a work permit. Her mother has a work permit right now.
Please would you let me know which form I should complete for her for this process? I have tried CIC Website I don't know which form is applicable. Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

POLICAP

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

POLICAP said:
Hi All Experienced Members,

Please I need your help, Which Application for should I fill for my wife Dependent, who is in Canada for Work Permit.

My wife's application for PR is in progress though we had first stage about a year ago. CIC claimed to be doing background checks for almost a year now. Her Daughter in High School is now 17yrs old. She needs a work permit. Her mother has a work permit right now.
Please would you let me know which form I should complete for her for this process? I have tried CIC Website I don't know which form is applicable. Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

POLICAP
Dependent children of spousal applicants in Canada are not eligible for work permits without an approved LMO.

POLICAP

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
But we applied for her older brother together with my wife and they were approved, why not eligible since the PR is in process. She is in grade 11 in Canada. She has to work during the summer like others. She should not be treated as a professional

POLICAP

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
PPM: Below is the information I got from CIC:

Generally, Work Permits are job specific. If you want to apply for a work permit, you need:

a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from Human Resources and Social Development Canada; and
a job offer from a specific employer.

In some cases, work permits are not job specific, so no job offer or LMO is needed. These types of permits are known as open work permits.
As an exception, you can apply for an open work permit if you:

have applied for permanent residence in Canada under the live-in caregiver class and your application has been *approved in principle;
or

are a **family member of the person listed above and you are included in their application for permanent residence.
To apply for a work permit:
1. You must send an Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta.

2. You must include a copy of your letter of approval in principle.

3. Visit our Web site to see how long it may take to process your application.

To help avoid delays or a refusal, make sure that you:

properly complete and sign the application form(s);
include all the documents listed on the Document Checklist (IMM 5556);
make your payment either on our Web site a credit card or at a financial institution (e.g. a bank) with an official Receipt (IMM 5401). If you apply for more than one service on a single application, you have to add the cost for each service; and
include the proof of payment.

* Approved in principle means that you received a letter from the Case Processing Centre or the local office stating that you are eligible to apply for permanent resident status but that a final decision will not be made until all requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for you and, if applicable, your family members.

**A family member is a spouse, common-law partner, dependant child or dependant child of a dependant child.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Has your spouse applied under the Live-in-Caregiver class?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
POLICAP said:
PPM: Below is the information I got from CIC:

Generally, Work Permits are job specific. If you want to apply for a work permit, you need:

a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from Human Resources and Social Development Canada; and
a job offer from a specific employer.

In some cases, work permits are not job specific, so no job offer or LMO is needed. These types of permits are known as open work permits.
As an exception, you can apply for an open work permit if you:

have applied for permanent residence in Canada under the live-in caregiver class and your application has been *approved in principle;
or

are a **family member of the person listed above and you are included in their application for permanent residence.
To apply for a work permit:
1. You must send an Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta.

2. You must include a copy of your letter of approval in principle.

3. Visit our Web site to see how long it may take to process your application.

To help avoid delays or a refusal, make sure that you:

properly complete and sign the application form(s);
include all the documents listed on the Document Checklist (IMM 5556);
make your payment either on our Web site a credit card or at a financial institution (e.g. a bank) with an official Receipt (IMM 5401). If you apply for more than one service on a single application, you have to add the cost for each service; and
include the proof of payment.

* Approved in principle means that you received a letter from the Case Processing Centre or the local office stating that you are eligible to apply for permanent resident status but that a final decision will not be made until all requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for you and, if applicable, your family members.

**A family member is a spouse, common-law partner, dependant child or dependant child of a dependant child.
In that case, why are you referring to information about Live-in-Caregiver class applications?