+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open WorK permit Extension and Student permit in Parallel - Is it Possible ?

lrow

Star Member
Mar 16, 2010
Hi ,

I am on a Work Permit and I am about to apply for Work permit Extension soon . I am planning to apply for my Wife's " Open Work permit " Extension along with it .
However, My wife has some plans to apply for Study permit as well .

Is it possible to apply for Student Permit while " OPEN WORK PERMIT EXTENSION " is in progress ?
OR
Should we write letter to CIC to Explain this ?

Vice versa --- Is it possible to apply for " OPEN WORK PERMIT EXTENSION " while Student Permit is in progress ?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lrow said:
Hi ,

I am on a Work Permit and I am about to apply for Work permit Extension soon . I am planning to apply for my Wife's " Open Work permit " Extension along with it .
However, My wife has some plans to apply for Study permit as well .

Is it possible to apply for Student Permit while " OPEN WORK PERMIT EXTENSION " is in progress ?
OR
Should we write letter to CIC to Explain this ?

Vice versa --- Is it possible to apply for " OPEN WORK PERMIT EXTENSION " while Student Permit is in progress ?
No, you have a choice, either a work permit or a study permit. Not both.

lrow

Star Member
Mar 16, 2010
Thanks PMM ,
So in this case suppose if my Wife wants to apply for a Stdent Permit and her Open Work Permit extension is in progress , We need to withdraw it and apply for Student Permit .
My Question here Do we explicity need to withdraw it Or can it be mentioned somehow during Student Permit application that WorK permit extension is in progress and we would like to withdraw it ?

Regards,
lrow