+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit and TRV

samkian

Feb 25, 2013
Hello guys,
I need some information about TRV and open work permit. I’m married and I live and work in Montreal, but my wife lives in Iran.
We got our CSQ through PEQ program and we have applied for permanent residency (in one application, not separate applications).
Since the process of getting permanent residency can take up to 20 months, my wife and I have to find another way to bring her here. I think she can get open work permit and visa to come to Montreal and live here. But I’m not sure about the process. Who should apply for her? Should I apply for her from Montreal or should she apply for herself from Ankara (since there’s no Canada embassy in Iran)?
Should she apply for an open work permit, work permit or only a visa?
If someone clarifies this for me, I would be really thankful.

Cheers,
Kian

sklin

Star Member
Mar 2, 2013
samkian said:
Hello guys,
I need some information about TRV and open work permit. I'm married and I live and work in Montreal, but my wife lives in Iran.
We got our CSQ through PEQ program and we have applied for permanent residency (in one application, not separate applications).
Since the process of getting permanent residency can take up to 20 months, my wife and I have to find another way to bring her here. I think she can get open work permit and visa to come to Montreal and live here. But I'm not sure about the process. Who should apply for her? Should I apply for her from Montreal or should she apply for herself from Ankara (since there's no Canada embassy in Iran)?

Cheers,
Kian
You can apply open work permit for her online. you will see what documents you need online, and remember submit all prove that you are apply permanent resident already, such as: AOR. and marriage certificate copy with English translation. Even there is no Embassy office in Iran, cic will indicate an embassy office to follow up her case, it means she will get medical exam request and passport for visa request from this embassy office.
My country does not have an embassy office too, but my visa was received from an embassy office in the other country. Good Luck!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
samkian said:
Hello guys,
I need some information about TRV and open work permit. I'm married and I live and work in Montreal, but my wife lives in Iran.
Since the process of getting permanent residency can take up to 20 months, my wife and I have to find another way to bring her here. I think she can get open work permit and visa to come to Montreal and live here. But I'm not sure about the process. Who should apply for her? Should I apply for her from Montreal or should she apply for herself from Ankara (since there's no Canada embassy in Iran)?

Cheers,
Kian
In addition to what sklin already said, let me clarify a few things. Your wife will be the primary applicant. So it is her who applies and signs the forms. In case of online application, you only print and sign the family information form and upload the scanned versions. For the other forms such IMM1295E (work permit form), you can type name in blocks in place of signatures.

Your profile details such as your job letter, bank statement, income of evidence and your already submitted application for permanent residence should be along. Also your wife's educational documents and job experience letters (if any) would help.

If you need any further details, let me know. I have applied for my work permit and wife's open work permit and currently about to go for medicals. So i am pretty well informed. Am also destined for Montreal.

samkian

Feb 25, 2013
Thanks sklin and fkl,

So just to make sure, the best way to bring my wife to Canada is to apply for an open work permit, right? and she can do it herself from Iran either online or via mail (with documents about my occupation, income, bank statements, ... that I'll provide for her)?
or any better solutions exist that I'm not aware of?!

btw, last night I received a letter from citizenship and immigration Canada containing medical forms. I know it's not related to this topic, but do you know how long does it take from medical to passport request?

Thanks again :)

sklin

Star Member
Mar 2, 2013
samkian said:
Thanks sklin and fkl,

So just to make sure, the best way to bring my wife to Canada is to apply for an open work permit, right? and she can do it herself from Iran either online or via mail (with documents about my occupation, income, bank statements, ... that I'll provide for her)?
or any better solutions exist that I'm not aware of?!

btw, last night I received a letter from citizenship and immigration Canada containing medical forms. I know it's not related to this topic, but do you know how long does it take from medical to passport request?

Thanks again :)
If I were you I would not apply the OWP yet at this moment, because your PR visa is on the way soon.

mbagheri

Star Member
Sep 5, 2013
I have same situation and I am in Calgary. Here I got my Alberta nominee and applied for PR. Recently I added my wife to my application and she has also done her medical exam. She applied for OPW (seems more likely than visitor visa) but nothing heard after 2 months.
I am not a very optimistic about OPW application because I heard it might be rejected since she has a PR application under process and again officer could say I am not satisfied you wont overstay, crazy!!!

samkian

Feb 25, 2013
So sklin you think that we'll get our PR visas in a few months?

Hi mbagheri, I think you should still wait. If your wife has applied through Ankara office, the processing time for work permit is about 5 months.

mbagheri

Star Member
Sep 5, 2013
samkian said:

Hi mbagheri, I think you should still wait. If your wife has applied through Ankara office, the processing time for work permit is about 5 months.
NO she was studying in England then we have applied London which processing time is 3 months, and now we are passing 9th week, so I am a little bit positive since we have not reject yet

sklin

Star Member
Mar 2, 2013
samkian said:

Yes, you can check there are many threads people got visa in a few months after medical exam. According to the processing of work permit, properly it will be around the close time. But for security, you can try it, just spend $150 more, not a big deal if you can prepare documents easily.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
mbagheri said:
NO she was studying in England then we have applied London which processing time is 3 months, and now we are passing 9th week, so I am a little bit positive since we have not reject yet
There is an active thread on this forum about work permits at London visa office where people have been getting work permits in the last few months with an average processing time of 13-14 weeks. So you should be hearing from them soon. 9th week is a little early.

mbagheri

Star Member
Sep 5, 2013
they respond my inquiry about in what stage is our application. they said
"the verifications are carried out by an office in Canada and we are only informed once the review is complete. The processing time on our website is a general guideline - the majority of cases are finalized within 8 to 10 weeks however cases that require additional processing e.g. a mandatory review or a medical etc may take longer. "
I am not sure but I feel they will send the application to Canada for confirmation and background check, so it would be good news for us then,
what do you guys think?

samkian

Feb 25, 2013
Thank you all for your responses. I'm still thinking about applying for OPW as well, but haven't decided yet.

one more question. Although my wife leaves in Iran and I have mentioned it in my application, in the medical forms they have used my Montreal address for my wife too! Is it ok or should I contact them to make sure everything is alright?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
samkian said:
Thank you all for your responses. I'm still thinking about applying for OPW as well, but haven't decided yet.

one more question. Although my wife leaves in Iran and I have mentioned it in my application, in the medical forms they have used my Montreal address for my wife too! Is it ok or should I contact them to make sure everything is alright?

I think you should contact them to make sure. Because she won't take medicals in Canada but rather in Iran or nearby visa office.

RAJ_74

Star Member
Aug 2, 2013
fkl said:
In addition to what sklin already said, let me clarify a few things. Your wife will be the primary applicant. So it is her who applies and signs the forms. In case of online application, you only print and sign the family information form and upload the scanned versions. For the other forms such IMM1295E (work permit form), you can type name in blocks in place of signatures.

Your profile details such as your job letter, bank statement, income of evidence and your already submitted application for permanent residence should be along. Also your wife's educational documents and job experience letters (if any) would help.

If you need any further details, let me know. I have applied for my work permit and wife's open work permit and currently about to go for medicals. So i am pretty well informed. Am also destined for Montreal.
Dear FKL,
Since u have applied for OWP and almost through now,please tell me list of documents u attached with application.As u said AOR must be attached,Kindly re-confirm me as I have applied in CEC category.Which strem of immigration u applied.
Regards,
Rajinder.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
RAJ_74 said:
Dear FKL,
Since u have applied for OWP and almost through now,please tell me list of documents u attached with application.As u said AOR must be attached,Kindly re-confirm me as I have applied in CEC category.Which strem of immigration u applied.
Regards,
Rajinder.
Dear Rajinder,

Saw your PM first, so already responded there.