+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OOPNP - Is having a valid status in Canada a requirement of OOPNP?

fat_penguin

Star Member
Dec 5, 2014
Hi all,

1) Is having a valid status in Canada or residing in Canada a requirement of the newly announced OOPNP?

2) If the applicant applies while on a valid status (work/study permit) and while living in Canada, but their permit expires while the PNP application is in process and they are now on implied status as a result of an ongoing work permit application with the CIC?

Cheers!

Amrinder_Harika

Star Member
Aug 2, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
6 August,2013
LANDED..........
4 September,2013
This is the reply i got from Opportunities Ontario sometime back. It might be useful to you.

Foreign nationals are responsible for remaining in status in Canada while their application is being processed. It is the responsibility of these individuals to renew, extend or apply for proper temporary resident status in Canada throughout their stay in the country even after they are nominated. If you need to depart Canada because you no longer have valid status or your status will not be renewed, you are required to contact this office and provide details of your situation along with a complete signed ‘Change of Personal Information’ form. Please ensure you include your email address. Change of Personal Information form can be found at: http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPFORMS.html

fat_penguin said:
Hi all,

1) Is having a valid status in Canada or residing in Canada a requirement of the newly announced OOPNP?

2) If the applicant applies while on a valid status (work/study permit) and while living in Canada, but their permit expires while the PNP application is in process and they are now on implied status as a result of an ongoing work permit application with the CIC?

Cheers!

flystanny

Mar 14, 2012
Amrinder_Harika said:
This is the reply i got from Opportunities Ontario sometime back. It might be useful to you.

Foreign nationals are responsible for remaining in status in Canada while their application is being processed. It is the responsibility of these individuals to renew, extend or apply for proper temporary resident status in Canada throughout their stay in the country even after they are nominated. If you need to depart Canada because you no longer have valid status or your status will not be renewed, you are required to contact this office and provide details of your situation along with a complete signed ‘Change of Personal Information' form. Please ensure you include your email address. Change of Personal Information form can be found at: http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPFORMS.html

Hi Amrinder,

So does this mean I cannot apply if I do not live in Canada?

fat_penguin

Star Member
Dec 5, 2014
Can an applicant be granted a nomination if their status changes from valid status to implied status (due to a work permit application)??!?!

Does Opportunities Ontario consider implied status to be a valid status to finalize an application? Or would they delay giving an answer until the work permit application is finalized?

Amrinder_Harika

Star Member
Aug 2, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
6 August,2013
LANDED..........
4 September,2013
Hey,

Please disregard what i said it might not be valid in your case.

Let me add more context. My study permit was about to expire and i had applied for Post grad work permit(work permit applications take annoying long time to process around three months). Considering a time will come when I will have a expired study permit and no work permit, I asked PNP people if this will affect my application. At this time, they replied me with above mentioned text. It was for OPNP-Masters Stream not this OOPNP(i just got to know about this stream).

flystanny said:
Hi Amrinder,

So does this mean I cannot apply if I do not live in Canada?

Amrinder_Harika

Star Member
Aug 2, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
6 August,2013
LANDED..........
4 September,2013
I personally feel, it is ok. Even if you are on implied status,that is fine till the time you are in Canada and have applied for work permit/extension.

If there is something else, like work permit is about to expire and no way to extending it, thats a different case.

fat_penguin said:
Can an applicant be granted a nomination if their status changes from valid status to implied status (due to a work permit application)??!?!

Does Opportunities Ontario consider implied status to be a valid status to finalize an application? Or would they delay giving an answer until the work permit application is finalized?