+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario FSW Pilot

ddq

Nov 13, 2012
Dear O_Canada:

Thanks for sharing your rationale. In your cons section, items #2 and #3 would pertain in any scenario, both with and without PR on hand, e.g. even if you have a PR, you'd need to leave a job and sustain risk inherent with immigration. As for item #1, I do not have solution for that, but I do not believe lack of clearance as to how to deposit passport for PR visa should prevent anyone from moving to Canada. I decided for myself to consult a professional immigration lawyer here in Toronto once I reach that point. In the worst case scenario, you can fly back to your home country, deposit the passport back there, wait for the stamp and fly back. $1.5k for the ticket. And I don't believe that scenario would ever need to happen.

Also, I don't see any substantial differences as if I had PR status here:

1. OHIP: I got my OHIP 3 months after starting working
2. Continuation of status: if the 2 years expire before I get the PR, I'll apply for the bridging visa.
3. My employer only asked for SSN, the company was only interested to know I am legally authorized to work in Canada. They didn't seem to care if I had PR or Open Work Permit status. Of course, I realize I am currently in a market with high demand and lack of workers (mobile software), but I honestly don't see why an employer would care about your status as long as you can legally work.

The only difference I currently see is that without PR, you cannot incorporate your own company. But that's a totally different story..

Best Wishes,
ddq

O_Canada said:
Dear Hadeel1234 , zizu .

If you read first line from Hooverback , it says :

If you're in a good job, I suggest you to wait in your home country till you receive your PR.

If this line is not applicable to any of us and or considering other factors which outweigh ( Waiting since so long and want to move to Canada at any cost, Living temporary life,Its getting boring at home country, Security issues at home country e.g in Syria / Egypt / Other risky Middle East places) and forces us to leave current job /country and move to Canada then we should move to Canada on this OWP .

Pros :
- You will be able to come to Canada at least once ( ir-respective PR is approved or not ) while we are waiting since so long.
- Understand what Canada is all about , its climate , culture, economy etc and is this what you were expecting after coming here.
- At least you will be able to try your luck in the Canadian job markete , may be you are lucky and land into a good or at least a survival job. So its worth to try it at least once.
- If CIC changes their mood they might take too long to process PR applications and may create another backlog which they might want to wipe out in future :) so at least u will be able to apply in CEC ( Canadian Experience Class etc ) ..

Cons :

- If our Passport request is coming , based upon the embassy where they are processing our application they will ask us to send our passports to home country, That step needs to be tackled : We have not discovered any remedy for that. Although some people have found that remedy but they are keeping that secret formula with them and do not want others to get benefited out of their research. Don't worry we will post it here once we are able to find its working solution.
- You will loose your good paying job at home country if you are mentally / financially satisfied there ( your may take leave without pay ).
- You will have to bear financial stress , as Canada is all about having $ in your pockets , if you do not have $ in your pockets life is not easy in Canada as every thing comes with $ here. ( So plan your budget.)

Suggestions to Mitigate Risks :

- I will suggest if there is a possibility take a Leave without Pay ( 2-3 Months ) from current job so that your job at home country is safe and you have some fall back plan in case you are not able to find a job which suits you in Canada .

- First come alone, Do not bring family with you unless they have not had any international holidays and you were saving some funds for Holidays abroad , because coming here without any job and bringing your wholefamily means you are on International holidays as you need to have a place to stay, spend for their daily expenses , pay for medical insurance / travel etc and you won't get medical insurance ( OHIP ) unless you have a full time job ( At least 6 months duration ) .

Summary :

So friends do your calculations and plan your trips / take risks accordingly. May GOD this Canadian dream becomes success for every one. Good Luck to All.

O_Canada

Jan 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ddq said:
Dear O_Canada:

Thanks for sharing your rationale. In your cons section, items #2 and #3 would pertain in any scenario, both with and without PR on hand, e.g. even if you have a PR, you'd need to leave a job and sustain risk inherent with immigration. As for item #1, I do not have solution for that, but I do not believe lack of clearance as to how to deposit passport for PR visa should prevent anyone from moving to Canada. I decided for myself to consult a professional immigration lawyer here in Toronto once I reach that point. In the worst case scenario, you can fly back to your home country, deposit the passport back there, wait for the stamp and fly back. $1.5k for the ticket. And I don't believe that scenario would ever need to happen.

Also, I don't see any substantial differences as if I had PR status here:

2. Continuation of status: if the 2 years expire before I get the PR, I'll apply for the bridging visa.
3. My employer only asked for SSN, the company was only interested to know I am legally authorized to work in Canada. They didn't seem to care if I had PR or Open Work Permit status. Of course, I realize I am currently in a market with high demand and lack of workers (mobile software), but I honestly don't see why an employer would care about your status as long as you can legally work.

The only difference I currently see is that without PR, you cannot incorporate your own company. But that's a totally different story..

Best Wishes,
ddq
Dear ddq,

Risk on OWP is that you won't get OHIP till you have a full time JOB which is beyond 6 months duration and 3 months wait starts from the day you start your full time job, in case of PR whole family will get OHIP 3 months after landing ir-respective of having a job or not. .

I agree Point 2 & 3 will be a challenge in both the categories ( PR Vs OWP ) but the risk from #1 makes us think is it worth to take risk for Point 2 & 3 when we are not sure about Point #1 . As I said a person has to do his/her calculations before making their move and do proper planning.

I am not discouraging anyone from coming here . I am just sharing what are the challenges faced once we land here as its like a start of new life and every one is not working in a high demand work category. But as you know exceptions and good lucks are always there.

In case we have to go back for stamping just because of poor processes set by CIC then its a waste of time / effort / money & emotions . CIC should at least keep a provision of issuing OHIP & Completing PR landing within Canada for those who have traveled to Canada using OWP in this Pilot program Category. But as you know CIC is CIC they have history of repeating such type of mistakes and they know they can do it in any ways they like afterall their Developed Country PR offer is in demand among all the citizens from developing or collapsed/ing economies.

mm15744

Star Member
May 28, 2012
Dear ddq and O_Canada,
I just want to know:

1. Once we are in Canada under OWP, why we can not send our passport back to CIC in our country (for me it Philippines) for VISA stamping of PR once passport req recieved via your email?
2. Is Fedex, DHL or equivalent Canada courier wont accept to carry and ship passport overseas?
3. It's not clear to my what is the difference of a) you are in your country and b) you are in canada once passport request came in.
4. Why do you need to fly back to home land, is sending passport oversea not possible?

Your previous input are very very helpful and a real valid consideration in making decision.
Pls enlighten me for my question above.

Thanks.

rane

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-12-2012
Nomination.....
05-10-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
IELTS Request
13-12-2012
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
27-07-2013
Passport Req..
Hopefully soon!!
VISA ISSUED...
Hopefully soon!!
LANDED..........
As soon as I receive the magical maple sticker!!
Hi mm15744,

Per Indian law, its illegal to send/receive passport by mail/courier across Indian boundaries. If your country does not have a similar law, you should be able to send it by DHL. You could visit DHL's website to check the list of items which can be sent and received from Philippines.

This passport sending issue is applicable to Indians.

rafiariz

Mar 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
october 2012
AOR Received.
feb 2013
Med's Request
feb 2013
Med's Done....
feb 2013
Passport Req..
august 2013
VISA ISSUED...
sep 2013
Finally after eight years, visa issued and stamped!

Patience is the name of the game i guess.

Best of luck to all other applicants!

vuexperts

Jun 10, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear Your PR visa stamped ,as i think you lastly said you did not apply for OWP.

If PR/ OWP , best of luck and best wishes

rafiariz said:
Finally after eight years, visa issued and stamped!

Patience is the name of the game i guess.

Best of luck to all other applicants!

DCCMJ

Star Member
Nov 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-11-2012
Doc's Request.
26-03-2013
Nomination.....
08-10-2012
AOR Received.
17-01-2013
Med's Request
waiting
zizu said:
I second your comments on that... There are so many of us who have been waiting for 5+ years to get there and going on OWP rather than waiting for GOD knows how long (some of us have been waiting since 2006 - FSW backlog anyone???) just doesn't make sense.

Granted, Canadian Job market is not very kind... But you have to take the risk to know whether it's gonna work in your favor or not... And for me, it's the first chance since 2006 that I am getting and I am getting tired of living a temp. Life here 'cause eventually I gotta go to Canada.

So yes hoverback and rp_tp... You guys may have a valid point... But if struggle and waiting is something that is being done here while waiting for these PAFSO guys to finish off their strike.... Then I'd rather struggle in Canada for my job hunt rather than sitting idle here...

@ hadeel1234 - I am planning for November , what about you??? Who else here has got OWP and is planning to go???

zizu
Have you received your OWP visa? I'm waiting after 2 weeks of Medical.

vineethere

Jun 4, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-09-2012
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
25-06-2013
Med's Request
25-11-2013
Med's Done....
05-12-2013
Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
Hi all - i come from OPNP category and hold OWP and planning to travel Oct 1st week to Toronto. I got he visa in April of this yr and my PR is in 2nd AOR stage in NDVO. I too had lots of confusion whether to go on OWP or not. Finally, i decided to take the leap. It is a very risky situation, believe me. Many folks already think that i am mad and retarted.

here are my points -

1. I was working in Toronto for 6-7 months few yrs back, so have few contacts and managers who said they can see if they can help, but they said i need to be physically present, else they cannot help if i am in India (meaning, no one will even talk if you are not present in Canada).
2. I am coming alone right now and already took a 1BHK in Scarborough for $350 pm (luckily owner is an Indian guy).
3. I found out that i am directly eligible for G2 DL, so will apply for that as soon as i land.
4. I have a valid US B1/B2 visa, so i have also got information from ppl who had US visa and flagpoled earlier. Actually, one need not even go to US border to flagpole. Do you know that, one can also go to the Immigration dept in Toronto, take an appt and flagpole sitting in Toronto itself??I know people who have done both ways, so i can see.
5. Only one issue is - when PPR comes in India, i need to send the passport via courier back to my family in Bangalore, who will then send it to NDVO. Once my family receives PP with PR stamping, they need to courier my passport alone to Canada. Pls remember that sending PP via courier according to Indian law is illegal (its written in the passport itself). This is one tricky thing that i need to see. If someone is traveling back and forth exactly when i want, then its even better. Need to see this....
6. I am a Project Manager here in Bangalore working for a American company with 13yrs of exp. Now, if i go to Canada in the mindset that i want ONLY project Manager jobs, then as you say, it may be difficult. One cannot be so choosy. I am coming with OPEN mind (like my Open WP visa my mind is also Open!!! ) I am open to do even a basic engineer or data entry operator job to start with and create a base.
7. I do not understand one thing though - yes, for companies to offer full time employment, a PR is preferred, but there are many contract jobs for 12months, etc. How does it matter to those companies who have contraact jobs whether the person is a PR or OWP holder??
8. WIth this PAFSO, i dont know when we will get the PR. I actually applied under FSW category in 2006, but luckily last yr, they asked me if i am interested in PNP category. I said YES. So, in short, i have been waiting since 2006 (you can say).
8. To be honest, i have even seen ppl having PR and still struggle.

-Vineet
Note - any other OWP folks planning to fly shortly or already there in Canada, pls PM me. We can see how we can help each other.

vuexperts

Jun 10, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear OWP visa will come after minimum 20 days and maximum 30 days

so be relax

DCCMJ said:

Hadeel1234

Sep 27, 2011
Iraq
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
Nomination.....
17-9-2012
AOR Received.
03-01-2013
File Transfer...
20-02-2014
Med's Request
23-07-2014
Med's Done....
05-08-2014
Thanks ddq and O_Canada for your valuable comments

here are the main reason that makes me want to take the step of moving to Canada

1- I am Iraqi living in Iraq (if you watch the news you should have a clue about how life is risky in terms of security)
2- I already have a good job in Iraq (telecom software field) , I am optimistic about my chances to get a job there
3- My kids will join school soon , and I do not want to confuse them by joining school in Iraq and then moving to Canada
4- Iraq have no rules restrictions about sending passports by DHL...if the PR got approved
5- I am going to face the difficulties of job hunting sooner or later , with or without PR
6- I am in my thirties of age , I think time is valuable in terms of starting a new life

Appreciate your comments

rafiariz

Mar 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
october 2012
AOR Received.
feb 2013
Med's Request
feb 2013
Med's Done....
feb 2013
Passport Req..
august 2013
VISA ISSUED...
sep 2013
Applied in Oct 2012
AOR Feb 2013
medical request + RPRF + Updated bank statement mid feb 2013
Mid Aug 2013 - Passport request

Applied from Pakistan

I got my medical done in last week of feb 2013

re-london-im-enquiry @ international.gc.ca(AOR, medical)

LDNIMMIGRATION @ international.gc.ca (PPR)

zain92

Nov 27, 2012
thanks rafia.. if i am not wrong you applied in 2005 and you are PNP case?

and are you in software developement?

zizu

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2012
Doc's Request.
28-03-2013, 01-04-2014, 01-06-2015,05-08-2015
AOR Received.
22-01-2013
Med's Request
01-09-2013, 01-06-2015
Med's Done....
01-09-2013, 01-06,2015
Passport Req..
22-09-2015,15-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-oct-2015
LANDED..........
1-nov-2015
DCCMJ said:
Yes I did... Almost 2 weeks after my medicals... Although the IOM was e-enabled and they said they'll upload the results within 48 hrs of my medical(unless there are complications and more tests are required)...

Do let me know when u get it and your plans in terms of leaving for Canada ....

zizu

zizu

Star Member
Jul 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2012
Doc's Request.
28-03-2013, 01-04-2014, 01-06-2015,05-08-2015
AOR Received.
22-01-2013
Med's Request
01-09-2013, 01-06-2015
Med's Done....
01-09-2013, 01-06,2015
Passport Req..
22-09-2015,15-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-oct-2015
LANDED..........
1-nov-2015
Dear O_canada, ddq,

Good to see a healthy and constructive debate on pros and cons of taking the OWP plunge... Your comments are not just helpful for people like me but also to silent readers / lurkers of this forum...

I agree with your assessment and to me it looks like one has to decide on the basis of risks that they feel comfortable in taking...

zizu